Best Dedicated 22Lr AR-15 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-17-2021, 02:29 AM
Quick1
US Air Force Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Best Dedicated 22Lr AR-15

I have sold my M&P 15-22 and want to upgrade to the best dedicated 22Lr AR-15 I can buy.

My research as brought me to the CMMG Resolute 300 Mk4 .22 LR.

Do not want to build, looking to buy complete rifle. Anything else to consider?
Old 03-17-2021, 04:37 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Why did you sell the M&P?

I was thinking I might pick one up as a plinker.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:21 AM
Quick1

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
Why did you sell the M&P?

I was thinking I might pick one up as a plinker.
Loved it, it was a great rifle to start with, but want to upgrade to a higher quality gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2021, 05:52 AM
zukiphile
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick1 View Post
Anything else to consider?
Yes. JPE, Nordic and Rock River, none of which I own. Tippmans are fascinating if you don't need to use a real AR lower. I don't have one of those either.

CMMG is the pattern with the best aftermarket support. After you have the rifle itself and you've chosen a replacement trigger and an optic, you'll only want:

1. a visit to Bore Buddy for extra firing pins and a weight,
2. a visit to ARCatch22 for a last round bolt hold open solution and
3. some 15-22 magazines.

Then you'll only want for ammunition and targets.

Last edited by zukiphile; 03-17-2021 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:29 AM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Although not what I'd call "perfection" (mine arrived with a bent recoil spring guide rod, due to poor packaging) I still highly recommend the Rock River Arms LAR-22 A4 National Match Rifle. Accuracy is very good with the right ammo (SK Rifle Match was the best I had and used in mine) thanks to it's 20" stainless steel HBAR (heavy barrel). The upper and lower are both forged aluminum (no plastic as some are), and over all it's a well built, high quality rifle, just like their CF models.
It's not really a review, but I wrote a lot of things about my experiences in this thread:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1192821
On the last page, post #95, you can see some targets shot with the SK RM ammo. Yes they're "cherry picked", but that's due to the crazy unpredictable, ever-changing high winds here in the high desert where I live and shoot.
Link to rifle at RRA:
https://www.rockriverarms.com/index....tegory_ID=1992
Last comments (for now), your mileage may vary, but with both rifles I bought from them (the 2nd rifle is a highly accurate LAR-15 A4 Varmint in .223 Wylde), delivery times were very slow, with the LAR-22 being ultra slow. I got the feeling they build each one as they are ordered? Spare parts could be an issue with limited listings at the RRA web site, not that I've needed anything, other than wishing I had a new guide rod (but the original once straightened, has been working fine).

Last edited by LoneWolfSS454; 03-17-2021 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:14 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfSS454 View Post
Although not what I'd call "perfection" (mine arrived with a bent recoil spring guide rod, due to poor packaging) I still highly recommend the Rock River Arms LAR-22 A4 National Match Rifle. Accuracy is very good with the right ammo (SK Rifle Match was the best I had and used in mine) thanks to it's 20" stainless steel HBAR (heavy barrel). The upper and lower are both forged aluminum (no plastic as some are), and over all it's a well built, high quality rifle, just like their CF models.
It's not really a review, but I wrote a lot of things about my experiences in this thread:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1192821
On the last page, post #95, you can see some targets shot with the SK RM ammo. Yes they're "cherry picked", but that's due to the crazy unpredictable, ever-changing high winds here in the high desert where I live and shoot.
Link to rifle at RRA:
https://www.rockriverarms.com/index....tegory_ID=1992
Last comments (for now), your mileage may vary, but with both rifles I bought from them (the 2nd rifle is a highly accurate LAR-15 A4 Varmint in .223 Wylde), delivery times were very slow, with the LAR-22 being ultra slow. I got the feeling they build each one as they are ordered? Spare parts could be an issue with limited listings at the RRA web site, not that I've needed anything, other than wishing I had a new guide rod (but the original once straightened, has been working fine).
That looks interesting. I'm getting close to retirement and am a member of a club that does CMP on it's 200-600 yard range. I shot CMP 20+ years ago with my Garand. I built a service rifle (white oak upper on a rock river lower) but my work schedule got in the way. I went over to the RRA site and came up with this.

