Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

What Direction does the animal face?

5K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  IHMSA80x80 
#1 ·
Is it only me that does not know this off the top... :eek:

This might be a stupid question and I should know this, but I don't pay attention, I just try to keep the rifle steady...

I am trying to determine if:

the Chickens and Turkeys face right and the Pigs and Rams face left

or do the chickens/rams face left and pigs/turkeys face right.

Is that right?

Mark

#2 ·
There is no "right."

The rules say that all animals of a given type must face the same direction. That is to say, for example, you can't have some chickens facing left and others facing right. That's the only rule regarding facing.

At my local club the chickens and rams face left while the pigs and turkeys face right. That's probably mainly because what we think of as the back side has the casting sprue and some lettering on it. What we think of as the front side is smooth and flat.

One place I shot had all the animals facing left, even though that had some with smooth fronts and some with lettering on the fronts.

#5 ·
Basically, yes.

The "facing the same way" is only required for that specific animal. Rams can face a different way than pigs as long as all pigs and all rams face the same direction.

That being said what I usually see at matches are chickens/rams facing left and pigs/turkeys facing right. I've seen it different ways though.

#4 · (Edited)
Before we went to auto-rest targets, which have only 5 silhouettes at each distance, our 10 free-standing targets were placed facing each other. The first 5 in a bank faced to the right, the second 5 in the bank faced to the left, like the half-scale turkeys below

The full-scale turkeys and rams are the auto-reset ones, the 6 mixed targets right in front of the rams are what's left of the 10 shootoff targets we set up.

As Sophia says, there is no right or wrong way to set up the targets, they just have to remain the same way during the entire match. And also, the same color.

#7 ·
Before we went to auto-rest targets, which have only 5 silhouettes at each distance, our 10 free-standing targets were placed facing each other. The first 5 in a bank faced to the right, the second 5 in the bank faced to the left, like the half-scale turkeys below
I've never had to shoot 10 wide, but with as many as I leave standing I bet that's handy to keep from getting lost......*shudders*

#15 · (Edited)
Hah!

My local matches shoot 15 wide. I sometimes have to swing back to the number stake and count over to make sure I'm on the right target. :eek: Still, I like them in a line like that. I once attended a state championship where the 15 targets were stacked in three tiers of five. Really threw me off on my stance. Even with that setup I saw guys shooting the wrong animal.... not the wrong one on their bank of targets but shooting on the wrong bank! :eek:
Staying on the correct target with a scope can sometimes be difficult. I've seen many shooters knock over the wrong target in the bank. The more targets in a row, the harder it can be. The international handgun championship range in Tennessee had 80 banks of targets (!), all of them in sets of 5 auto-reset targets. It was a chore just to make sure you were on the correct bank, especially with iron sights.

We used to put our 200 meter shootoffs on a stand that had two levels, as with the half-scale rams below.

Because of the staggered rails, we shot the bottom row first, so that a hit target on the top rail wouldn't fall forward onto one on the bottom rail. We always told the shooters, before they fired on the shootoffs, "Bottom Row First". Invariably, the Indiana shooters, despite being told, would shoot the top row first. That's the way they did it in Indiana.

One match, when we had the full 10 targets per bank, we alternated them in each bank, one facing left, one facing right, one facing left... That really annoyed the shooters, much to our amusement. They complained all day, but once the first entry was fired that way, they had to maintain the same setup all day. :D

#34 ·
Hah!

Staying on the correct target with a scope can sometimes be difficult. I've seen many shooters knock over the wrong target in the bank. The more targets in a row, the harder it can be. The international handgun championship range in Tennessee had 80 banks of targets (!), all of them in sets of 5 auto-reset targets. It was a chore just to make sure you were on the correct bank, especially with iron sights.

We used to put our 200 meter shootoffs on a stand that had two levels, as with the half-scale rams below.

Because of the staggered rails, we shot the bottom row first, so that a hit target on the top rail wouldn't fall forward onto one on the bottom rail. We always told the shooters, before they fired on the shootoffs, "Bottom Row First". Invariably, the Indiana shooters, despite being told, would shoot the top row first. That's the way they did it in Indiana.

One match, when we had the full 10 targets per bank, we alternated them in each bank, one facing left, one facing right, one facing left... That really annoyed the shooters, much to our amusement. They complained all day, but once the first entry was fired that way, they had to maintain the same setup all day. :D
I was reading Dean's post and noticed his missing photo.

I restored the exact photo he originally posted on 6-22-2016.

I plan to restore Dean's missing photos, as I read his posts.

Sadly, Dean passed away at 68 on Dec. 7, 2020 from Lymphoma cancer.

He'll be deeply and greatly missed, especially by me.

Marilyn [Dean's Loving Wife]

:F

#11 ·
I don't mind shooting wide... I normally do... :eek:

My daughter and I like shooting the stacked formation, bottom row first, then top row. In our monthly club match at Zia Rifle and Pistol club we choot'em wide. I heard at Ridgeway, PA they shoot the silhouettes wide. Can someone confirm this?

Mark

#12 ·
Our club has been under water since April, but I think our chickens and turkeys face right, pigs and rams face left, but I could be wrong on that. I just remember two animals face one way and the other two animals face the other way.

As far as arrangement goes, our club is stacked five over five with six banks wide per animal. The club on the south side of town is triple-stacked five wide by three banks per animal.

#24 ·
At our club, all the animals face the same direction. After completing the first 40 round Tournament, we switch the animals all in the opposite direction. Total tournament round for SB is 80 for Hunter and 80 rounds for Standard.

We have 5 animals on the bottom row and 5 of the same on the top row.
There are 3 banks like this at each animal or can have 3 shooters at a time at each bank to shoot the ten animals. After we shoot those ten chickens, then we shift to the bank of pigs..etc.

Each animal has its own individual stand. Each individual animal stand is of a steel rod with a flat piece of bar stock welded on top for the animal to rest. The steel rods[stands] are sunk in a 4 X 4 with the face of the 4 X 4 protected with 2 X 4 angle iron. The treated 4 X 4's are bolted to cement footings.

Our animals are all painted white with tall pine trees on both sides and back of our SB Silhouette range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.