Seeking Advise For Target Scope - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:26 PM
284wahoo
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Seeking Advise For Target Scope

Hello, I've been shooting for decades, mostly hunting and sighting in. A little casual target shooting off the bench with sporter arms. I just acquired a dedicated target rifle, and am not certain what scope type I want to mount. I mostly shoot on private property where the range distance isn't restricted, however I expect most of the target shooting to be 25-50yrds.

I have a budget of $500. for a scope. I'm fine with buying second hand good quality optics. I don't really know exactly what scope configuration to search for. I can't say what style of target shooting, other than off a bench rest.

What makes the most sense to get? Fixed, variable? What power (range)? If I go fixed, what are the general limitations for parallax adjustment? I know variable scopes are available with an AO to address that, but how about the fixed power scopes? Do folks generally manually adjust the objective in close when it's not an AO scope?

Would like to hear recommendations for scopes within my budget, and considerations when searching one out.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:57 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Modern Fixed magnification target scopes for 22 lr paper punching have AO, usually as a side focus. Thin cross hairs for a reticle. And a big objective lense, 50 mm or bigger. 24 x plus.

They a big and massive, and are made for a gun that will be shot from a good front rest and rear bag set up.

I have a 40 x Mueler, which while on the cheap side, is good enough for my purposes. https://muelleroptics.com/products/m...us-target-dot/

But mostly I use their 8 x32 variable scope https://muelleroptics.com/products/m...us-target-dot/
As it works fine for paper punching, but i can use it for other stuff too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E1A7B2F0-F0C4-424B-9425-CC74E233F019.jpg (503.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DCC59F3D-470B-4CFA-8E7B-4F10BD8AC417.jpg (505.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-02-2021, 09:27 PM
doclu60
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)
AO and side focus are two totally different things, despite the above post. They both do the same thing, focus the reticle at different distances, but do it in a different way with different mechanics. For ease of use, side focus is preferable, IME. For your price point you can do much better than Mueller. I have had two Mueller scopes including the one posted here, which was junk and sold. The other, I still have and was better. Mueller is a crap shoot, get a good one, or get a bad one, you'll never know until you have it. Athlon has some nice choices, and are head and tails above Mueller in your price point. A nice used Weaver would also be on my list in your price range, but remember, they are out of business if something goes wrong with it. There are also some nice Sightrons out there for sale used. BTW: you may get more responses on the scope forum just below this one.

Scott

Last edited by doclu60; 05-02-2021 at 10:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2021, 07:16 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doclu60 View Post
AO and side focus are two totally different things, despite the above post. They both do the same thing, focus the reticle at different distances, but do it in a different way with different mechanics. For ease of use, side focus is preferable, IME. For your price point you can do much better than Mueller. I have had two Mueller scopes including the one posted here, which was junk and sold. The other, I still have and was better. Mueller is a crap shoot, get a good one, or get a bad one, you'll never know until you have it. Athlon has some nice choices, and are head and tails above Mueller in your price point. A nice used Weaver would also be on my list in your price range, but remember, they are out of business if something goes wrong with it. There are also some nice Sightrons out there for sale used. BTW: you may get more responses on the scope forum just below this one.

Scott
I agree , dont buy a used scope, could be someone passing on a piece of junk.

I have a bunch of Muellers, never had a bad one. But if i did, id send it back , with the receipt, which i keep in the box, cause they are still in business, and have a lifetime warranty for the original buyer.

When I was a stereo salesman, when people came in and said , I have X$ to spend, I always sold them something good under X$ , and then told them to take the extra money to the record store.

Point being , why spend all your money on a “ better” scope and then use cheap rings, a cheap rest , a cheap bench and cheap ammo?
Old 05-03-2021, 08:19 AM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
MIMAS? A used Leupold scope may be in your budget. I have a few that I bought used, and only had to send two to be fixed. Their lifetime warranty is fantastic. Cost me postage. Some of the range members have Mueller scopes, and they are happy with them. I have some Weaver 36T scopes new, some days I can see the dot better than others. The Sightron 36X has great reviews, and is probably in your price range. Good luck and have fun!
Old 05-03-2021, 08:41 AM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doclu60 View Post

Scott
Er-uh-focusing the reticle is done with the focus ring surrounding the ocular (eyepiece) lens. You only have to do it once, and it does not change at different distances. AO, be it done at the objective lens or side turret, is used to adjust parallax.

In order to make a target scope recommendation, it's necessary to know what kind of target shooting it's for. The best scope for bench rest shooting at a fixed, known distance will to be very different from one chosen for tactical-style shooting at varying distances, for example.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:06 AM
doclu60
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd S. View Post
Er-uh-focusing the reticle is done with the focus ring surrounding the ocular (eyepiece) lens. You only have to do it once, and it does not change at different distances. AO, be it done at the objective lens or side turret, is used to adjust parallax.

In order to make a target scope recommendation, it's necessary to know what kind of target shooting it's for. The best scope for bench rest shooting at a fixed, known distance will to be very different from one chosen for tactical-style shooting at varying distances, for example.
You are correct about the reticle, I should have said focus the image in the scope when referring to AO and side focus. On your other point, since the OP posted on a benchrest sub-forum, it not really out of the realm to think that was what he was asking about.

Scott
Old 05-03-2021, 10:28 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ummm
"Mueller scopes.....one...which was junk and SOLD"
Really?
Old 05-03-2021, 08:13 AM
BirdieBirdie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sightron Sii, fixed 36, target dot. Will serve you well and in your budget.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:52 AM
Rod Blackburn
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBirdie View Post
I have two of these & have had excellent results with them.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:58 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBirdie View Post
+1

I use the same scope for 50yd bench and occasionally at 100yds.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:16 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo60 View Post
+1

I use the same scope for 50yd bench and occasionally at 100yds.
The OP says he will be shooting between 25 and 50 yds. A 36x fixed power scope may not be the best choice at 25 yds. Does it even focus that close?
Old 05-04-2021, 12:28 PM
skywag
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To be sure................it should say "Made in Oregon"
Old 05-04-2021, 12:29 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think they will focus down to 10yd if i remember right.

I could be wrong though.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:41 AM
JGR_LV
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yet another "how long is a piece of rope?" question

I've done a bit of rimfire silhouette and been confronted by the fact that, at 70, my eyesight just won't hold up through a match shooting iron sights out at 100 meters. First, for this type of shooting, a giant objective doesn't really mean much. The primary reason for a big objective is light-gathering, and low-light benchrest rimfire matches are pretty rare, in my experience. The more expensive scopes generally have more uniform adjustments with less backlash, and they generally have a wider range of eye relief, particularly at high power. Most cheap high-power scopes require very precise eye placement, which can be very annoying. On the other hand, shooting with one will tell you right away whether you're getting a consistent cheek weld. Fine crosshairs are better for target work, and many of us like some variation of the old Lee Dot. That saves the problem of trying to decide whether your crosshairs divide the bull into equal quadrants. If you're not going to mortgage the farm, or if you just don't like to rely on your scope adjustments (I don't) then a reticle with hold-over dots is a good investment.