22LR NM A4 Upper Half
Item#: 22L0798 $685.00

RRA Match Carry Handle Assembly
Item#: AR0052CNMASYX
Options: NM 1/2x1/2, .040 Hooded Aperture
$165.00

RRA NM Detachable Front Sight
Item#: AR0160NM
$43.00

.22LR 10 Round Magazine
Item#: 22L0116
$23.00
$23.00

Subtotal:
$916.00

Definitely not cheap, I want to be able to shoot irons, and use a scope that isn't up on a carry handle.

Some one needs to talk me down, show me a better deal, or tell me get after it.

If you like your Constitution, you can keep your Constitution.

Last edited by Szumi; 03-18-2021 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:32 PM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szumi View Post
Definitely not cheap, I want to be able to shoot irons, and use a scope that isn't up on a carry handle.
The rifle below was my dedicated iron sight rifle built with a CMMG barrel and BCG. It's dedicated in the sense that the front and rear sight don't fold down; you'd need a hex wrench to remove them. I made a couple with a folding YHM folding front sight, but I never feel that a folding sight is going to be as robust as a fixed sight.

The nice thing about the flat top upper is that I can be in position, insert a loaded magazine, leave my support hand in place, and reach up with my right hand to operate the bolt release by squeezing the upper receiver.

Last edited by zukiphile; 03-18-2021 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-18-2021, 06:49 PM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
That looks interesting. I'm getting close to retirement and am a member of a club that does CMP on it's 200-600 yard range. I shot CMP 20+ years ago with my Garand. I built a service rifle (white oak upper on a rock river lower) but my work schedule got in the way. I went over to the RRA site and came up with this.

22LR NM A4 Upper Half

$165.00

$43.00

.22LR 10 Round Magazine
$23.00
$23.00

Subtotal:
$916.00

Only my opinion, but that sounds like crazy money to me anyway..

I only have around 700.00 in my A2 shown above..That includes the Binary Trigger setup. Mine is all USGI FN parts except the barrel, BCG and the A2 Clone lower..Take the Franklin Binary out of the equation, and I have around 450.00 in building it..Took a while to do it that low and had to scrounge parts..Not going to do it by just wipping out the credit card and buying it all at once though.

Did not take me that long to scrounge all the used USGI FN A2 parts though..Maybe a few weeks watching the EE on the AR15 forum and a couple others for parts.

Do not know if PSA has the Clone M16A2 and A4 lowers in stock for 49.00 right now..But they did when I bought my lower.

Point is stuff can be done reasonable and the end result very satisfying, with some patience and parts searching..

My used USGI FN A2 upper receiver shown on my A2 above. Does have a pinned NM sight..Came that way for the 80.00 I paid for it.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:44 PM
lonestardiver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbineone View Post
Only my opinion, but that sounds like crazy money to me anyway..

I only have around 700.00 in my A2 shown above..That includes the Binary Trigger setup. Mine is all USGI FN parts except the barrel, BCG and the A2 Clone lower..Take the Franklin Binary out of the equation, and I have around 450.00 in building it..Took a while to do it that low and had to scrounge parts..Not going to do it by just wipping out the credit card and buying it all at once though.

Did not take me that long to scrounge all the used USGI FN A2 parts though..Maybe a few weeks watching the EE on the AR15 forum and a couple others for parts.

Do not know if PSA has the Clone M16A2 and A4 lowers in stock for 49.00 right now..But they did when I bought my lower.

Point is stuff can be done reasonable and the end result very satisfying, with some patience and parts searching..

My used USGI FN A2 upper receiver shown on my A2 above. Does have a pinned NM sight..Came that way for the 80.00 I paid for it.

