Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-28-2021, 12:38 PM
Jeff518

TPC Rating: 
100% (32)
any full loop levers on Martinis?

Hello All,
I have a MK II short-barreled action that I'd like to make into a slimmed-down sporter/hunter.

I'm aiming toward a more field-friendly lever and pistol-grip shape. I could bend my lever so it's more swept-back (like a 12/15), but I thought of maybe making a full-loop lever by adding an arc to the top/back of the MK II lever.

Anyone seen or built a full-loop lever for a MK-X BSA/Martini??
Old 01-28-2021, 05:10 PM
rapidfire10ring
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Chuck Conners of "The Rifleman" series had a full-loop model and so did John Wayne.....but neither rifle was a Martini.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:25 PM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I think you are on the right track if you want to do something like that; adding metal to the back of the stock lever could indeed allow a more swept back grip shape. The other area that may cause kind of an odd look is the comb,it will be almost straight (no comb nose) now whether or not the little thumb rest area of the action gives it back its graceful lines remains to be seen. I am doing some of what you are talking about with mine in the post right before yours. My lever will remain un altered, "s" shaped grip cap area, 51/4" curved steel buttplate, and will be trying to get the comb to be at least 3/4" below the bore line. The forend will also be much smaller at 103/4", and no lower than the bottom of the action. Plans are to use it with legal sights for bpcr silhouette, both scoped, and tangent sights.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2021, 09:56 AM
DoubleD
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In my years of building customs guns the lever is the hardest thing to modify and get right. They always seem to be hanging down dangling after thoughts and are unappealing to the eye. Add a rounded edge piece of 2" x 4" as forestock and you have the classic example of an ugly gun.

Frank deHaas showed an H.L. Grisel open loop lever on a Martini his book Mr. Single Shot's Gunsmithing idea book. I though that was cool and it was the first lever mod I ever did. It was also the worst I ever did. I was building field guns for walking around shooting varmints. The little lever sticking out there hooked on every thing, clothing, brush fences-kept popping open. I once talked with Chick Donnelley about this and he was a bit reserved at me criticizing Pete Grisel. Next time I talked to Chick he said he had spoke to Grisel, he had mentioned my comments, and Grisel agreed with me. Humm.

I did a full loop lever one time at a customers request. When the customer came to pick the gun up he wouldn't take it. It look odd and was awkward to operate.
It cost him extra for a different lever. For a loop lever to work on a Martini it almost has to be fit to the shooters hand.

Schuetzen style lever have lots of swirls and hooks, but they are practical for the sport. Combined with ornate stocks they look good.

The fancy Peabody's that had a pistol grip has a short loop around the end of the pistol grip and I think the end of the lever snapped into a catch. I can not remember the last time I held one of those, so can not be be sure.

The 1215 style is very pleasing and the grip angle is very good. That wide tip at the end of the lever provides a wide point for leverage. That wide flat is needed on field guns as the the finger will get sore from opening a small tiny lever end.

The best cure I used for a long time for addressing the lever issue was a round ball. This worked quite well. I would save the cut off bolt handles from Mauser when I welded new handles on. I would cut the ball off and tap it, then screw the ball on.

The picture above is, top a modified Cadet with a ball end. The ball is a bit to big, but works.

Below it is an a period Isaac Hollis sporting Martini with pistol grip and barrel tip lever end.

Sporting Martini's with this type lever tend to be open gripped like this Naughton and Holloway sporter. They have that awkward angle open grip feel that is the bane of the Martini. The 1215 angle is more closed and feels more natural.

I recently acquired a Rawbone sporting Martini that has a horn lever insert.

This insert changes the hand angle to a more natural angle. It feels good. It doesn't look very good, but build a stock to this angle and bend the lever accordingly , this would be a nice lookinf gun

Notice the barrels on these lever ends. They are wider the the lever slight ly, They are barrel shaped-wider in the middle than the ends. If you examine them closely they appear to be lever ends rolled in a barrel. The front face of the lever extend around the outside as if the end was rolled upon the inside of the lever.

Looking back on the one loop lever I did and using what learned from my past experience, if I did a loop lever today, here is what I would do.

First I would make the pistol grip closed-tight and countersunk like the 1215. not open like the sporters. More like the angle made with the lever insert. I would fit the lever loop to the hand. It would be longer inside than the hand, but not a big Hollywood loop. A smaller loop. The front of the loop should not bind the hand in any way. Aesthetically if possible the loop should not be taller than the trigger guard, and only minimally if it must.

If I still had the hands and tools, I think this would be a fun challenge to try to do right
Old 01-30-2021, 08:33 AM
DoubleD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I knew there was a sloop lever that I was trying to think yesterday while typing.

Google Ballard Loop Lever and the click in images below the search window.
Old 01-30-2021, 01:58 PM
Jeff518

TPC Rating: 
100% (32)
Well Thank You Gentlemen for Your considered replies, based in considerable experience! Sounds like DoubleD's guidance would have me find the loop shape that fits my hand and where it lands relative to the trigger first, then fill in the grip shape behind it. Maybe I'll end up with a 2x4 stock (template) after all!

This CPA 44-1/2 action is what got me thinking, but I can't imagine that's a very comfortable lever to operate, and I couldn't afford the research materials..

(can't seem to attach that CPA picture)
Old 01-30-2021, 02:03 PM
Jeff518

TPC Rating: 
100% (32)
strugl4x'sc, Where did you find that butt plate, it's great!!
Old 01-30-2021, 05:43 PM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff518 View Post
I made it, it is kind of crude, but I think it will look okay if I am able to keep the lines of the stock elegant.

Old 01-30-2021, 06:20 PM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff518 View Post
Just bought a skeleton buttplate from a nice man on eBay too,it is really nicely made and he says he has more, that would be a great touch for a custom single shot .22

Old 01-30-2021, 06:49 PM
psteiger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
the vickers
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg vickers.jpeg (101.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-30-2021, 10:24 PM
Kurt701

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Martini with bent lever

This is not mine. Here is one treatment.

Old 02-01-2021, 10:53 AM
DoubleD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kurt,

Nice looking international-looks like it is set up for offhand work.

Like the Cover even more.

S/F

Douglas