Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:35 AM
Noknot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One Day To Another

Why is it you can have good groups one day and bad grouping the next? I have found that out with all my guns. I was shooting my Tikka T1x 22lr along with my 2 CZ 452s. and was getting good grouping, dime sized from 50 yards from all guns a few days ago. Yesterday set up and couldnt get a decent group from any of them. Basically same weather conditions.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:10 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can think of a lot of reasons. The foremost of those for me would be caffeine. I shoot better without caffeine than I shoot with caffeine. but every shooter is different and marksmanship is a discipline that is difficult to maintain consistently.

Last edited by Squirrelbark; 04-02-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:15 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelbark View Post
I can think of a lot of reasons. The foremost of those for me would be caffeine. I shoot better without caffeine thanks I shoot with caffeine. but every shooter is different and marksmanship is a discipline that is difficult to maintain consistently.
Hydration is also important.

In addition to the "jittery" effect of caffeine it is a diuretic -- promotes the formation of urine -- so contributes to dehydration.

Just make sure there isn't a lot of sugar in whatever you drink to stay hydrated as that can also cause some jittering.
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2019, 10:47 AM
Noknot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The bad thing for me is I start chasing rabbits. If it doesnt group as well as it did the day before I start readjusting the action screws which messes everything up. Let me ask this, when working with the action screws, is it better to set target closer than 50 yards so you can get a better perspective of when the groups begin to tighten up or spread out?
Old 04-02-2019, 11:07 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noknot View Post
Let me ask this, when working with the action screws, is it better to set target closer than 50 yards so you can get a better perspective of when the groups begin to tighten up or spread out?
I think it's pretty hard to tell what's going on at 25 yards or less. Even Thunderbolts look like good ammo at those ranges. The longer the distance the more clearly one can see a trend of vertical vs horizontal stringing, etc.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:42 AM
Noknot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
I think it's pretty hard to tell what's going on at 25 yards or less. Even Thunderbolts look like good ammo at those ranges. The longer the distance the more clearly one can see a trend of vertical vs horizontal stringing, etc.
I didnt think anything could make Thunder Bolts look good. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:04 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Noknot, If it doesn't shoot as well as it did the day before, what changed? Not the torque on the action screws! So it has to be a difference in your shooting; that is your marksmanship.
Follow a simple set of marksmanship basic rules such as taking a few breaths before you begin to squeeze, making sure that your hold is always consistent.

If you are not rock steady, then don't shoot yet. take a breath or two to settle down and wait until you are really steady before you begin your shot.

Quote:
The bad thing for me is I start chasing rabbits. If it doesnt group as well as it did the day before I start readjusting the action screws which messes everything up. Let me ask this, when working with the action screws, is it better to set target closer than 50 yards so you can get a better perspective of when the groups begin to tighten up or spread out?
Old 04-02-2019, 05:40 PM
Noknot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks. I hope its just me. Makes sense, surly all 3 rifles didnt just go crazy at the same time.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:59 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another vote for caffeine effect. I remember years ago when I was into trapshooting, I would go to a trophy shoot early and get signed up and then nothing to do but stand around and drink coffee. By the time it was time to shoot I was shaking all over the place.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:25 PM
fish1448

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Use a wind flag or two. That will explain a lot. Learn to read the wind and promise you will shoot tighter groups
Old 04-02-2019, 08:15 PM
kisssofdeath
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't have a problem with caffeine. Personally (for me) I think it has to do with technique. If you shoot a lot of different guns then it's worse. I'm most affected by handguns and their different grips and grip angles. IDK, just something to think about.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:13 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kiss of death, l have taken very close look at your posted targets and I think you are right that it is your technique because you have so many groups where you put four together and then one or two outside the group. and I don't think that those are flyers due to ammo inconsistency, I think that's just the inconsistency in your shooting.
If you were to slow down your whole process, control your breathing, make sure you take a couple of breaths and then let out about 1/2 breath, look up at the sky before you focus on the target, and then concentrate on a very slow controlled trigger squeeze as you concentrate like a laser beam on holding the crosshairs on the AimPoint and do this ritualistically, consistently for five shots I think you would find that your rifles can and will shoot better than you are doing. But I say this because you already have a very scientific and repetitive approach to it which is good.
Hopefully you are still improving as a marksman. You might need only to slow down to see a measurable improvement.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:44 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelbark View Post
Kiss of death, l have taken very close look at your posted targets and I think you are right that it is your technique because you have so many groups where you put four together and then one or two outside the group. and I don't think that those are flyers due to ammo inconsistency, I think that's just the inconsistency in your shooting.
If you were to slow down your whole process, control your breathing, make sure you take a couple of breaths and then let out about 1/2 breath, look up at the sky before you focus on the target, and then concentrate on a very slow controlled trigger squeeze as you concentrate like a laser beam on holding the crosshairs on the AimPoint and do this ritualistically, consistently for five shots I think you would find that your rifles can and will shoot better than you are doing. But I say this because you already have a very scientific and repetitive approach to it which is good.
Hopefully you are still improving as a marksman. You might need only to slow down to see a measurable improvement.
I would say you are absolutely correct. One of my biggest variables is my grip and I'm talking about rifles too. I have caught myself being inconsistent with placement of my trigger finger, grip pressure and hand placement. No issue with shoulder pressure or cheek pressure or placement. I don't flinch but sometimes move off target at the last second. I'm always trying to improve and willing to take advice.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:52 PM
ohlongarm

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Why is it you can have good groups one day and bad grouping the next? I have found that out with all my guns. I was shooting my Tikka T1x 22lr along with my 2 CZ 452s. and was getting good grouping, dime sized from 50 yards from all guns a few days ago. Yesterday set up and couldnt get a decent group from any of them. Basically same weather conditions.
Shooter error bottom line,Metro swat 3 years we learned in training the rifle always shoots the same ,the shooter doesn't takes practice,practice,practice. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:40 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlongarm View Post
Shooter error bottom line,Metro swat 3 years we learned in training the rifle always shoots the same ,the shooter doesn't takes practice,practice,practice. Good luck.
I think it's a little more complicated with rimfires.