Anyone Ever Take A PD With A .458? (Just Half Kidding) - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-27-2021, 02:52 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Anyone Ever Take A PD With A .458? (Just Half Kidding)

Long story, as are most of my misadventures, but in discussing the idiosyncrasies of the various Ruger No. 1 rimfire conversions with a fellow RFC member, I had occasion to take my Moyers-converted 1A Light Rifle out of the safe and fondle it for a while. Doing so caused me to realize it just wasn't for me, so I ended up selling it here on the TP.

But, while the .22 LR conversion never really spoke to me, the styling of the Ruger No. 1 Light Rifle really does, and so there was a considerable hole left in my heart when the Ruger went down the road. But, this time, I decided, it had to be a .22 Hornet in that gorgeous configuration. I drooled over the Lipsey limited-edition .22 Hornet with the red pad, color cased receiver/lever, and tasteful jeweling here and there, but the NOS one I was eyeing ended up bringing $2200 (). Not worth it, in my view, and, though the red pad and jeweling were nice, I thought I would probably prefer the polished blue receiver over the uninspiring faux cased-colors Ruger applied to that rifle. Too, the wood-to-metal fit on most recent No. 1s is just demoralizing, and there is the ever-present crap shoot on Ruger barrel quality. This is not so with some of the earlier models, so a search ensued.

I was shocked at the prices No. 1s are bringing these days, and the 1As, or any No. 1 with the red pad, seem to bring a considerable premium, usually bringing a least $1500, even in mundane chamberings…“maybe I don’t want a Ruger .22 Hornet,” I says to myself.

I continued searching, though, and found a 70’s era red-pad Tropical Rifle with great wood-to-metal fit, higher polished finish, very attractive wood, with all the sexiness of the 1As…but chambered for, you guessed it, .458 Winchester. The longer and heavier barrel also adds about two pounds over the 1A. Still, the bidding seemed slow and was hovering around the $900 mark, even an hour before the auction was scheduled to end. I added $25 to the highest bid, and, heck if I didn’t win that rifle for well under $1000.

The Dilemma:
Rebarreling with a quality Shilen would add another $200 or so to the rifle ($300 for a Lilja), making it a $1200 No. 1 in .22 Hornet (about right in my mind), figuring in a taller quarter rib, banded front sight ramp, and Hornet extractor, all of which are readily available, but the barrel channel in the requisite and matching Alexander Henry fore stock would be way too wide. Not ideal, but not insurmountable, either. Then, I spied some .500” diameter .224” centerfire barrel liners at Track of the Wolf, and the wheels started turning again. Installing and chambering the liner would be pretty simple, but then I would have a 9 lbs rifle. I doubt anyone would decry the loss of a .458 Winchester barrel, but could I live with that weight? I was even thinking of lining the barrel 2” short of the muzzle and leaving the wicked .458 maw in place. No rebluing needed, just shallowly machining the .458 Win Mag away and re-engraving.

I already have several very light, carry-around .22 Hornets, a wispy 218 Bee, a very elegant .17 AH, along with a similarly powered wildcat in a Sako L-46, so, maybe I’m not so against a 9 lbs .22 Hornet for shooting from a rest. Even with a scope, the rifle would weigh about what a loaded M1 rifle would weigh. And Landis always preached that a 9.5 to 10 lbs rifle is just about right for the woodchuck fields (I’m not sure I agree, but it helps with the rationalization process, right?)

So, I dunno. It will be a week or so before the behemoth arrives, and part of me wants to shoot it. I’ve made a couple of .460s, even a .500 Weatherby, several .378s, and I owned a .458 Lott briefly, but never a .458.

So, what think ye?

TBR
Old 04-27-2021, 03:33 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Make a few light cast bullet loads and try it out. I had a #3 in 45-70 a long time ago and made up some light loads along with the heavy ones. Huge difference in recoil and a lot of fun. 250-350 grains cast @ 800-1000 fps. The old 45-70 load was a 405 grain @ 1200 fps.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:54 PM
chuck40219
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Anyone Ever Take A PD With A .458?

