Short Range Match - Page 75 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:03 PM
bberg7794

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Another Tuesday evening at the range-one more to go.

bberg7794 (Brian, 54)
Rifle-Feinwerkbau 800W with diopter/globe, adjustable iris, filter + Eagle Eye
Pellets-H&N Finale Match Heavy, .177"(4.5mm), 0.53 gram
Details-50 feet, A-17 targets, offhand (with shooting coat), no sling
Location-With Massena (NY) Air Rifle group at our indoor range. Indoor season ends next Tuesday.

27 April score:

Target one: 72 (didn't keep the target)

4 May scores:

Target one: 10, 6, 10, 6, 9, 8, 7, 5, 7, 9: 77

Target two: 8, 8, 8, 7, 9, 9, 8, 9, 8, 10: 84
Old 05-11-2021, 08:37 PM
bberg7794

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
End of the indoor season until October

bberg7794 (Brian, 54)
Rifle-Feinwerkbau 800W with diopter/globe, adjustable iris, filter + Eagle Eye
Pellets-RWS R10, .177"(4.5mm), 0.53 gram
Details-50 feet, A-17 targets, offhand (with shooting coat), no sling
Location-With Massena (NY) Air Rifle group at our indoor range.

Target one: 7, 9, 9, 7, 9, 5, 8, 8, 9, 7: 80

Target two: 7, 8, 8, 8, 9, 7, 9, 8, 9, 8: 81

Target three: 10, 9, 9, 10, 9, 9, 7, 5, 9, 10: 87

Target four: 7, 9, 8, 10, 7, 9, 10, 10, 9, 9: 88

Between 2 prone, 2 sitting, 2 kneeling, and 4 standing targets, I put 126 pellets downrange this evening. My prone and standing scores were average for me, but my sitting and kneeling scores were below my average. Still, it was a very fun and affordable evening. Our indoor season this year was only four weeks long, but I am very happy that we were able to get together for that many. I'm already looking forward to next season.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:22 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
May 12, 2021 at Barefoot Bay, Florida

Florida, inside the house, 5/12/2021
Daisy 853, factory sights.
Daisy Precision Max 8.2 gr. pellets
7, 7, 8, 9, 8, 9, 8, 10, 8 & 10= 84

I will be driving North to Cape Cod early in June. I think I can get a bit more time with the airguns there as more coronavirus restrictions in Massachusetts than here in Florida. The guns are different as I have some here that stay here and some there that stay there. The best of my many Daisy 853 is here in Florida but I am shaky enough that it hardly matters. I shall endeavor to persevere.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:35 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
Florida, inside the house, 5/12/2021
Daisy 853, factory sights.
Daisy Precision Max 8.2 gr. pellets
7, 7, 8, 9, 8, 9, 8, 10, 8 & 10= 84

I will be driving North to Cape Cod early in June. I think I can get a bit more time with the airguns there as more coronavirus restrictions in Massachusetts than here in Florida. The guns are different as I have some here that stay here and some there that stay there. The best of my many Daisy 853 is here in Florida but I am shaky enough that it hardly matters. I shall endeavor to persevere.
Ok, Lone Watie!

Maybe we can talk Smitty into shooting airguns on Thursdays.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:51 PM
David Valdina

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
No can do tomorrow..

Hi John, I am not able to be at the range tomorrow. Wx does not look promising. Friday will have two S&W .22 revolvers to shoot.

Tonight
Scattered Storms Mostly cloudy with scattered thunderstorms. Lows around 70F. Southeast wind to 11 MPH, gusting to 16 MPH. Chance of precipitation 50 percent.

Thursday May 13
Scattered Showers Day: Mostly cloudy with scattered showers. Highs around 83F. Northwest wind 4 to 16 MPH, gusting to 22 MPH. Chance of precipitation 50 percent. New precipitation amounts up to one quarter inch possible.

Scattered Showers Night: Mostly cloudy with scattered showers. Lows around 69F. North northwest wind 9 to 17 MPH, gusting to 23 MPH. Chance of precipitation 50 percent. New precipitation amounts up to one quarter inch possible.

