MK 2 magazine-is it really an issue? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 10-12-2019, 10:02 AM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2006
Location: 
southeastern NM
Posts: 
2,556
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)


Log in to see fewer ads
I have an early MK II FV that is a very accurate rifle and the magazine worked fine. The problem was with the retaining mechanism which is basically a flat spring . Since I only shoot it off the bench or at steel gongs I turned it into a single shot. No more magazine falling out because I didn't insert it just so-so.

I bought an FV-SR last year and Savage has addressed the magazine problem by adding a metal case around it but still uses the flat metal spring retainer. It works well. Like I have read on this forum some mags when fully loaded won't attach with a closed bolt and mine won't either. There is a trick to fix this but I just leave my bolt open when inserting a mag. Just push it in until it clicks and it's there until you remove it.

The bolt on my rifle has a sloppy fit in the receiver and the accu-trigger wouldn't adjust to less than slightly over three pounds. I haven't been able to achieve the accuracy of the older FV either.

In the OP's shoes I would opt to upgrade the 10/22. A Green Mountain barrel, decent stock, and trigger upgrade will cost more than A FV-SR in the cheesy plastic stock but it will result in a much better rifle. I have built two like this and either one will shoot circles around my FV-SR and I have done a bunch of work on it too, mostly to no avail.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-12-2019, 04:36 PM
centershot243

Join Date: 
Oct 2012
Posts: 
12
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mk II mags

I picked up my brand new MkII FV about a month ago, have had absolutely ZERO problems with it of any kind. I was very surprised to read here that some people were having problems with their mags. I have about a brick of ammo thru it at this point and still works great! YMMV!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-13-2019, 12:02 AM
MajorD
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2018
Location: 
Dewey Arizona
Posts: 
80
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a less than year old mark 2 I bought for nrl22 matches back before they changed the base class msrp rules. The rifle is great the magazines not so much. I babied the magazines- never left them loaded they were carried in a padded pouch while at matches. While the 5 round mag has been fine the 10 round magazines ( pretty much mandatory for nrl22) both split the seams at the back within a few months of use ( about 4 matches and 8 practice sessions. )
Savage did replace them at no charge but they are a weak point. They need to design a magazine significantly more robust
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-13-2019, 12:56 AM
BayouMedic

Join Date: 
Oct 2019
Posts: 
14
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post

In the OP's shoes I would opt to upgrade the 10/22. A Green Mountain barrel, decent stock, and trigger upgrade will cost more than A FV-SR in the cheesy plastic stock but it will result in a much better rifle. I have built two like this and either one will shoot circles around my FV-SR and I have done a bunch of work on it too, mostly to no avail.
Which GM barrel? You don’t find their bull barrel too heavy? I’m wanting this for a hunting rifle. What do you mean by decent stock? I’d like to stay with a synthetic stock if I can
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-13-2019, 01:29 AM
Toomany22s's Avatar
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Sep 2017
Posts: 
3,925
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok now we’re getting somewhere. You want a hunting rifle.! You want a synthetic stock, and you want it to be light. The Savage mags are fine, they wear out but they are cheap so who cares. Savage plastic stocks are flimsy. Their wood stocks are fine. The laminate ones are better but heavier. So Savage is out! Ruger has some ok plastic stocks, the ones with the swappable cheek risers. But again the wood stocks are better and the laminates heavier. And they need a trigger and a barrel upgrade. At this point the cz 455 American in a Synthetic stock, which is a good stock, imho, is the obvious choice. All it needs is a spring for the trigger. Shop around you can find a good deal on one , I did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6881358A-F5E7-4B99-A9DD-2201BABF2607.jpg (505.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 12732F3E-2564-473B-89C8-0D89ACEA56CD.jpg (479.6 KB, 4 views)
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-13-2019, 07:34 PM
BayouMedic

