Seeking advice - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:05 PM
GTS225
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Seeking advice

I'm watching a "third party" private auction, that has a 144US listed. It appears to be in fair condition, with a few scratches in the wood, and the bluing in about the same condition.
Now for the hard part; It's missing the bolt assembly, rear sight, magazine, and the hand stop, and that's just the obvious.

I have a penchant for "basket" cases, if we wish to use the term here, as I hate the idea of scrapping or parting out what could be an otherwise decent weapon.
I'm still tempted by it, just knowing some of the history of these guns, but am hesitant to place a bid until I know I have a reasonable chance at finding the parts to make it whole again.

I've already searched GPC's available listing, and they don't have any of what's needed to get the rifle functional again.

What say the more learned aficionados of Mossberg 144's? Should I drop a bid, and if so, what is the max I should go?
Would I have a reasonable chance at finding the needed parts, without breaking the bank, so to speak?

Many thanks in advance.....Roger
Old 05-03-2021, 05:32 PM
Rosscoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
For me, the bolt would be the big thing in order for it to just shoot.
I haven't looked lately for bolts but they were way over $100 awhile back. Providing you can find one.

I could live without a hand stop and use something else for optics. I believe Havlins or Numrich has magazines ?

Just my 2 cents the way I would approach this rifle.

Bottom line, I don't think I'd give over $100-$125 for the rifle.

BTW, I believe bolts show up on Ebay from time to time. That said, make sure you get the right one!!!

Last edited by Rosscoe; 05-03-2021 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:42 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (136)
Ross is way more enthusiastic than me, I would call it scrap metal and avoid it.
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2021, 05:53 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
With it being a US Trainer, that makes it a little more valuable to a wide range of collector's. I would bump up Ross's value a little more. If I walked upon it tagged at $200, I would probably snatch it up. Would probably take another 2-300 to get the replacement parts if you shop wisely on ebay.

A complete shooter grade rifle will be in the $4-500 range, maybe $6 if in excellent condition.

The 144LSB is identical in every way except for the rear peep sight. The Trainer uses a Redfield 75 peep sight that pops up regularly on ebay, but finding the correct block to mount it will be the problem.

Same goes for the bolt, they pop up often. Any of the 144 bolts will work, but may have a different style handle. But the correct handle is still available.

Now the hand stop is another story, there are many looking for them and they go fast, but as Ross mentioned, it is not needed. I was save this one for last if you decide to pick it up.

They don't come up for sale too often anymore.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:00 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Here is one that just sold on GB, an early shooter grade rifle. only missing the hand stop/mounting hardware and the one detachable swivel.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/888829571
Old 05-03-2021, 06:03 PM
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I sure wish that was on this side of the border. I have most of those parts needed except the hand stop. I am still missing one for one of my 144s. The 144US is the one I am missing to complete my set which includes a pre-serial number and pos-serial number 144LSB. Having said that I think Ross may be close on pricing as it always ends up more. As bone said if it was in hand the price could jump.