Jard trigger for A17 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:46 PM
stockranger

TPC Rating: 
67% (1)
Jard trigger for A17

Looks like Jard has just introduced a trigger for the A17 / A22 with weight options down to 1lb. Problem is that it will cost you almost as much as the gun...

http://www.jardinc.com/savage-a17a22/
Old 12-25-2018, 07:50 PM
Stripekiller
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the heads up on that. The A17's got a poor trigger, worst part on the gun, but for 250.00 plus its just too jagged a pill to swallow. I would bet it's a great trigger though, jard makes great stuff.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:09 PM
stockranger

TPC Rating: 
67% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripekiller View Post
Thanks for the heads up on that. The A17's got a poor trigger, worst part on the gun, but for 250.00 plus its just too jagged a pill to swallow. I would bet it's a great trigger though, jard makes great stuff.
I know right. Maybe 125 to 150, but that price is just too much.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:36 PM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Doing a trigger job on the A17's helps them out a lot. I tuned up the trigger in my A17 myself and it helped A LOT, it's still not perfect, but it is way better than it was out of the box from Savage. Mine out of the box was terrible, but I've heard other guys say theirs wasn't bad at all. I was pretty unlucky with the trigger in my A17 because it seriously sucked, but I lucked out with everything else because it shoots really well.

I guess if you luck out and get a A17 with a decent trigger, spending another $250 for a aftermarket trigger would be a hard sell, but if you get one with a really sucky trigger, spending the extra cash for a good trigger maybe wouldn't be so painful.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:46 PM
litewings

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After a long bit of research, took the chance and bought an A17 with heavy barrel and thumb-hole laminate stock. Had high hopes in accuracy. Unfortunately, got one with a truly pathetic trigger. Absolutely the worst trigger I have ever pulled. I've not done any trigger work on my guns for many years (just getting back into shooting after a long hiatus) but I'm sure I cant make it any worse than it is. And if I do, I'll have a good excuse to get the Jard.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:31 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by litewings View Post
After a long bit of research, took the chance and bought an A17 with heavy barrel and thumb-hole laminate stock. Had high hopes in accuracy. Unfortunately, got one with a truly pathetic trigger. Absolutely the worst trigger I have ever pulled. I've not done any trigger work on my guns for many years (just getting back into shooting after a long hiatus) but I'm sure I cant make it any worse than it is. And if I do, I'll have a good excuse to get the Jard.
I just wrote about this in another thread, it seems there is no middle ground with regard to the triggers in these A17's, you either luck out and get a really good one of you don't, and the trigger seriously sucks arse. The trigger in my A17 was the later of the two and seriously sucked and with a fair amount of work I was able to make a very respectable trigger out of it, but it definitely took some doing.

If you aren't well versed on triggers, particularly AR15 type triggers because the trigger in these A17's function very similar and are nothing like the trigger in a bolt action, I don't know that I'd recommend working on it yourself and you may be better off taking it to a good gunsmith, but if you do, pay extra close attention when you disassemble it, especially with how the safety floats back and forth in the safety trigger, that's the silver piece in the trigger itself.

I have mine down around 2-2.25 lbs with just a very slight hint of pretravel and that hint of pretravel pulls smooth, unlike the crunchy/jerky gobs of pretravel and extremely heavy trigger it had out of the box.

I find it very difficult to shoot just about any rifle, accurately, when the trigger is that bad.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:17 AM
Eric Mayer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They clip in better and drop much easier. Definitely a positive change. They work with old and new rifles.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:23 AM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pfft, y'all and your whimpy little small capacity mags, no Sir, I'll stick to the 25rnd Butler Creek mags

I appreciate the clarification though and I learned something new.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:38 AM
cmatera

TPC Rating: 
50% (1)
I have the old style mags (no hinge) didn't know there was a difference. I don't have a 25 round Butler Creek to try. While 25 would be nice, it would be a PIA off the bench. Since I had the barrel threaded for a little PD hunting, it would kind of defeat my purpose. May have to try the "new" mags though.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:52 AM
cmatera

TPC Rating: 
50% (1)
I went out and found and bought one of the "new style" magazines. I still will not work. Sending it back to Dean Van Marel at Jard on Monday for a refund.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:36 PM
Eccentric
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So did you get things sorted out with your trigger? A crappy trigger that doubles isn't good. Wouldn't want to get arrested for having an 'mg'.

I hope that the folks at Jard solved your mag compatibility problem with their trigger.