I think you might be a little under gunned.

Chuck40219
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2021, 04:02 PM
Dean2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have actually shot quite a few gophers, small version of a P Dog, with my left hand 460 Weatherby just for practice. Off of sticks out to 300 yards it is fun shooting and great practice. If you do much volume shooting get some 405 25 Brinell cast grain bullets used in the 45-70 and some 4895 or Trail Boss. Trail Boss works great for 150 yard or so loads, 4895 if you want to reach out farther. Makes great rounds that are much cheaper to load then full bore jacketed stuff. The trail boss loads have very little recoil so you can do a lot of shooting and not beat yourself up. Give it a try, you will love it.

Last edited by Dean2; 04-27-2021 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:55 PM
comfisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
I've done whistle pigs with a 375 ruger. Actually several years running. Got a steal on 1k 300 sgk, 40 rounds a day prone swear it made me walk funny. Do a lot of offhand practice on them with in now.

My main squirrel rifle is a 7mm rum on its third barrel.

I've shot them with a 4570, 500 Smith, 375, 300 rum, 7mm rum, 338 lapua, 358 sta, even lobbed a few 750 amaxs at them with a friends 50.....

Getting harder to find big enough alfalfa to hunt with the big guns, but it's fun to do.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:17 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Had a friend who shot a few PD's with a .458 WM, but it was hard to tell if he hit them or not because there wasn't much left of the PD or the mound he was standing on when the dust cleared...
Had a buddy save my life one day bear hunting when he shot a rattlesnake I couldn't hear just a few feet in front of me with his .375 H&H... dirt, grass, and rattlesnake parts rained down for quite a bit after that one...

Not sure a 10 lb Hornet sounds all that interesting, but if you are concerned about the barrel channel fit to put a more appropriate barrel on it, perhaps you could try to find a piece of wood that would match the butt and make up just a fore end piece to match. Then you could have a switch barrel from extreme ends of the spectrum....

Bob
Old 05-02-2021, 04:43 PM
Dean2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
This last post is really %%%% funny. Gave me a great laugh. The idea of a brake on a 22 Hornet is just hilarious. Thanks for the chuckles.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:42 PM
vaguru

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I never have shot a PD with the 458 Win, but I had a shooting buddy that used his 458 Win to shoot woodchucks. Had no other real use for it, but he owned one!
Old 05-03-2021, 01:18 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
And so it begins from the smallest of things :
Extractor 2.jpg
Old 05-04-2021, 07:06 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Or an alternative:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 458Fun.jpg (126.9 KB, 49 views)
Old 05-13-2021, 02:14 PM
PigButtons
US Air Force Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
And so it begins from the smallest of things :
Attachment 254967

Progress is progress. Big things all have small beginnings.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:13 PM
PigButtons

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
This last post is really %%%% funny. Gave me a great laugh. The idea of a brake on a 22 Hornet is just hilarious. Thanks for the chuckles.
Glad to make you chuckle. I like seeing my hits through the scope if possible and the 16" Contender had just enough muzzle flip to make that hard. Plus the tuner / brake combo was just too fun to pass up. They do reek of overkill, but it's mine and I like it, so if you get a laugh, that's good too.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:19 PM
Dean2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude. I really thought you were kidding. The line about the recoil pulse being noticeably sharper and the cumulative impact of firing a couple of hundred 22 H rounds sounded like you were making a joke. The only gun I own that has a brake on it is my 460 Bee. All good, whatever floats a guys boat.

Last edited by Dean2; 05-13-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:25 PM
PigButtons

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
No offense taken. But they make compensators for 22lr pistols. Basically the same thing, not necessary but some like them.

I'm sure that TBR won't need one on his Ruger #1H Tropical in 22 Hornet. Plus it just wouldn't look right on such a classic.