Never new this round even existed - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:34 PM
sulfur-n-steel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Never new this round even existed

I found a decent stash of 5mm being sold, didn't know anything about this round or the rifles it used so I did some searching.

Interesting round and story as to why it didn't catch-on.

As I understand it, the ammo is fairly scarce, the stuff i found is Aguila and looked to be good quality ammo.

How scarce is this stuff when there isn't an ammo pandemic going on?

Is it worth considering getting into this round?
Old 03-29-2021, 11:19 PM
dufferDave

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
This cartridge came out a couple years ago. A few manufacturers offered rifles chambered in this load, but just as this whole thing was getting started the ammo seemed to disappear. IIRC, that was at the height of the 22LR shortage and all the production was diverted. That pretty well killed any other rifle sales (it certainly did for me).

If you like the looks of it, you should probably grab a good supply of the ammo while it is available.....but first you should make sure there are rifles still available.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:03 PM
Ledslnger

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Think Aguila makes runs of it occasionally. Pretty positive that is the case. Believe they stepped up last shortage to help people & just kept it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2021, 02:41 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (62)
You will most likely have to find a Remington 591(clip) or 592(tube feed) made in the early 1970's and lay in a supply of Centurion/Aguila ammo at about $30 a box. And then you will have a lightweight hunting rifle with just ok accuracy. Good for field carry and a little plinking. Excellent for hunting varmints smaller than coyotes. Or coyotes with a carefully placed shot. Ammo to expensive for much plinking. I have a 592 and use it mostly a couple times a year for jackrabbit hunting.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:33 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ditto what Hush said about accuracy being only ok for hunting as thats how mine is and most others who've posted over the years. Anything that shoots 2-3" @ 100 is a good/great rifle with a good batch of ammo.