Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

New Project!: Making A Brass 10/22 Receiver From Scratch

440K views 916 replies 217 participants last post by  Al the Infidel 
#1 · (Edited)
So, I seldom visit the 10/22 forms, but I guess I will be from now on.

I have many pending projects, mostly for grandchildren and future grandchildren, and mostly high-end or custom bolt actions, but I've decided to make a 10/22 receiver. The reason is quite simple. I was an LDS bishop for many years, and during that time, I did my best to introduce our young people to shooting. While most enjoyed it, none seemed to show the enthusiasm I had when I was their age...until now.

One of the young men I mentored as a bishop recently asked, rather naively, whether or not I would consider helping him build a rifle. He wants to be a gunsmith and loves guns and shooting. He said he wanted to build a Rem 700 action. I told him that I wouldn't start with a centerfire, and that I wouldn't make a 700 clone, even if I did go centerfire. I ended up telling him I would think about it.

Well, I've built from parts 3 or 4 10/22s, but none really flipped my switch, and all went down the road when I started focusing on bolt actions and single shots. The 10/22s have become so common, the interest was gone. I had considered building my own receiver, but they too are everywhere, in aluminum and stainless. I recently bought a brass Henry Mare's Leg 45, and was very impressed with its appearance and smoothness. So, the light came on: Why not build a brass 10/22 receiver...and why not build two and involve this young man in the process of building his own? Doing so will teach him basic skills and introduce him to gunsmithing and gun building. And, depending on how much he wants to build, all the other parts are available in many variations. So, that's what I'm going to do.

Now, I have looked at a number of receiver drawings, which seemed pretty good but not complete. Is there a recommended set of blue prints for a 10/22 receiver scratch build like this?

Thanks in advance,

Teddy Bear Rat

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Sounds like it might be fun. Be careful, though, in some states I believe it is illegal to build a firearm with the intention of transferring it to another individual (sort of a grey line). If you have not already, DO YOUR RESEARCH! Especially now when good, honest citizens are unconstitutionally being labeled criminals overnight, it is important to cover your backside. Your best bet is to contact BATFE directly and ask your specific question... Don't trust what you read online.

As for dimensions, I was not able to find schematics for a 10/22 receiver anywhere. I may just sit own with my calipers one day, but I don't think that will be of great help to you as you will need a great deal of precision that (at least I) would not trust someone else to obtain. Sure would be fun to make an Autodesk 3D of it, though!

This sounds like an awesome project, I can't wait to see the results! :bthumb::bthumb:

#3 ·
I have an affinity for both 10/22`s,and brass fittings....your project idea is something I`ve always wanted to see (and own)........ awesomely cool !!!!!!!

Knowing that this project is well within your considerable, and very impressive, skill sets,I look forward to seeing the brass beauty some day :t:t

#6 ·
Thanks. I've actually looked at both those drawings, the first being the most detailed and helpful. The external dimensions are less important to me, since we plan to dress up the outside (probably integral scope bases, not a picatinny rail) and make hand-fitted stocks for them. I'll probably dovetail a separate piece into the receiver for the extended magazine plate, since machining that integrally is a huge waste of expensive brass.

TBR

#13 ·
Alright TBR...awesome project guy. Have you given any thought to using a bronze alloy? Years ago we made seals from brass and always had to be aware of steel on brass wear and the ease of brass in gauling. We went to 660 bearing bronze instead and found life and rigididity of the parts very much improved. Just a thought guy. Not sure how the brass will hold up to that bolt slamming back and forth.

#21 ·
Hey TBR
Once you have checked them againsat a reciever, which I assume you will do, let me know how accurate they are please. I may be interested in a set myself. I have compared a bunch of the other stuff on the web and it all leaves much to be desired as far as being accurate. Hopefully these prints are what they are described to be.

]Love that bike build. Amazing ingenuity and creativeness guy:bthumb::bthumb:

#22 ·
Hey TBR
Once you have checked them againsat a reciever, which I assume you will do, let me know how accurate they are please. I may be interested in a set myself. I have compared a bunch of the other stuff on the web and it all leaves much to be desired as far as being accurate. Hopefully these prints are what they are described to be.

]Love that bike build. Amazing ingenuity and creativeness guy:bthumb::bthumb:
Will do.

The drawings I already have are helpful enough, but one could never build a complete receiver from them. It seems much of the problem will be machining a receiver that is usually cast. Looking at the Ruger receiver, there are many areas that would be impossible to machine with conventional end mills and cutters, like the recoil spring guide detent recess. It is cast into the inside of the Ruger receiver with the detent hole punched in, maybe? I see no way to get a drill into that point on a finished receiver. A dentist's drill might do it. I have a milled VQ receiver at home, but I haven't taken the rifle apart yet to examine it.

TBR

#28 ·
Enlightening thread. I hope to make everything out of one piece of brass, but, like you indicated, there is some ingenious jerry-mandering going on there, which is always enlightening. Thanks.

As far as drilling that spring guide detent hole, the pure machinist in me would never allow me to access through the barrel shank hole (or use such a long, spindly drill), just because it would not be perfectly square, or in line. On the other hand, I'll probably end up having to do something similar. I've got many dentist friends...I'm thinking a right angle dentist's drill will do the trick. The bigger problem may be getting that little block that anchors the spring guide in there machined square. I know everyone probably uses a Dremel tool, or something like that, but that would be a last resort for me. I plan to tear down my Volquartsen machined receiver tonight and get some hints on how to machine this whole thing.

Thanks again,

TBR

#31 · (Edited)
Fabricating A Brass 10/22 Receiver: And So It Begins

The brass material for fabricating two 10/22 receivers arrived, as well as the set of drawings I bought on ebay. The material has the precise and proper dimensions without badly rounded corners sometimes seen on such material.

When I first opened the drawing tube, I was very disappointed, because the first drawing was the same as the one commonly seen on-line showing only external dimensions, but as I looked through all four drawings, I found the internal dimensions for a receiver with integral rails. That was exactly what I was needing. Interestingly, a drawing showing a weldable receiver was also included, along with complete bolt dimensions. There were also a few patent drawings, but, though interesting, they aren't going to help with this project. Maybe they just wanted people to think they were getting their money's worth, and four drawings might not.

The young man is coming over later this week, so, here we go!

I'll keep you posted.

TBR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.