Kinda proud of this - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-24-2021, 08:14 PM
Nedsled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kinda proud of this

All I am doing is shortening an OEM stock but considering only tools were a $8 coping saw, small wood chisel, and a dremel, and zero woodworking experience (never underestimate the power of watching a buttload of youtube wordworking vids however), this came out pretty darn good by my standards.

The factory buttplate is not quite a clean fit, but no worse than how it fit from the factory, so I'll call it good.

The notch at the top is not as precise as the factory cut but at least it's clean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed (1) - Copy.jpg (490.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed - Copy.jpg (500.5 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Nedsled; 03-24-2021 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:00 PM
gomi_otaku

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Not bad. I was just looking at one of these last night and noticing how imprecise it is from the factory, and what I'd have to do if I needed to fit this to a stock. It looks pretty near perfect to me! I think they must run it over the sander after final fit to contour the butt plastic to the stock, then apply the wood finish over that, because there were traces of the wood finish overlapping onto the butt plastic.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:58 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think you are doing a fantastic job. I shortened my 10/22 for my son many years ago. It did not come out 1/2 as good as yours so you should be real proud to display your work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2021, 07:29 AM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (272)
Excellent!!!

Doug
Old 03-25-2021, 07:37 AM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Looks good to me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 03-25-2021, 09:52 AM
Nedsled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks all!

Also gonna reprofile the forearm end a bit, make it look a little niftier.

If I am gonna screw this up somehow, history foretells that it will be in the refinishing.

Despite all the internet wisdom on various oils and waxes and whatever I will probably just pull down a can of minwax stain and then spray it with a couple coats of water based polyurethane.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:52 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Very nice work. It's hard to believe this is your first attempt. If you're going to just spray it and be done, I would recommend using lacquer over using the polyurethane. It looks better, is not as picky as to how soon the subsequent coats need to be applied, and you can build up, sand, build up and sand to your heart's content, since the lacquer becomes one homogenous top coat.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:44 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
Very nice work. It's hard to believe this is your first attempt. If you're going to just spray it and be done, I would recommend using lacquer over using the polyurethane. It looks better, is not as picky as to how soon the subsequent coats need to be applied, and you can build up, sand, build up and sand to your heart's content, since the lacquer becomes one homogenous top coat.
THIS - The other way is good ol' TruOil and at minimum 4 coats.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:54 PM
Nedsled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
Cool, thanks! So, something like this?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Minwax-Glos...l-oz/999913803
Old 03-25-2021, 02:00 PM
Nedsled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomi_otaku View Post
Not bad. I was just looking at one of these last night and noticing how imprecise it is from the factory, and what I'd have to do if I needed to fit this to a stock. It looks pretty near perfect to me! I think they must run it over the sander after final fit to contour the butt plastic to the stock, then apply the wood finish over that, because there were traces of the wood finish overlapping onto the butt plastic.
Mine was not so well lined up. There was an obvious step between the stock and the plate on mine.

That is gonna be a huge PITA since now that the stock is shorter and therefore narrower, the top of the plate still has that step, but the bottom of the plate needs to be trimmed off, and my OCD is gonna demand that I make the step uniform all the way around. The plastic is super hard to sand.

So I gotta figure out if I am gonna buy a cheap belt sander to mount in a vise or just a decent file. Probably try the file first. Then will have to try to sand/polish so the edges don't look like a rat was gnawing on them.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:29 PM
gomi_otaku

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Maybe try scraping it with a sharp blade held at a 90 angle?
Old 03-25-2021, 02:43 PM
Barksdale123

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nice, your standards must be pretty high.
Old 03-25-2021, 03:43 PM
Nedsled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomi_otaku View Post
Maybe try scraping it with a sharp blade held at a 90 angle?
Ha!

I was hitting the edges of that thing (the top screw in bit) with a dremel sanding drum, like 80 grit or something, trying to bevel off the inside edges, and it barely made a dent.

Well, we'll see. Hopefully my patience doesn't run out to the point where I just start hacking at it with a pair of wire cutters or something.
Old 03-25-2021, 03:44 PM
Nedsled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barksdale123 View Post
Nice, your standards must be pretty high.
Never underestimate the power of OCD just looking for an outlet.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:38 PM
ZMan57

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedsled View Post
Hopefully my patience doesn't run out to the point where I just start hacking at it with a pair of wire cutters or something.
I hope so too!

INCREDIBLE quality/ATD so far, would be a shame