Clark bushings in stock. - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-14-2021, 10:03 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
98% (41)

how good are the VQ Mark II bushings when used with a full VQ Mark III kit?

Creep?

I might buy 2 or 3 Clark bushings/pins, but I have 6 or 7 Ruger Mark pistols. I need to count. Seriously, I lost track.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:51 PM
TacomaSlim

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post

Creep?

I might buy 2 or 3 Clark bushings/pins, but I have 6 or 7 Ruger Mark pistols. I need to count. Seriously, I lost track.
I've had Clark bushings that were tough to get installed in VQ hammers. They were extremely tight. Put the bushing in the freezer. 😉 Some may scoff, but I've seen it work and the trigger was as nice as any Ruger MK I've shot.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:54 PM
TacomaSlim

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSlim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post

Creep?

I've had Clark bushings that were tough to get installed in VQ hammers. They were extremely tight. Put the bushing in the freezer. 😉 Some may scoff, but I've seen it work and the trigger was as nice as any Ruger MK I've shot.
The VQ bushings work. The Clark bushings are a tighter fit, in general. YMMV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2021, 11:13 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The VQ bushings should be a very nice fit in a VQ hammer. I wouldn't expect any problems there.

As far as creep, VQ bushing shoulders are 7/16" diameter. That's the same as Ruger and Clark Mk2 bushings. They have way less creep than the 3/8" shoulders of the aftermarket Mk3 bushings

Note- The Ruger Mk3 & Mk4 mag disconnect bodies both have 7/16" shoulders as well. Whomever started the race to make aftermarket Mk3 bushings (and the laggers) was asleep and they only focused on making a cutout support.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:16 PM

TPC Rating: 
98% (41)
I was wondering about that. A M5 washer or 2 will take up that cut-out space, but it really doesn't look lile it would matter.

Anyone know if the VQ Mark II bushings have a slightly smaller i.d. for a better fit to the factory Ruger hammer pin?
Old 03-15-2021, 06:08 AM
Empe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empe View Post
Will these also work in the MK III with the magazine disconnect removed ?
Anybody ?
Old 03-15-2021, 10:00 AM
TacomaSlim

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Quote:
Will these also work in the MK III with the magazine disconnect removed ?
Anybody ?
It's my understanding they will work in the mag disc delete. I've never owned a MKIII though. You may want to post your question over in the MKIII forum.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:25 PM
Empe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSlim View Post
It's my understanding they will work in the mag disc delete. I've never owned a MKIII though. You may want to post your question over in the MKIII forum.
Thanks ...that's a good idea .
Old 03-15-2021, 04:53 PM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
As far as creep, VQ bushing shoulders are 7/16" diameter. That's the same as Ruger and Clark Mk2 bushings. They have way less creep than the 3/8" shoulders of the aftermarket Mk3 bushings
Does this mean that an old MKII bushing is a better choice for a MKIII than a Non-VQ, non-Clark stepped bushing?
Old 03-16-2021, 02:30 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile
Does this mean that an old MKII bushing is a better choice for a MKIII than a Non-VQ, non-Clark stepped bushing?
Yep.

IMO, the only good use for an aftermarket Mk3 bushing is to improve the jet on garden nozzles. They do work great for that!

Old 03-17-2021, 06:06 AM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
[Darn] you. [I originally used a common four letter word beginning with D, but the software showed four symbols, which looked like I was telling you to do something unnnatural.]

I spent last night taking my pistols apart and realized I've never worked with a MKIII hammer and sear in any of my 22/45s, even the MKIIIs. I think I just stripped all the MKIII stuff out and dropped VQ MKII parts in without dry firing the original parts.

So I took a MKIII disco delete bushing from a VQ MKIII kit to see how it works. I could not get it to work at all. I backed off the over travel screw completely and I still had to pound the hammer pivot pin out each time in order to disassemble it. The sear would not release.

Does the sear index off the largest diameter of the bushing or off the bottom of the hammer? If it's the former, the largest diameter of the MKIII bushing is so much smaller than the MKII bushing that I don't see how it would work.

But it came with a VQ kit, so it must work, right? I must have mixed and matched parts that were not interoperable between 2s and 3s to cause this.

This is going to distract me all day.

FWIW, I put my old stock MKIII hammer on a stock MKII bushing. With a stock MKII target trigger and a VQ sear, the the result was excellent -- long smooth creep with the movement very apparent in the pull. I think I prefer the Ruger target trigger over the VQ. How weird is that?

Last edited by zukiphile; 03-17-2021 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-18-2021, 01:26 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile
So I took a MKIII disco delete bushing from a VQ MKIII kit to see how it works. I could not get it to work at all. I backed off the over travel screw completely and I still had to pound the hammer pivot pin out each time in order to disassemble it. The sear would not release.
The trigger releases the sear at the same point of travel with either bushing. The difference is before release. The larger MKII bushing keeps some of the pull in pretravel, while the smaller MKIII bushing moves that portion of pretravel into creep.

I suspect you needed to back off the pretravel screw to get a reset.

Quote:
Does the sear index off the largest diameter of the bushing or off the bottom of the hammer? If it's the former, the largest diameter of the MKIII bushing is so much smaller than the MKII bushing that I don't see how it would work.
With the larger bushing, the shoulder sets/limits the depth of hammer notch engagement. With the smaller bushing, the safety does. That's really a good thing, or the sear would fall all the way into the hammer notch and the creep would be GIANT! That small shoulder doesn't come close to touching the sear.

Quote:
I think I prefer the Ruger target trigger over the VQ. How weird is that?
Not weird at all (to me). It's just easier to adjust the VQ trigger because you don't need to pull it out to do so. Once set right, I like the Ruger trigger better also.

BTW- Fed-X says my new Clark bushings will be delivered tomorrow. YAY!

Last edited by Test_Engineer; 03-18-2021 at 01:28 PM. Reason: clean up
Old 03-18-2021, 01:58 PM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post

I suspect you needed to back off the pretravel screw to get a reset.
It's a Ruger trigger, so no pre-travel adjustment. Maybe because this was a MKII grip? I do suspect re-set to have been the issue; with the barrel off, I had lots of extra over-travel.

I don't know what I did wrong, but I've since tried those same VQ parts in a MKIII grip and they were really very nice.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:40 AM
HIghstandardguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
So, has anyone actually received their bushings yet? My payment was sent 3/13/21 and so far no word (or package) from Clark.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:10 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine arrived quite a while ago. My invoice says I placed the order 3/16/21, and it seems it arrived 10-14 days later via Fed-X. Clark never contacted me with a tracking number though, so I had no idea it was coming until it arrived.