1.75# Trigger on MK-1 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:52 AM
1srelluc

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
1.75# Trigger on MK-1

I bought a 1958 MK-1 yesterday mainly because of the trigger. I noticed that it was unusually light/crisp and sure enough it came in at a consistent 1.75#.

It was set-up for scope use and had a Weigand mount on it. I removed it and sourced the proper rear sight for it. It was also sporting home-made walnut stocks.

When I took it apart for cleaning I did not notice any aftermarket parts.

Were the MK-Is given any special attention as to their triggers? The trigger is more of what you would expect on a High-Standard of the same era.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w 005 (2).jpg (559.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-04-2021, 03:41 PM
2500X
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Mark 1 has a trigger pull of 1 lb 13 oz. It was worked on by Jim Clark. Chances are your pistol was worked on. Such a low pull weight on a factory Mark I would be quite rare indeed.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:24 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree. A factory trigger pull would be more in the 2.5-3.0 pound range.

It was obviously worked on by a smith at some point, as drill and tap for scope mounts didn't start until the introduction of the MKII slabsides. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the smith worked on the trigger at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2021, 09:33 PM
1srelluc

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
I agree. A factory trigger pull would be more in the 2.5-3.0 pound range.

It was obviously worked on by a smith at some point, as drill and tap for scope mounts didn't start until the introduction of the MKII slabsides. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the smith worked on the trigger at the same time.
It is not D&Ted. The mount has a block that fits in the slot for the rear sight and the mount attaches to the block.

Yeah, I figured as much as far as the trigger being worked on as Ruger has had the same sorry trigger-pull on every MK-whatever that I've owned.

The Smith must have used existing parts as I see nothing aftermarket in there.

LOL....The trigger-pull is why I bought it. That and I always sort of wanted a Mark- I for some reason.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:32 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some of those old Ruger pistols had a better than average trigger pull than the later ones, but I'm with others who have commented. I think this one has had an action job by a gunsmith at some time. Nice old Ruger!
Old 05-07-2021, 07:03 PM
243winxb
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Below 2 pounds, I have seen them double after cleaning. Oil or fluids on the hammer/sear engagement can do it.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:33 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As to doubling-it can happen but more often it is really a double tap/stutter on the trigger by the shooter.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:42 AM
Rimfiregal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had several MK Is that were all stock with similar trigger pulls. According to the parts list I have for some of those 60s vintage MK Is and Standards, you could send your Standard in to Ruger to have them install an MK I trigger pull. I do think that Ruger actually made an effort in those days to put a good trigger in the MK Is.