Self Defense with .22’s. Pro’s & Con’s - Page 11 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:39 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Gel is a test medium. People are not built that way. The bullet has to get through clothing and probably ribs. 22lr bullets do not follow a straight path. They tend to bounce around and follow the path of least resistance. They have been known to take a scenic tour. Catch the edge of a rib or something in a pocket and it will change direction. There is not enough mass to keep it in a straight line. There is also not enough energy to be effective. Reducing the bullet weight to 32 grains will compound the problem. Fragmenting will further reduce penetration. Even in a frontal shot the bullet needs to travel about 8" in a straight line. A 40 grain solid has a better chance of accomplishing that.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:53 PM
groundhogsniper
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would think that Velocitors would be about the best choice if you had to use a .22 for self defense.
Fastest 40 gr. that I know of and hp.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:55 PM
laylow

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
An interesting video on 22 hollow point expansion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpQEKhpuMco

When I carry a 22, and I do fairly often, it's got Remington Yellow Jackets loaded.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:32 PM
deltaT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
https://www.graywolfsurvival.com/186...efense-weapon/

The article cites home defense but all is pertinent to the op-one shot to the noggin is all that would be necessary and head shots should be possible by anyone.

https://www.odmp.org/officer/420-tro...-hunter-coates
Old 06-03-2019, 04:24 PM
Oldmountain2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Delta T.....
Excellent article. Many Thanks
Old 06-04-2019, 01:19 AM
Mossbergman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Hollow log along the Susquehanna River, Dauphin County Pa.
TPC Rating: 
88% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robow7 View Post
One thing for sure, I wish I could shoot my 9's as accurately as I can my Browning Buckmark UDX 22lr, though that Buckmark is hardly CC material.
thats usually becase the 22 cheaper and you shoot it more often ~~JMJ~~
Old 06-04-2019, 10:22 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fresh kettle corn and cokes in a glass bottle..Hmmmm?
Old 06-05-2019, 11:51 AM
Eagle0199
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've carried a Hi Standard 22 Mag over/under derringer since the 70's, usually with 22 mag snakeshot in the first barrel to fire, then a 22 mag hollowpoint in the second barrel for follow-on if necessary.

Thoughts on my choice: There's no safety just a heavy trigger pull so no safety to remember to take off. The accepted way to hold the pistol is with the index finger along the barrel and pull the trigger with the middle and ring fingers - it's as easy to aim as pointing your finger. As a double barrel derringer it is always loaded, no slide to rack and no moving cylinder, just pull the trigger. Snakeshot in my pistol throws a pattern of about 1 inch per foot, 3 inches at 3 ft, 10 inches at 10 ft which is about the max effective range for the round. Also seems to be easier to hit something (the opponent's head for example) with the initial shot. Small enough to be easy to pocket carry, and even thinner with the grips removed - the frame is solid under the grips, only a screw hole showing, otherwise flat.

I always figured that the first shot in a panic situation ought to catch their attention, then a second, more serious, shot if necessary. Like the OP said, my purpose is not to acquire or detain, mostly rather a discourage or defend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0191.jpg (494.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0193.jpg (510.1 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Eagle0199; 06-05-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:52 PM
Oldmountain2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I, too, had a High Standard in .22 in my youth. (That was a loooong time ago).
It meets all my criteria for good self defense except number of shots.
I might load both barrels with magnums. To shoot someone with a non-lethal round has legal problems. (Lawyers &#x1f644
A survey of defense encounters found that nobody had a need for more than the 5 shots in a small revolver.

6675127E-A982-40A1-ADCA-8E565724BFF9_1559767869975.jpg

https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...r-self-defense
Old 06-05-2019, 10:45 PM
accooper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I was a little kid, I was shot with a .22 short at about fifty yards. The bullet entered my shoulder at the very lower end of my shoulder blade. From what my older sister remembers it kinda skidded up and ended at the top of my shoulder blade. About 6 to 7 inches. I was 10 at the time. 55 years ago.

This all happened because our neighbor was an idiot. He and his idiot brother had bought a .22 rifle for his son/nephew. They had gotten drunk and decided to play with it before Christmas. They had loaded it and it went off. (They both later died in a car accident due to them being drunk. Unfortunately they took three innocent people with them.)

My baby sister was in the back yard with me and it missed her head by inches.

My dad jumped over the fence and smashed the rifle. And was going to pulverize them but my Uncle Art stopped him.

From what I remember taking the bullet out hurt worse than getting shot. But who ever said that .22 rim fire goes the path of lest resistance is right unless it hits absolutely square it will skid off in who knows what direction.

accooper
Old 06-05-2019, 11:40 PM
karls42

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A 22 beats a knife... but not by much. No knockdown or shock effect - like stabbing somebody with a screwdriver
Old 06-06-2019, 04:55 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well JAson Bourne can take you down with a rolled up magazine. An dthe Mossad uses half charged 22s to assassination terrorists.

While I know I could defend myself with a 22 pistol, Id rather have a 357 magnum. But for concealments sake it is more often a 9 mm.

Right now that summers come Im finding it emotionally difficult to down size to a single stack of 7 after a winter of carrying 13 .

But I always have my 1022 TD, in the trunk, so I guess I do carry a 22
Old 06-06-2019, 06:57 AM
flylo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
97% (149)
I bought some argo shorts at Sportmans Guide on sale & planned on using the cargo pocket for the folding Glock 19 but the main front pockets are the deepest 1've had. I've carried it all week & can't even tell it, beats any holster I've ever had for comfort & concealment. 25 rds of 9mm Gold Dot 147gr should be plenty. I have cargo pant's coming today I hope are just like the shorts.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:35 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylo View Post
I bought some argo shorts at Sportmans Guide on sale & planned on using the cargo pocket for the folding Glock 19 but the main front pockets are the deepest 1've had. I've carried it all week & can't even tell it, beats any holster I've ever had for comfort & concealment. 25 rds of 9mm Gold Dot 147gr should be plenty. I have cargo pant's coming today I hope are just like the shorts.
25 rds??? Yer gonna need 2 pair of suspenders to hold your pants up!!
All I wear are cargo pants including my 'dress slacks'. Trouble is my receding hips and a belt that feels like a tourniquet to hold the pants up.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:56 AM
Oldmountain2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mr. ACCooper. Thank you.
I am sad to say that most all of us (especially us older folk) have memories of tragedy from misuse of guns. OK, misuse of guns, alcohol, cars, back seat of cars, and unkind words.
My father, as a young fella, didn’t want to put the muzzle of a .22 on the dirty floor board of a car, so rested it on his shoe! Yea, through shoe & toe & floor board.

I worked with a young Air Force woman whose twin brother was killed by a friend ‘accidentally’ shooting him.

You hear on the news of children ‘finding’ a gun & ‘accidentally shooting themselves or others.
Or a hunter ‘accidentally’ shooting a buddy.
Or the police ‘accidentally’ shooting the wrong person. ( About 10% of the time)
(The intended victim never shoots the wrong attacker!)

My wife requests (very firmly) that I don’t make ‘comments’, 4 letter LOUD comments, when the news uses the term: ‘Accidental Shooting’.
I do get heated!

There are NO accidental shootings. Period!

ALL involve ignoring one or more of the simple
Four Rules of Gun Safety.

Ok, I’ll calm down & take a deep breath.