Among MK IV, Victory and Buck Mark - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-11-2021, 06:47 PM
imdipped
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Among MK IV, Victory and Buck Mark

Among MK IV, Victory and Buck Mark, which in your opinion is the easiest to disassemble and reassemble beyond field stripping to do the mods or deep clean. I am posting this on the forum that may have the most viewers because I didnít want to clutter the other forums with multiple posts and because I suspect many of you have all three pistols.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:54 PM
Andrew22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have not played with a victory yet but my mark IV is much easier to take apart and work on than my buckmark in my opinion. Not to mention having much better parts support.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2021, 09:05 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
While I have been a long time fan of Ruger semi-auto pistols and have owned numerous MKI and MKII pistols and still own a couple, I have not yet owned a MKIII or MKIV. My experience with Rugers are that they are very robust and durable in design, but most generally require some trigger work to make them acceptable for target shooting. I have only owned one Browning Buckmark pistol and I had problems immediately with FTF issues. I did find that it was due to a loosening of the rear sight bridge screw. I had an opportunity to trade out of that pistol and I did. I bought my Smith and Wesson Victory almost 4 years ago and I find that it is the one that I take most frequently to the range. In it's short span of production, many aftermarket parts are available for the Victory. The Victory runs very clean, and takedown is very easy and simple with the removal of just one screw. The modifications that I have done, new grips, Halo, and Tandemkross trigger were more for my comfort and personalization than out of necessity. I wish that I had more to tell you, but that's about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2021, 12:12 AM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've tried all three but settled on the Ruger Mark IV for ease of takedown and the availability of parts. It's easy to do an accuracy job and mine is a tack driver.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:13 AM
BadaBing11
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have both a Ruger mkiv and a buckmark. The Mark Iv is easier to detail strip imo. It is as easy as it gets for basic field takedown and cleaning . I have never had the need to detail strip mine other than to install the volquartsen accurizing kit

I did the Buckmark once, to install the volquartsen hammer. Getting the sear spring back in was a two day learning curve . It wasnít nearly as easy as depicted on YouTube .
Old 05-12-2021, 08:24 AM
rep1954

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I guess I must be mistaken, I thought after the MKIV came out that they quit making the Victory and Buckmarks.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:13 AM
oldshot50

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
MK IV is a Ruger product. Victory is a S&W product. Buckmark is a Browning product. Confused. Not sure if your question was genuine or sarcasm? Regardless, all are good pistols in their own way. I never had a Buckmark, although I have shot a couple. Have a MK III and a S&W 22A (predecessor of the Victory) that are more than adequate for my ability and very reliable.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:20 PM
RWT22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All are good Buckmark does not have the aftermarket but it does not need it. Victory is a shooter and does not need much aftermarket. Mine was a little nose heavy and I never liked the grip. It was a shooter and great sights. Take down screw did break and had to have the screw removed from the barrel. Mark IV needs trigger help other than that it is good. Push button is too easy I would like to have the set screw like the Tandemkross Kracken.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:56 PM
imdipped

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oldshot, my question is genuine. Perhaps I should have posted on all three forums. All three are more than good and I chose them over the other fine pistols that have movable slides because I want to put a red dot on and I don’t want to add weight to the slide. I want as much reliable functioning as I can get. I wish they were the size of a Colt Woodsman Sport model though. My question has to do with the ease of going beyond field stripping. I will have to live with the polymer firing pin housings on the Victory and Buck Mark, I suspect they will outlive me.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:36 AM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
imdipped,
I've got all three pistols, actually I have three MK-IV's (a 7" SS Competition, 5.5" Blued steel Target, and a 22/45 Lite). Personally I feel the Buckmark (mine is the 7.25" SS Contour URX) is a much better (higher quality) more accurate pistol, than both the Victory and my MK-IV's. That said, the MK-IV's are faster to strip for cleaning. As far as stripping them for doing more detailed work, such as detailed cleanings, trigger jobs, and the like, they're all complicated to different degrees. I found that once I started tearing any certain one apart (to work on the triggers mostly), they became quicker and easier to work on, as familiarity made any future detailed work easier. With that said, the Buckmark may be a little trickier to disassemble (the trigger and related parts) the first time around, but it too becomes easier the more you work on it, which I feel is also true with many things. Personally, I don't think it's a big deal, as long as you're mechanically inclined, and work on it often enough to not forget the details of how it comes apart and goes back together.
I haven't had the Victory very far apart, only enough for normal cleanings. Although I have more S&W pistols than any other brand, I regret buying the Victory, even though mine hasn't given me any problems. I feel the handle is wrong in it's size, but especially in it's shape. Every time I handle the gun, I get this feeling S&W made it for no other reason than to make a buck. It just seems like a quickly designed plinking pistol, who's sole purpose is to take sales away from the other brands, nothing more. For all I know it could out last all of my other 22 pistols, but I'll still regret buying it due to a certain cheapness about it, not that it's poorly made.
If you're talking just detailed cleaning, the MK-IV is the fastest one in that regard. Both the Victory and Buckmark require the removal of at least one screw, which isn't difficult (although there are some reports of the Victory coming with an over torqued and/or stripped barrel mounting screw), but teardown does take a little longer. Once you know what tools you'll need, the extra time needed for teardown decreases a lot. I haven't had the Victory out in a while, so I've forgotten how it's laid out internally, but I don't see a problem with the polymer inside the Buckmark. The way Browning designed them, I think it actually makes removing the firing pin and related parts easier and faster.
Unlike the Victory, there are many variations of the MK-IV and Buckmark pistols. You should be able to find something you like if you examine the full product lines of each. You mentioned a Colt Woodsman Sport model, which I've never handled, so I can't suggest anything close in handling. I just know I've become hooked on heavier 22lr pistols, because the additional weight makes it more difficult to pull them off target (as a lightened trigger pull also does), unlike with lighter pistols. I don't carry mine around, or through the woods, or anything like that, so the weight doesn't bother me. I also mostly shoot my pistols with the butt sitting on a leather covered, thinly padded rest, which I feel helps the heavier ones to be even more accurate.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:23 AM
atrox88
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had all three but recently sold the Buck Mark. The Mark IV is the easiest followed by the Victory. The Buck Mark was a fine pistol but it takes a little more skill and patience, something I lack.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:34 PM
imdipped

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I thank you all for your input. I think I will have buy both a MK IV and a Victory.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:51 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdipped View Post
I thank you all for your input. I think I will have buy both a MK IV and a Victory.
Donít kid yourself! You need a Buckmark too! They are not the easiest to clean, but they are very nice to shoot
Old 05-14-2021, 03:07 PM
smith627

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Before you buy

If you have not handled or shot all three different brand pistols, I recommend it before you buy.
The way the grips fit in your hand, the overall weight, and barrel to frame balance are all a little different.
I have owned and/or handled all three and settled on the Buck Mark UFX/UDX style for ergonomics, balance, and total weight.
The Buck Marks (mine) have an alum alloy frame with stainless slide and barrel and the trigger IMO did not need to be modified.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buck Marks UDX - UFX (2).jpg (490.9 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by smith627; 05-14-2021 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-15-2021, 12:09 PM
imdipped

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you Smith, I intend to as soon as I can get my hands on them. That will be the final determinant.