Who has a Scope on Browning SA22? - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:18 PM
Longhair1957
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

My last one I had a nice little gloss vx-I 2-7 fine Plex. I loved it.
Not too big for the petite frame of the sa-22.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:26 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gru-Bee View Post
My favorite scope for my Browning SA 22 is the GruBee WolfPup 4X 3/4" tube. It is made exactly like the baby Redfield and has the form fit and function I want on the Browning 22. The rings are also a dead ringer match of the original.
Not surprised that it's your favorite. LOL
Old 08-02-2018, 08:48 PM
BadaBing11
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Caint find one like yers! Does they havem down at the feed store?

Does that comply with your vernacular requirements? Sure I use $ 50 words. My favorite tome is the Thesaurus. I also have $50 more in my pocket and a scoped SA!

Really , Iíd like one like yours, glossy and elegantly proportioned.But alas it was not to be. My search for one proved fruitless.And I wasnít putting that Oxidized Finish of an Abomination Cowcatcher Browning Billboard Anchor on my slender, elegant, light weight,un slung ,Cheaper Chinese Copy SA rifle for twice the money and twice the weight as a simple ,smaller ,lighter, glossy, understated weaver that does the same job.

But aesthetics is personal, like spending,so to each his own. The op asked for opinion and advice , and I gave mine. Let him decide what he wants.

P.S. I have 3/4 scopes and smaller and while they look better, they donít see as good, when compared to 1 inch or bigger scopes, less bright and less field of view and less magnification .Since the end objective, is to see what youíre shooting at and see it get shot , I personally,due to ocular impairment,stayed away from that option on this rifle.But other guys like them, so you might too.

Bottom line, these are fun guns, get yours shooting good for you ,and take it out early and often, you wonít regret it.
I'm totally about making it so I can see better . If I had to trade off appearance for function , it is function that takes the number one spot for me. A "nice to have," would be something that looks proportionally correct. I am having difficulty finding the Leupolds in gloss finish. That's not really a deal killer.

I found a Vortex Diamondback 1.75 x 5 x 33 at my lgs. It was very nice. Not quite as sleek but I think it would work well. I just don't know why Vortex has to clutter up a scope with all those holdover dots. There are so many of them on this scope that I couldnt focus on one if I wanted to. The crosshairs were heavy but I could live with them. The price was more than right.

I like the reticles on the Leupolds the best so far. I have not been able to find a 2x7 in person, only a 3x9. That is about the maximum size I think I would want to go.

Thanks everyone for your help. I've learned what I hoped for.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:43 PM
skulick
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
You nailed it "too many .22s"

The Weaver mount works fine. A small square file can cut an extra slot if needed for positioning. Avoid the tip-off grooves on the mount...semi-autos like to make scopes go for a "walk". But a screw or pin can be installed to stop that and it won't touch the receiver.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:57 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got my Browning scope mount in today. It did not have mounting screws with it. Someone please tell me this is a mistake. If not does anyone know what screws are needed and where to get them?

Second, I just ordered a Leupold Freedom 3x9x33 from The Optic Zone. The Freedom diameter at the objective is only 1.5Ē I believe thatís about 1/4Ē less than the vx2 3x9x33

Thanks for the help, Iíll post pics when Iím set up
Old 08-08-2018, 12:29 AM
Four52 shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
I got my Browning scope mount in today. It did not have mounting screws with it. Someone please tell me this is a mistake.
Mounting screws should have been included with the base.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:31 AM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine came with screws
Old 08-08-2018, 09:52 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
[QUOTE=BadaBing11;11115433]I don't know what parsimonious means, so you'll get no argument from me

I have done a little research since posting this thread and it seems there are some mounts that dont extend as far rear as the Browning mount. I don't know which are which, but from comments and looking at images there are some differences. Without being able to see them side by side , I think the browning mount is the most likely to give the best positioning of the scope.

I could do what my wife often does. Buy several of them and return the ones I don't like.

For the guys that run the Browning mount, I see they are only compatible with Browning rings, no. 12333. I gotta believe there are less expensive rings out there that will do the job just fine. What are you using for scope rings?

