Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:05 PM
smartypants2
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to smartypants2
Model 89 mods to be a great tgt gun

What modifications are necessary to make the Model 89 into a first rate target gun?

Specifically, I understand it has the inherent accuracy, but the trigger is too heavy, and there's no way to mount a red dot sight (necessary for me). How hard are they to do? What else needs to be done?

I don't own one yet, so it might be good to know beforehand.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:13 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
smartypants2:

I don't own an 89 but I would think if its a red dot you need to use why not get the current 87T? It has a rail on it, it's readily available, has an acceptable trigger, and is very accurate.

The 87T accepts a simple trigger job that makes the let-off crsip rather than long and smooth as it is out of the box. What the 87T lacks is a trigger over travel stop. It takes some real work to adapt the 89 trigger with the stop to an 87T but with the tirgger job and the trigger overtravel stop mine has a delicious trigger. In stock form the trigger is not bad but just different....long smooth pull that goes off unexpectedly, which is not necessarily bad.

The other problem with the 87T is that it is a light gun but adding the red dot will fix that.

Of course a good gunsmith could drill and tap the top of the 89 to accept a rail for a red dot. Since the 89 has a trigger stop I think it might stand a chance of a better trigger out of the box (???).

LDBennett
Old 12-21-2007, 08:16 AM
smartypants2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
89 and 87

Hi LDBennett,

I have an 87T and my main objection to its trigger is that it's 4lbs instead of 2.5lbs. If I could reduce the trigger pull to the 2.5 lbs, I could live with its other limitations. Any suggestions? Is it something I can do myself? Has anyone written about it?

As far as the 89 is concerned, I just wanted one (I guess you know how that is). The 89, as I understand it, has a 4lb trigger and would have to come down to 2.5lbs also. I am hesitant to drill into a gun because it lowers the resale value.

Yes, the 87T is very accurate, and I really like the gun a lot. Nothing limits the gun as much as the 4lb trigger pull and if I can fix that, I would try it in a match.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2007, 04:37 PM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The 87T uses hair spring style springs that are unusually shaped. No one makes low power replacements that I am aware of. The pistol design is complicated by the sharing of parts to do multiple functions and for minimal cost of manufacture. It is not a simple gun internally. The trigger part of the fire control system is an absolute bear to reassemble (I did it in installing the modified 89 trigger in my 87T and it took hours to find the method that worked for re-assembly of the trigger group which I documented on this site).

I did a trigger job by reducing the engagement of the sear and the hammer. I reduced it by using the modified Colt method as documented in the American Gunsmithing Institutes "Trigger Jobs" video. All the creep is gone but the pull level is still 4 lbs due the springs, mostly. I just verified it not minutes ago and was surprised because the break point is so nice I didn't believe it was still 4 lbs of pull level. Once you fix the hammer/sear engagement you are left with horendous over travel. The 87T is not a competiton target gun out of the box regardless that it cost as if it were. Mine's great but I had to put time and money in it to get it there. I could have gotten better results from buying a S&W Model 41! ( I already have one actually). Maybe the 89 is better ???? I don't know but if the trigger is no better than the 87T you would be wasting your money, in my mind at least.

LDBennett
Old 12-21-2007, 04:53 PM
smartypants2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the info

Hi LDBennett,

Well you've convinced me. I'm not going to mess with the 87T trigger, and will accept the gun as is. I'll skip the 89 too. Just too much trouble. Why doesn't Beretta give us a better trigger, a bullseye trigger, an adjustable trigger?

Maybe there's a gunsmith around who does 87T trigger work?

I can easily adjust the trigger pull on my 1911 (with the marvel conversion). I found it to be a tad less accurate than the 87T, but it's good enough. There's another reason for the popularity of the 1911...ease of trigger adjustment.

Again, thanks for the response and info.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:09 PM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Few manufacturers make real competition guns for much under $1000! S&W is the exception (got to find a deal to get one under $1000).

Most competitors modifiy much less expensive guns and get satisfactory results. Ruger Governement Models MK II 678G, high end Buckmarks work fine. The Marvel Precision Conversion Unit ONE is remarkably accurate and if that is the model you have and it doesn't shoot as good or better than your 87T something is wrong! If its the Unit TWO you have then I am not surprised it won't shoot with the 87T as it is meant for tactical practice like the Kimber and the Ceiner. Every Unit ONE is tested by Marvel before shipment at 50 yds and typical groups are packaged with the unit. They are signifiacantly better than anything I could shoot with my 87T! and they are not the best groups but typical groups. If your Unit ONE is not shooting well then find the ammo it likes and/or call Marvel for help. They are really nice people! My Unit ONE shoots better than my Model41!

LDBennett
Old 12-22-2007, 03:11 PM
CCV

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Alex Hamilton at 10-Ring Precision in San Antonio does a nice job with the 87T trigger, and installs an overtravel stop.

I'm pleased with the work he did on mine.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:34 PM
smartypants2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the info

CCV,
Thanks for the info. I'll give him a call. What grip do you use for target shooting?
Old 12-23-2007, 12:28 PM
CCV

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just have the standard plastic Beretta grip on mine.

[IMG][/IMG]