Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-29-2021, 06:35 PM
gr8guns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Hammerli Xesse advice ?

I need to pick the brain of Xesse Hammerli owners. My son bought a Hammerli
Xesse from Larry’s Guns in 2014, and other than a couple of magazine loads the pistol is pristine. He decided I should have this pistol, with upgraded grips, trigger, and a few other parts. I see after gleaning the net for info, some of these little gems get cracked trigger guards. L.D. Bennett’s name came up in the search as someone with knowledge about preventing this from occurring. L.D. , I need info if you read this ! Thanks ! Any one else having info about preventing this, please chime in !
Old 05-01-2021, 08:35 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
gr8guns:

These are really good target guns. But some suffer a trigger guard breakage problem. It turns out that using excessively powerful ammo forces the gun to absorb the excess energy.

Blowback operated guns are a balancing act. If all is balanced (energy from firing verses slide inertia, recoil spring force, slide friction, energy to cock the hammer) then the slide travels and gently kisses the stop in the gun. For this gun that stop is part of the trigger guard. If the energy is excessive then the slide pounds on the stop in the frame. In some cases for this gun it causes the trigger guard to break. If the gun operates reliably on Standard Velocity ammo then NEVER use High or Hyper Velocity ammo in it.

The breakage problem is also because of a manufacturing flaw in the trigger guard. The guard pivots counter-clockwise around a pin in the frame for disassembly. It has a short vertical arm and a long horizontal arm. The design was suppose to be that the trigger guard rotates clockwise on re-assembly until the vertical arm hard touches the gunís frame directly behind the short trigger guard arm. But in some of these guns the trigger guard stops short leaving the vertical arm unsupported. Then the recoiling slide pounds on it in recoil until the vertical short leg breaks off. At one point in time Trailside trigger guard replacements were un-obtainable from this problem. Supposedly Hammerli fixed this problem in the Xesses but I just reviewed a You Tube video from 6 years ago where a Xesses suffered this breakage problem.

It turns out that the top of the long arm of the trigger guard on these errant guns hits the bottom of the frame before the trigger guard rotates enough to get the short arm of the trigger guard positioned hard against the frame behind it. The fix is to remove material from the top of the trigger guard long arm so that the trigger guard can rotate far enough to allow the short arm to firmly seat against the frame behind it. Once supported the short arm is not subjected to the un-supported pounding of the slide in recoil, but it just transfers the recoil hit to the frame directly.

The Trailside and Xesse are ECON version of the famous Hammerli 208. The trigger guard on the Hammerli was a machined part and not a casting like on the Trailside and Xesse. The top of the Trailside and Xesse trigger guard is a non-machined surface with a peaking required draft angle to allow removal during casting. The casting peak is keeping the trigger guard from fully rotating.

The fix is to file the top of the long arm of the trigger guard's top surface until the short arm seats hard against the frame behind it. It may take a few file passes or many. Every gun is a bit different. Once completed the fix is hidden from view but a bit of paint or magic marker will hide the flattening of the top of the long arm of the trigger guard.

If nothing else inspect the trigger guard to be sure the trigger guard rotates far enough to firmly support the short arm against the frame behind it.

I found the gun a bit light and added a red dot to allow more accurate sighting and to add a bit of weight to steady it during firing. Unfortunately mine is the short barreled target version which was all that was available at the time of initial release years ago. But it does fine none the less.

Good luck with your new-to-you gun. Hope this helps. Contact me directly if you need further help.

LDBennett
[email protected]
Old 05-04-2021, 01:30 PM
JB in SC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One Trailside owned by a friend developed a crack in the area of the slide stop (on the slide). The material was very thin in that area, Iím not sure if it was a rare or more common issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2021, 08:09 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Since this gun was supposed to be a ECNO version of the 208, I suspect both these blowback operated TARGET guns were intended for Standard Velocity ammo and not High or Hyper Velocity ammo. When people break a frame slide stop on any gun it tells me that they probably used the wrong ammo. If the slide inertia and the recoil spring along with the energy required to cock the hammer balances against the energy of the fired cartridge then the slide should gently kiss the frame slide stop, not pound on it. There should be no pounding of the frame in recoil and the thickness of the metal is not very important. Obviously we don't want less than common gun metal alloys to be used. But using the right ammo for these target guns can be important for longevity and accuracy.

In today's world Standard Velocity ammo is not common or cheap. Some shooters of these and other fine target guns expect that they can shoot anything. To save the gun you should be using the minimum power ammo in target guns that reliably operates the gun and nothing more powerful.

Anyway that is my opinion and yours may vary.

LDBennett
Old 05-05-2021, 08:18 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
And the very common thing was the trigger guard having its short vertical leg break off because that trigger guard was not properly fitted during manufacture. I have not heard of anyone cracking a slide since the gun's introduction as the Trailside almost 20 years ago (??). But my source is only this web page. This page was flooded with post about the broken trigger guards in the early days of the Trailside. I was surprised to see the YouTube video where a Xesse (six years ago) had its trigger guard break off its vertical leg....I thought Hammerlli fixed that with the introduction of the Xesse???

LDBennett