Pretty sure that the Brownings are the only rings that are compatible.These components are made by Talley,so Talley rings would be the same(except for the Browning logo)...and the same cost.
The older Browning slender bases appear on ebay from time to time.These were offered by Browning,as well as the company that made them for Browning,which was Redfield. (Gotta remember that the Browning company doesn't make anything.They simply market a load of products made by other vendors, under their own label.) These bases can use any 3/8" rimfire ring.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:13 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four52 shooter View Post
Mounting screws should have been included with the base.
Thanks Four52! I called Browning today and they as always were delightful and helpful on the phone and are sending me the screws. I gotta say, they have been fantastic to me everytime I have needed help with any of my Brownings.

Now I'm just waiting on a scope to come in.

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-08-2018, 03:33 PM
Four52 shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Thanks Four52! I called Browning today and they as always were delightful and helpful on the phone and are sending me the screws.
Great to hear the screws are on the way!

Quote:
For the guys that run the Browning mount, I see they are only compatible with Browning rings, no. 12333. I gotta believe there are less expensive rings out there that will do the job just fine. What are you using for scope rings?
On my Browning mount I used a set of gloss Leupold aluminum vertical split rings.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:12 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Just to keep the record straight, the current Browning base may look a little bulky and have the appearance of a billboard for the company, but it is NOT steel, it is made of aluminum. I have used three and much prefer them to any other option out there, all of which I have tried. To my knowledge, only the Leupold mount, that is too high and too forward for my tastes, is steel, and it is very heavy. The only redeeming feature of the Leupold is the rear sight can remain in place. I also had a Weaver base that attached with only the rear base screw, allowing use with the rear sight in place, but that lone 6-48 screw didn't instill much confidence. Also, the rifle could not be taken down with the scope in place using that single screw base.

Also for the record, the current Browning mount uses a standard 3/8" dovetail, and I have used several types and brands of rimfire rings on the mount, mostly the petite aluminum Burris rings. Now, only the Browning (Talley) rings will fill the notches in the base properly, so narrower profile rings may not look quite as nice, but they work and look fine to me...and I am a stickler for aesthetics.

TBR
Old 08-09-2018, 10:47 AM
Flexmoney

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gloss or matte for the mount and rings?

Any good pictures?
Old 08-09-2018, 11:55 AM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedum1 View Post
I have a late 1950ís (I think) SA-22 wheelsight model with the grooved receiver and a Leupold 4X Rimfire Special mounted.

That looks like mine.
Perfection.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:31 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile Yes perfection!

A grooved receiver has the best looks,and some would rightly argue that the alleged reason for discontinuing that practice:doesnít hold zero after takedown was bs.i still would rather have that than a cantilevered scope mounted on the barrel,browning or other.But they donít make them that way anymore.

One thing we can all agree on, in any iteration, with any scopemount,these are remarkably fun and pleasing guns to own and handle and shoot.

I am so tempted to by the 22 short model, especially in the maple stock, that itís hard not to just click the order now button.

But I just donít get out to the fields as much anymore.

Just the thought of that elegant perfectly balanced little gun in my hands.. pulled to my face,target and I mean acan or a cow pie or any thing but a bullseye,spotted and bang, bang bang, man thatís heaven.

The only thing that comes close is my Henry H001Y and now my new to me BL-22,
They have grooved receivers and shoot shorts ,longsand lrs,. They to are small light and balanced, but not as well and not semi auto.

So letís give thanks to the Japanese for keeping this fine firearm alive and kicking!
Otherwise , we couldnít argue over mounts and scopes, but only lament that we didnít buy one and keep it in 1969.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:59 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
TooMany22s, I hear your song. I learned to shoot with the Rem Mdl 24. My grampa (dad's side) bought it in 1925. When I first remember it, my dad had it and I shot it in 1946 when I was five. I started living with it in my hand every day on the farm when I turned 10. It grew old and had to be retired, but I still have it. I bought a Win 62 in 1954 and loved that rifle as well. It was stolen a few years later while I was in college, and in the summer of '60 I found my Belgium SA in a hardware store in the small town I lived near. It was made in '59 and had been in the hardware store over a year I guess. Iiic I payed about $75 for it.

I have had a number of different scopes on it over the years, but I have a Nikon Rimfire 3x9 EFR target dot on it now.
[IMG][/IMG]

I think that is a Simmons 44Mag 4x that was on it several years ago.

And like you, my other fun gun - Well, they are ALL fun! - is my Henry H001.
[IMG][/IMG]
I had to buy my daughter one so I could occasionally get to shoot mine.
[IMG][/IMG]
That is a Weaver K4 on it. Her boyfriend was shooting my ATD in the background.

VH

Last edited by varmit hunter67; 08-12-2018 at 06:02 PM.