Friday May 14
Isolated Showers Day: Partly cloudy with isolated showers. Highs around 80F. North northwest wind 9 to 18 MPH, gusting to 25 MPH. Chance of precipitation 20 percent.

Partly Cloudy Night: Partly cloudy. Lows around 69F. North northeast wind 12 to 17 MPH, gusting to 23 MPH.
Old 05-21-2021, 06:05 PM
David Valdina

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
May 20, 2021 Air rifles @ Florida

May 20, 2021 at the Sebastian Range, Florida

So I meet my friends and we set up to shoot our air rifles. I have two Daisy 853 air rifles here in Florida. I had set up my targets on the cardboard the night before. My buddies are shooting off of the bench. I am shooting offhand. It's windy, my pellets are inexpensive but I seem to be doing pretty well. I have reported before my shoulder clicks when it wants, and wants to do so a lot. I can not control it, so my accuracy ain't what it used to be. I finish up and go home and later score the target. Hmmmm, I am not doing to badly. Until I realize I have used the wrong targets. The targets I used were for 25 yard and looking at the groups as if they had been shot on the correct 50 foot rimfire targets, about 40% of the shots would be outside of the scoring rings. And this is at 33 feet. I really should stick to shotguns at this point in my life. Somebody else please take over moderating this thread, summarizing scores etc. I need to be put out to pasture. David
Old 05-21-2021, 06:42 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
May 20, 2021 at the Sebastian Range, Florida

So I meet my friends and we set up to shoot our air rifles. I have two Daisy 853 air rifles here in Florida. I had set up my targets on the cardboard the night before. My buddies are shooting off of the bench. I am shooting offhand. It's windy, my pellets are inexpensive but I seem to be doing pretty well. I have reported before my shoulder clicks when it wants, and wants to do so a lot. I can not control it, so my accuracy ain't what it used to be. I finish up and go home and later score the target. Hmmmm, I am not doing to badly. Until I realize I have used the wrong targets. The targets I used were for 25 yard and looking at the groups as if they had been shot on the correct 50 foot rimfire targets, about 40% of the shots would be outside of the scoring rings. And this is at 33 feet. I really should stick to shotguns at this point in my life. Somebody else please take over moderating this thread, summarizing scores etc. I need to be put out to pasture. David
David,

Just shoot for your own enjoyment.

John
Old 05-21-2021, 07:02 PM
David Valdina

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Shooting for our own enjoyment ...

Hi John, I appreciate your good wishes. I have only shot for my own enjoyment, and there is more enjoyment in doing well than not. And when skills start falling apart, it can be discouraging. I suspect I will find other games to play. This getting old shows in us old people shooting .22 rifles off of a bench rather than offhand or three position shooting. As to airgun, I can see putting up reactive targets like spinners and snap shooting those. I have an airgun set of those, but they are up North. That range we shot at would allow for reactive targets hung by a string. Nothing that would cause a pellet to bounce back. Speaking of that, the number of spent pellets on the concrete at our benches tells me the pellets and BBs are bouncing off the wood frames and coming back. Smart to wear eyes when the line is hot. Regards, David

Edit: I also have a pellet trap but not with spinners, why not bring in next Thursday.

Last edited by David Valdina; 05-21-2021 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-21-2021, 07:27 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Hi John, I appreciate your good wishes. I have only shot for my own enjoyment, and there is more enjoyment in doing well than not. And when skills start falling apart, it can be discouraging. I suspect I will find other games to play. This getting old shows in us old people shooting .22 rifles off of a bench rather than offhand or three position shooting. As to airgun, I can see putting up reactive targets like spinners and snap shooting those. I have an airgun set of those, but they are up North. That range we shot at would allow for reactive targets hung by a string. Nothing that would cause a pellet to bounce back. Speaking of that, the number of spent pellets on the concrete at our benches tells me the pellets and BBs are bouncing off the wood frames and coming back. Smart to wear eyes when the line is hot. Regards, David
David,

I have a pellet trap. I believe it came with metal spinner targets. You are welcome to use it.

