Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

I've Been Yacking About Weatherby XXII Bolts

6K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Chickenhater 
#1 · (Edited)
I know I've been bugging some folks with posts about the Weatherby Mark XXII Bolt Action .17 and .22 rimfire for a couple of weeks. In fact, if not for some of the discussions here, I wouldn't have known these rifles existed for a time. Most of you know this, but these rifles were cooperatively built by Weatherby (stock and marketing) and rifle/action (64) by Anschutz.

About 10 days ago I acquired the .17 HMR which was my 2nd choice. Then just a couple days later a .22LR that I had been watching dropped a $100 in price and was offered at a By Now. Both rifles now reside in squirrel country, Kentucky.

I had been contemplating getting an Anschutz 1712 spotter in .22 but then read here (again) that for my primarily sighting in, plinking, and squirrel hunting, the 64 action might be better for me. Save a few hundred bucks and have a bit lighter rifle? I'm thinking (???) these Weatherby/Anschutz rifles will scratch that itch.

I ordered a spare .22LR magazine by Wisner (again info from RFC). I haven't ordered a spare .17 yet because the options aren't as widely available.

The .17HMR is at the top of the picture below. It is much more of a gloss finish than the .22LR below it. The .17 has a few minor dings in the stock. I traded with someone on this site for that one.

The .22 has a bit more of a satin gloss finish which I like even more. I also like the darker wood. I can't find even a hint of blemish on the .22 anywhere. Except for no box or papers, one can't tell this one from new. The seller didn't think it had even been fired.

I have a Nikon Pro 3-9x40 AO scope on the .17hmr. The rings are Low Talley.

I put a FFP March 2-8 on the .22lr. Those rings are 30mm Warner with weaver-style attachment on a two-piece adaptor (not the spring operated adaptors, which I do use on another set-up). I removed that March from a Steyr air rifle. I would have bought a Weaver Grand Slam, the 2-8x36, if it had AO. Found a pretty good price on it.

Now, it is time to get this outside the house work finished so I can do some shooting! I have very high hopes for these two rifles.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Fantastic rifles! That's a pair that beats a full house!

I always wanted one in 17HMR (my favorite RF). I recently sold one in 22RF. Amazing accuracy and the fit and finish is superb. A bargain if you paid under $800 each.

#12 ·
I just scoped the .22lr yesterday. A Burris Timberline 4.5-14 x32 AO.

Today I shot the rifle from 50 yards. Very cold today (25F). The scope isn't zeroed at all. I just wanted to shoot groups. I do know, the L/R current is adjusted pretty far to the L based upon an earlier set-up, which I didn't like. When I adjust these both UD and LR will be a closer to zero factory settings.

5-shot groups on Caldwall bags.

1. Ely Rabbit Box (I was holding zero on "X")
2. CCI SS HP (I held zero on top of vertical)
3. SK Standard (I held zero on Left end of horizontal)
4. Stinger (held on bottom of vertical

Sorry, I didn't measure them yet (brrr.) But, I found out what I wanted. My WAXXII Bolt shoots at least two brands of .22lr to satisfy my sporting needs; SK and Stinger.

Maybe, under better conditions the Ely and CCI would also shoot good, 3-shot groups are pretty nice if one cherry picks. But, I won't cherry pick, the rifle is beautiful (interesting as that famous write coined)if it shoots accurately.

I have not even put a round in the charger of the .17HMR yet.

Attachments

#14 ·
These are known for needing to be broken in so if they are low round count you may find they tighten up after 500 rounds or so. One other thing to keep in mind: They are match chambers if I recall correctly. That being said you won't want to shoot CCI velocitor or Stinger in these.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.