Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-24-2021, 02:14 PM
zukiphile
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
What's the appeal?

The other thread about how S&W might improve the 41 shook loose this question.

I don't have a 41, but I've kicked the idea around. They are plainly held in high regard by many, though I read about lots of problems. I've had one experience shooting a friend's decades ago. The trigger was set north of three pounds, and he stressed that it could only shoot standard velocity rounds. He treated it like a Faberge egg. I didn't shoot well with it that day, but that could also have been the big scope he had on it.

The simplicity of the design is attractive, but the safety looks as if it isn't meant to be used, and the magazine release looks largely obstructed by many grips.

Is the draw that it's a classic? No one who buys a 1965 Corvette thinks he is getting the best transportation; it's the beauty and reminiscence he is buying. Is that what a 41 is about?

I'm not throwing stones. I've always had a Ruger product of one kind or another, and I know they can be a bit rough. I could tell you the virtues of a MKII pistol, but that wouldn't make them superlative overall.

What about the 41 makes you want to leave about $1,000 tied up in at least one?
Old 03-24-2021, 02:46 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Zukiphile, I think this is one of those things that if you have to ask you probably don't want one.

For me it was years of lusting after the classic lines and enviable scores watching my buddies shoot them in bullseye league.

No need, just want. And if you don't want, don't get. Lots of other beauties out there to drain your wallet on

Frank

Last edited by LtCrunch; 03-24-2021 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I pretty much agree with LtCrunch's answer. The first thing that appealed to me 50 some years ago was the classic lines and appearance of the model 41. It took me about 20 years before I owned my first one, and since then I have owned 3 or 4 different specimens and have had nary a problem with any of them. The safety on a model 41 is small and normally very difficult to maneuver. Since mine were purely used for target and range use, I seldom ever used the safety. The slide lock was not an issue for me because I always used the sling-shot method to release the slide. Although my model 41 is drilled and tapped for scope or red dot, I have always just used open sights. I also own a couple of MKII Ruger target pistols and enjoy shooting them very much, but the model 41 just has a heft and feel all of it's own, and while I don't shoot it as often as my Rugers, I would find it very difficult to let mine go. I would say if the urge stays with you long enough, and you have an opportunity to pick one up at a decent price, I would go for it. It's something that should maintain it's value quite nicely for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2021, 04:04 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
96% (17)
They are a classic and a nice looking pistol I have one because I wanted one! Is it better than my volquartsen scorpion not I’m my opinion! But I like the way it feels when you shoot it! And a must for anyone serious about owning accurate 22 target pistols! Safety works fine on mine ! I have seen some that are very hard to engage! And the take down is very nice for cleaning or changing barrels!
Old 03-24-2021, 04:11 PM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What's the appeal of the S&W model 41?

For me it's the grace of the design, their old school wood and metal construction, the smoothness of it's operation, their accuracy potential, and the ability to hold their value.

About the safety and mag release; this pistol was designed for competition use and not for concealed carry, so the safety is minimal in size, and the magazine release is often somewhat obscured by anatomical grips, but again, these pistols weren't meant for exchanges of 10 rounds or more on a movie set.

"What about the 41 makes you want to leave about $1,000 tied up in at least one?"

It's pretty clear that you chosing the phrase "tied up" in the above question seems to indicate that you already have a preconcieved notion that spending the money on a S&W model 41 would not be a worthwhile endeavour for you, and that's fine...you can leave that up to those of us who have no problem doing so
Old 03-24-2021, 04:21 PM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBone View Post
"What about the 41 makes you want to leave about $1,000 tied up in at least one?"

It's pretty clear that you chosing the phrase "tied up" in the above question seems to indicate that you already have a preconcieved notion that spending the money on a S&W model 41 would not be a worthwhile endeavour for you,...
No, that isn't clear.

"Tied up" refers to the fact that whatever one owns, the equity entangled in that ownership. Owning a house doesn't mean that it isn't worthwhile to own one, but it does tie up whatever equity you have in it.

I pose the question because there clearly is an answer to it for many people, and I am curious to read their answers.
Old 03-24-2021, 04:38 PM
sicumj
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I purchased my first 41 when 18 yrs old. Shot it a few years and had to sell it. Later purchased my second one which I still have. I have owned Match Target Colts, Challengers, and Rugers. None have the appeal to me that the 41 does. By changing barrels I can shoot red dot, scope, or open sights within minutes. It is my favorite pistol.
Old 03-24-2021, 04:40 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
I got one because I shot a buddy's at my club and found the whole package just felt "right." Good trigger, good ergonomics, dead-nuts accurate. I found one here on RFC used -- a 7-incher, and it is good fun to shoot. I do have other American made pistols that will do pretty well. The Ruger Mk pistols come to mind, anything with a VQ barrel is always in contention, and I recently found out they make these semi-autos called "High Standard," which can do OK.

Mine has never given me a lick of trouble, runs like a clock. . . what's not to like?

BTW, I don't tend to get wrapped around the axle of brand loyalty. If a firearm shoots accurately and reliably, I am in for a good day at the range, and that is about all I ask from the equipment.