John
Old 05-26-2021, 04:22 PM
ford8nr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
David, sorry to hear of your loss of shooting skills. Continue to shoot for fun. I shot smallbore 3 pos with a gentleman who use to shoot a lot. Smallbore, across the course centerfire, shot Camp Perry, whose motto was "I use to be a competitor, now I'm just a shooter, but he came every week. Lost shooting with a gentleman who had shot the Pan Am games. Lost his edge and quit shooting, still a great shot just not competitive. I know the feeling, had cataract surgery on my right eye 2 years ago. Corrective lense is great for pistol. Found out I see double targets shooting irons at 100 yds, still figuring that one out.
Life changes, keep shooting...

Steve
Old 05-30-2021, 06:17 PM
David Valdina

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Good thread to look at here on RFC

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=586565

========Just some of the info. Using a Daisy 853.

15-yard benchrest
SWR SpectreII .22RF suppressor
Leupold M8 2x IER-type scope, parallax-adjusted to 15 yds.
The scope mount is a B-Square mount originally designed for the Baikal IZH-46, detailed in my 853 Scout Rifle thread here.
21 different pellet brands / styles were tested
Qty.2, 5-shot groups (shot subsequently after an initial pellet for air cylinder warmup / bore seasoning)
(Occasionally a third 5-shot group was done with the same style pellet but out of a different production lot to verify performance.)
Results: (average of two 5-shot groups)

Beeman 7.2gr - Hollow point: 0.27"
Beeman 7.7gr - Wadcutter: 0.25"
Crosman 7.4gr Competition - Wadcutter: 0.61" (A disappointing pellet for me, performing below average in my IZH-46M and Diana M27 as well)
Crosman 7.9gr Copperhead - Pointed: 0.18" (old-stock & discontinued)
Crosman 7.9gr Copperhead - Wadcutter: 0.46" (old-stock & discontinued)
Crosman 7.45gr Hunting - Pointed: 0.32"
Crosman 7.9gr Premier - Hollow point: 0.27"
Crosman 7.9gr Premier Light - Domed: 0.20"
Daisy Precision Max 7.8gr - Wadcutter: 0.31"
Gamo 7.56gr Hunter - Domed: 0.50"
Gamo 7.87gr Magnum - Pointed: 0.27"
Gamo 7.56gr Master Point - Pointed: 0.40"
Gamo 7.71gr Match - Wadcutter: 0.20"
RWS 7.0gr Diabolo Basic - Wadcutter: 0.26"
RWS 7.0gr Hobby - Wadcutter: 0.21"
RWS 7.0gr MK Pistol - Wadcutter: 0.39" (Another disappointing pellet in other testing)
RWS 8.2gr MK Rifle - Wadcutter: 0.33" (A bit of a surprise here, as these MK's have performed near the top in other testing I've done)
RWS 8.2gr R-10 Match - Wadcutter: (skipped due to MK's mediocre performance in this test)
RWS 7.7gr Superdome - Domed: 0.19" (old-stock)
RWS 7.8gr Super-H-Point - HP: 0.20" (old-stock, discontinued weight)
RWS 7.7gr Superpoint - Pointed: 0.26" (old-stock)
Vogel 8.1gr Merlin Match - Wadcutter: 0.18"
---------------

The budget victory goes to the Gamo Match Wadcutter (again), which is one of the top-performing pellets in my Diana Model 27 as well.

Ultimate victory for new-production pellets is a bit of a tie (along with the Gamo Match WC's cited above):
Crosman Premier Light (domed), 0.20" & 0.20" 5-shot groups
Gamo Match (wadcutter), 0.21" & 0.19" 5-shot groups
Vogel Merlin Match (wadcutter), 0.22" & 0.14" 5-shot groups
The Crosman Premier Lights were selected for final sighting-in (yielding 3-shot groups of 0.10", 0.16" 0.09", and 0.25") due to their round-nose shape retaining accuracy to 25 yds & beyond - where my prior testing has shown wadcutters to be inferior.