Are you using the CMMG bolt, collar, and barrel?
I may need to investigate the Franklin binary trigger as I have an SBR’d lower that is used with a dedicated .22lr upper, .223, and 300BO uppers.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:27 PM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Szumi, Are you sure you don't want to be talked into it? There's a lot of people around here that are great at spending the money of others. But, on a serious note, the RRA NM A4 LAR-22 is a very nice and accurate firearm. In the case of my "cherry picked" groups, you have to keep in mind I'm still pretty "green" at accuracy rifle shooting (I'd focused mostly on pistols, or plinking, in prior decades). I only got my bench finished around last September or October, and haven't spent much time with any one rifle so far, wanting instead to see which of several different models were the most accurate (in my hands). I was surprised how well the RRA AR-22 did compared to my bolt actions. If this RRA AR-22 mysteriously vanished, I'd get another just like it in a heartbeat.
I too bought the carry handle and sights, so I can try for accuracy with a good scope, or plink with the little Bug Buster just for fun. Both scopes are attached using UTG 1-piece quick-release mounts, a UTG carry handle rail that only requires one knurled nut, so changing configurations is quick and easy. My irons are just the standard models, as my eyesight isn't good enough anymore to justify the better ones.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg NM A4 LAR_22 _012.jpg (122.5 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg NM A4 LAR_22 _011.jpg (106.3 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg NM A4 LAR_22 _010.jpg (65.5 KB, 175 views)
Old 03-18-2021, 07:31 PM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yes, the RRA LAR-22 National Match rifle cost more than many around here built from pieces. But, can they shoot little 50-yard groups like mine can, keeping in mind how green at bench shooting I am, along with my use of a $98 Stinger rest which the experts don't use?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg NM A4 LAR_22 6_9_2020 _023.jpg (147.5 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg NM A4 LAR_22 6_9_2020 _024.jpg (123.0 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by LoneWolfSS454; 03-18-2021 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:27 AM
Erik72

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:

22LR NM A4 Upper Half

$165.00

$43.00

.22LR 10 Round Magazine
$23.00
$23.00

Subtotal:
$916.00

DO IT!

I don't understand this idea of questioning what someone is willing to spend on a "rimfire". Especially in this time when guys are dropping $3,500 + on Vudoos and RimXs and even more on some bench rest rifles. I went the cheap route on my first AR22....and the 2nd. Now I've got like 7 of them so how much money did I save by going cheap?
Old 03-19-2021, 09:08 AM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I am sure no one cares what he spends his money on..He asked the question of us, I gave him my answer.Nevert got down on him at all about it...No right or wrong response to his question..His decision in the end... ..If you want to have fun shooting tight groups on Paper..The AR22 would not be my first choice by far..To me AR22s are fun plinkers..Nothing more.

I do not care if he wants to spend 5000.00 on an AR22.Heck I will even sell him one for 5000.00 if ithe price would make someone feel it is 4500.00 better than the next guys 450.00 AR22.I just know to me, that would be a bad investment to do so..Others may disagree..

I also like making my ARs like I want em..Not how someone else thinks they should be configured..Best to build it yourself as it suits your needs . Not how someone else perceives your needs.

Last edited by carbineone; 03-19-2021 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:19 AM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik72 View Post
DO IT!

I don't understand this idea of questioning what someone is willing to spend on a "rimfire". Especially in this time when guys are dropping $3,500 + on Vudoos and RimXs and even more on some bench rest rifles. I went the cheap route on my first AR22....and the 2nd. Now I've got like 7 of them so how much money did I save by going cheap?
I think the words you were looking for are:

"My name is Erik72, and I am an AR22 addict."

Hi, Erik! /chorus.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:27 AM
Quick1

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
Yes. JPE, Nordic and Rock River, none of which I own. Tippmans are fascinating if you don't need to use a real AR lower. I don't have one of those either.

CMMG is the pattern with the best aftermarket support. After you have the rifle itself and you've chosen a replacement trigger and an optic, you'll only want:

1. a visit to Bore Buddy for extra firing pins and a weight,
2. a visit to ARCatch22 for a last round bolt hold open solution and
3. some 15-22 magazines.

Then you'll only want for ammunition and targets.
Thanks for the recommendations, will check those out. Won't need a new trigger, already comes with a Geissele SSA 2-STAGE and plan to use a Aimpoint PRO. Tracking on the mags and ARCatch22, but will check out the Bore Buddy. Thanks!