Why tie up $1,000? Well I didn't pay nearly that, but you could also ask "why tie up $700?" and it is really the same question. I guess I view it as a rental fee to have some fun. If it stops being fun I will sell it on and get back most of what I paid for it. I feel that way about cameras, watches, and bicycles -- I get the best I can afford. I don't feel that way about cars, houses, or my lawn mower, which I view as transportation, rain protection, and the dang biggest waste of time invented by man, respectively.

And BTW, if the next guy down the firing line has found his bliss with a Ruger 22/45? It is all good.
Old 03-24-2021, 04:42 PM
Rimfiregal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shot Ruger Marks and vintage High Standard up through the Victor, but only recently sank the money a Model 41.

As for shooting, I loved the balance, heft and the trigger. I found it to be one of the easiest ever 22 auto to shoot and my scores showed it. Unfortunately, this was a recent production Model 41 and there were definitely some QC issues that needed to be resolved. The sometimes on the blitz safety was one of them. I eventually sold the pistol, but I had no regrets about having had a chance to shoot one. When it was running the way it should, the 41 was a pleasure to shoot.
Old 03-24-2021, 05:01 PM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
... I recently found out they make these semi-autos called "High Standard," which can do OK.
I started down that road a couple of decades ago. I tried one owned by the best shot in my club. I liked the weight, the sights were excellent, the grips was comfortable, and I loved the idea of the push-button take down. I told him to let me know if he were ever going to sell it. We came to a price, and I owned it for about a month.

Back then, I shot about five hours a week. I didn't develop any affection for it despite its objective merits, and it went on to be someone else's new pistol.

I can explain my affection for Ruger designs. The common thread in the MKs and 10/22s I've owned is that these are designed to be cheaply manufactured, yet they generally have excellent durability. So far as I can tell, Ruger has never offered the public an actual, finished MK or 10/22. They are more like kits that can be turned into a usable firearm with sufficient time and attention. Yes, it's a firearm. It's also a project, a test and a challenge. They are the 80% lowers of rimfires.

This seems to be the very opposite of 41s. S&W doesn't appear to have left you a lot to do (recent QC issues aside), and there also doesn't seem to be a huge demand to substantially alter or replace what S&W did before letting the pistol out the door.

Last edited by zukiphile; 03-24-2021 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2021, 05:59 PM
Patriot_MD
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
Zukiphile, I think this is one of those things that if you have to ask you probably don't want one.

For me it was years of lusting after the classic lines and enviable scores watching my buddies shoot them in bullseye league.

No need, just want. And if you don't want, don't get. Lots of other beauties out there to drain your wallet on

Frank
Well said, Frank. This is the most logical and accurate explanation.
Old 03-24-2021, 06:36 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (272)
I've had mine for 30 years (a 1986-vintage) and it will be with me for the duration. How it looks, how it feels, how it shoots. The finish on mine is superb. The take-down for cleaning (or swapping barrels) is a piece of cake. What's not to like?

I have only one pistol I like better -- my Browning Medalist.

Doug

Last edited by dbr65; 03-24-2021 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-24-2021, 06:46 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Good Afternoon Zuk:

I shoot bullseye pistol.

Let me clarify that, I shoot bullseye pistol a lot. So far this week I have competed in three matches and I am disappointed that my Thursday night match is a "Bye" week.

I love shooting 22LR either out of a Rifle or a Pistol and have a admirable collection of high quality 22LR firearms. And I also inflected with a pride of ownership for the fine firearms that I posess.

I own two Model 41's, shoot them regularly. What I really like about the model 41 is how easy it is to switch barrels in the field. I also have a number of different barrels with various sighting devices on them that I use to let newbies to the sport try different optics on the same gun. I like the quality workmanship, how easy it is to tune the trigger, the bluing, the way it feels in my hand when I aim it at the target. I have rejected numerous offers to purchase my model 41's, would have a empty spot in my collection if I allowed that to happen.

While the model 41's are not my primary competition firearm, they do give me the confidence that my equipment will perform on the firing line. I know I am going to get a "X" on every shot.

Now my primary competition pistol is a Pardini SP New Bullseye edition, I also own a FWB AW 093, a Browning Medalist, a couple of K 22's, a Hammerli 162, a Pardini K22, and a Ruger Bisley, and I shoot all of them quite often. Also have 22 conversions for my 45 and my glock 17L. Right now, I am posting master level scores and the confidence I get from my firearms are a big part of my performance. With that being said, I have also been bested by fellow competitors using rugers, brownings, and victories. That is awesome. Me? I like my Model 41's and my other pistols.

I used to own a Ruger Mark II and competed with it. It is a fine weapon and capable of master level scores. Matter of fact, I did shoot a couple of master level matches using it too. The ruger did not appeal to me so I sold it to a up and coming shooter for a good price, primarily to get him in the game.

Quite frankly, see if you can shoot a model 41. Try it out for yourself. You will know if you want to own one or not.

Regards,
CRankster

Last edited by crankythunder; 03-24-2021 at 06:51 PM. Reason: misspellings added to verify authorship by engineer
Old 03-24-2021, 06:54 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
There's a reason why its a classic. By far nicest/most accurate 22lr pistol I own. If you ever get the chance to shoot one, I think you'll understand.

Last edited by randyman_ar; 03-24-2021 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-24-2021, 07:09 PM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To answer your question succinctly, it shoots better than the cheaper alternatives. That's why they keep selling well since 1957. You can't argue with success.