Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:51 AM
smartypants2
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to smartypants2
MkII with Clark Trigger-how to adjust?

I just purchased a MkII Target pistol (5-1/2" tapered barrel). It has a Clark trigger installed by the previous owner. The trigger is crisp enough, but the pull weight is 3lbs 12oz, or almost 4 lbs.

I want to bring it to 2.5lbs. How to do this??

Can anyone provide some info as to how to do it, or where to get some instructions on this?
Old 03-25-2008, 08:59 AM
recumbent
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
You need to replace the sear with a VQ sear. This will drop your trigger pull to about 2-2.5 lbs. All you need is the sear.

Now for the bad news, everyone is out of stock on them right now until VQ makes some more.

A really good website to check out on the ruger MKII, MKIII pistols is http://www.guntalk-online.com/

be sure to click on the service tab and also the forum tab.

Bullseye runs a great sight, very informative.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:12 AM
bscman

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Send a message via MSN to bscman
FWIW, I honed the sear on my brand new MKIII yesterday and was able to drop it to 2lbs 10oz with very minimal work.

I'm confident I could go lower, but chose to leave it as-is because this will be carried as a sidearm for small game during hunting season.

It nothing else, just polish the face of the sear and see where that gets you. Very simple to do. Worst case scenario it doesn't help much, but at least you tried (and it took less than half an hour MAX).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2008, 10:35 AM
smartypants2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thanks for the info

So far, two responses, both very helpful!

Thanks Recumbent. I did an online search for the VC2TS, which I found to be the P/N of the VQ sear. I will try to get one. And thanks for the reference to that other site.

Thanks bscman. I'll try it. And I can do it right now, which is satisfying.

I have never taken out the sear from a Mk2. Is there any instruction available on how to take out the sear?
Old 03-25-2008, 11:15 AM
recumbent
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartypants2 View Post
So far, two responses, both very helpful!

Thanks Recumbent. I did an online search for the VC2TS, which I found to be the P/N of the VQ sear. I will try to get one. And thanks for the reference to that other site.

Thanks bscman. I'll try it. And I can do it right now, which is satisfying.

I have never taken out the sear from a Mk2. Is there any instruction available on how to take out the sear?
On the web site I just gave you.
Everything you ever want to know about your pistol is on that web site.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:33 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I did my MKII

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=213752

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 03-26-2008, 11:40 AM
smartypants2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
update

I ordered the VQ sear from a store in California, which apparently had some in stock. (I'll believe it when I get it).

I tried polishing the factory sear. At first try, the trigger got down to about 3 lbs (from about 3lbs, 12oz) which seemed promising. Took it out and did it some more resulting in a slight increase to 3lbs, 5oz or so. So I musta done something wrong.

Used a diamond stone that I use for sharpening knives, followed by a buffing wheel on the grinder. Is this right?

Also, I had no idea how to disassemble the Mk2 to get the sear out. Found some great instructions at http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/internals.htm
This guy really did a great job showing how to disassemble and assemble the Mk2. He provided photos, and text which is neither too long or too short. Enough to understand what to do, and not so much that you can't read it.

Am waiting for the new sear and will put it in the gun as soon as I get it. Also ordered a Weigand -no gunsmithing- rail that is supposed to fit in the dovetail for the rear sight.

Maybe it was the angle of the sear that prevented real improvement of the trigger pull. I didn't take off a lot of material, just smoothed it out. Maybe the new sear is ground at a slightly different angle. I have no good way to do that kind of machining. Comments?

Thanks again to all.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:30 PM
JJFUNK

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Smartypants,

The VQ sear has many differences to an OEM sear. The disconnector engagement area is slightly different, the sear face has different diminsions, and the angle of engagement is different. I took some good photo's of the differences for another member here to see, and the general agreement was that it would just be easier to get the VQ one and call it even.

Here's a copy of the post from many moons ago:

Info for the masses. Broke down one of the MK's and got these pics for you guys. Best of luck, and I will try at least one as well, as I have 5 of the factory ones.

A word of caution, I tried to re-work a factory one, and failed miserably. It was nice and crisp, very light. Felt great. Also, when the bolt slammed shut, the trigger would go off. Can you say FA!!!???? Not something I would encourage. I would definately say just get the VQ unit.

FWIW

JJ
Old 03-26-2008, 12:43 PM
smartypants2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks!

JJFunk
Thanks for the great pictures and info. I did order the VQ sear, and while I'm waiting for it to arrive, it was suggested (see above) that it might be possible to modify the factory sear to give at least some improved performance.

I couldn't get significant improvement out of it, and will have to wait for the VQ one.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:00 PM
pilpens

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Also, tried reworking a factory sear but could not get the exact feel I have on my VQ sear pistol. I got it to be clean and crisp but it was heavy and the trigger broke later than my VQ sear pistol. I trimmed the hammer so that it would get an earlier break and reduced creep but fater a while that set up would shoot full auto. I now have a new (trimmed but not as much as before) factory hammer.

as sson as the VQ sears are available again, I will replace my reowrked sear.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Adam67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I ordered a VQ sear from Cheap Gun Parts .com about 10 days ago. Got the sear in about 4days. Installed it on my Ruger Mark III and my trigger pull went from 3.5lbs to just a hair over 2lbs. This definitely improved my indoor 50ft scores......A LOT!
Old 03-28-2008, 03:39 PM
smartypants2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got my VQ sear

I ordered the VQ sear from Niceshot (Google them, they're in CA) and received it today (Friday). Shortly thereafter it was installed. The Verdict: Wow! What a difference. I modified the old factory sear by polishing it, resulting in the trigger becoming UNusable! I ruined the factory sear!! It doesn't look much different than it did, but I'll bet it was a 15 pound trigger pull. ARRGGHH

Ah, but with the VQ sear, it's sunshine and sweetness. Average measured trigger pull is 2lbs 2oz. VQ also provided a new sear spring. All I can say is that its an essential investment. The gun is crap without it, and great with it. I can't imagine why Ruger doesn't supply their target pistols with this sear. It must be their legal dept or something like that.