Join Date: 
Oct 2019
Posts: 
14
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Ok now we’re getting somewhere. You want a hunting rifle.! You want a synthetic stock, and you want it to be light. The Savage mags are fine, they wear out but they are cheap so who cares. Savage plastic stocks are flimsy. Their wood stocks are fine. The laminate ones are better but heavier. So Savage is out! Ruger has some ok plastic stocks, the ones with the swappable cheek risers. But again the wood stocks are better and the laminates heavier. And they need a trigger and a barrel upgrade. At this point the cz 455 American in a Synthetic stock, which is a good stock, imho, is the obvious choice. All it needs is a spring for the trigger. Shop around you can find a good deal on one , I did.
I also need something with a threaded barrel.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-13-2019, 08:05 PM
Toomany22s's Avatar
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Sep 2017
Posts: 
3,925
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Am I leading you by the hand or dragging you? Classic Fire Arms 435
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2EE81D51-0DA1-45EE-85D0-619B1E70E08F.jpeg (5.5 KB, 81 views)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-14-2019, 11:14 AM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2006
Location: 
southeastern NM
Posts: 
2,556
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouMedic View Post
Which GM barrel? You donít find their bull barrel too heavy? Iím wanting this for a hunting rifle. What do you mean by decent stock? Iíd like to stay with a synthetic stock if I can
Both of mine have the .920 20" GM barrel. I use neither for hunting but they would be rather heavy to carry around for any length of time. GM does make a sporter contour barrel I believe. Can't say for sure though. I have no experience with the 10/22 in a synthetic stock. I was referring to the wooden stocked model which is more of a youth sized stock IMO. It's been so long since I paid any attention to what's available in a 10/22 I forgot they even offered one in synthetic. By decent stock I meant one that fits like I want and to get that I made both of mine.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-15-2019, 10:37 AM
BayouMedic

Join Date: 
Oct 2019
Posts: 
14
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Am I leading you by the hand or dragging you? Classic Fire Arms 435
Neither, you're simply replying to messages on a forum. Messages you chose to reply, no one forced your hand. I'm not sure what a "classic fire arms 435" is, but I did look at the CZ guns. I just couldn't find one I liked with a threaded barrel in my price range. I found the "trainer" with a threaded barrel, but I didn't care for how it looked. The "tacticool" model is probably what I would end up going with if I went the bolt gun route, they aren't cheap. I'm just trying to find the most economical way to have an accurate squirrel gun that also has a threaded barrel.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-15-2019, 10:39 AM
BayouMedic

Join Date: 
Oct 2019
Posts: 
14
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
Both of mine have the .920 20" GM barrel. I use neither for hunting but they would be rather heavy to carry around for any length of time. GM does make a sporter contour barrel I believe. Can't say for sure though. I have no experience with the 10/22 in a synthetic stock. I was referring to the wooden stocked model which is more of a youth sized stock IMO. It's been so long since I paid any attention to what's available in a 10/22 I forgot they even offered one in synthetic. By decent stock I meant one that fits like I want and to get that I made both of mine.
I like the GM barrels. If they made a tapered barrel that was also threaded I'd buy one.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-16-2019, 02:43 PM
cpittman35

Join Date: 
Oct 2017
Posts: 
55
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have 2 MK II rifles with 5 ten rounders and 2 five rounders. I've never had a problem with any of them. All perform without issue.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-16-2019, 11:27 PM
BayouMedic

Join Date: 
Oct 2019
Posts: 
14
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpittman35 View Post
I have 2 MK II rifles with 5 ten rounders and 2 five rounders. I've never had a problem with any of them. All perform without issue.
Thank you. I don’t shoot often and it would honestly probably be fine. Just paranoid.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-16-2019, 11:36 PM
Toomany22s's Avatar
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Sep 2017
Posts: 
3,925
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
$435 is the price on a synthetic stock threaded 455 varmint sold by Classic Firearms . An online vendor. Sorry I miffed you off. Iím trying to help you.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-19-2019, 01:14 PM
BayouMedic

Join Date: 
Oct 2019
Posts: 
14
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
$435 is the price on a synthetic stock threaded 455 varmint sold by Classic Firearms . An online vendor. Sorry I miffed you off. I’m trying to help you.
Oooohhhhhhhhhhhhh okay. I found the 455 Tacticool on there for 430ish. Thank you! Never even heard of that website.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-19-2019, 10:42 PM
IanC's Avatar
IanC

Join Date: 
Dec 2005
Location: 
Ontario
Posts: 
103
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First I have heard. I can honestly say I have never had a problem with the magazine in any of the savage Mrk II rifles I have.

I enjoy the 10/22 and have several but a stock Mrk II will out shoot any custom build with some tinkering. Personally I prefer the sporter barrel.

Last edited by IanC; 10-19-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x