Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Receiver Drilling Jig - Brownell's

135K views 588 replies 181 participants last post by  IrishLad01 
#1 ·
Okay ladies and gentlemen:

I was so moved by the premise of this pay it forward, that I wanted to do something a little different.

I want to add something perpetual - "living" if you will. As soon as someone chimes in that they want it, I will purchase and donate the Brownell's Receiver Drilling Jig.
Accurately Locates The Barrel Cleaning Hole On 10/22 Receivers - Permits barrel cleaning from the rear without removing the barrel; eliminates accuracy-destroying cleaning rod wear caused by cleaning from the muzzle. Locates the correct spot at the rear of 10/22 receivers for drilling a small hole to allow the cleaning rod to pass through. (Picture and ad copy from Brownell's)

I will pay for the part and for the initial round of shipping, with the following provisos:
1) That each person agrees to keep it only long enough to accomplish the task at hand - I would think a week to ten days should be sufficient.
2) That each user, immediately upon completing the drilling of their own receiver(s), put it back on Pay It Forward and pay for the shipping to the next recipient.
3) That the first user start a thread and all subsequent users post, maybe even with photos and comments to allow all to see just how far this thing might go.

I personally think this will be a really neat journey around the membership with an item that can be very helpful to those of us who do not have access to some of the high-tech tools that many here do.

There it is - Speak up......

John

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)

I purchased and donated one of these to the "Pay It Forward" thread in the Anything 10-22 Forum, last week. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463094&page=11 (Post#162)

I am starting this thread so as to have a place for users to post their experiences, pictures, etc., as this makes its way around the site. This way it will cause less traffic and confusion on the actual PIF thread.

It has been suggested that maybe a queue could be started here, for those who are interested in receiving the jig in the future. I will be adding a post that will be easy to copy and paste in order to keep things on track. Hope this helps,

John

#3 ·
I thought it would be interesting to see where this part stops on its journey - thought others might find it interesting, too. I respectfully request that when the users place their name into the list, they follow it with a location - as detailed or generic as you wish.

The list of interested parties that will be contacted by the current user of the tool, immediately upon completion of their respective receivers:

Started the journey at Brownell's - Montezuma, Iowa - Ordered 11/14/2012

1. JohnAl (Alabama) Arrived 11/19/2012
2. kjhilsinger
3. Kraaash (Michigan)
4. rdhood

#5 ·
Updating the list with my location. If you are near 30534 (Dawson/Lumpkin Counties) when the jig gets to me, give me a yell and you can drill your receiver, too!

2. kjhilsinger
3. Kraaash (Michigan)
4. rdhood (Georgia, 30534)

#15 ·
Updating the list with my location. If you are near 85138 (Maricopa, AZ) when the jig gets to me, give me a yell and you can drill your receiver, too!

2. Kjhilsinger (Maricopa, AZ)
3. Kraaash (Michigan)
I live close but probably too far to drive...I live in the FAR north end of PHX. I could use it for my wife's rifle so I will put my name on the list:bthumb:

Mr Crowley-
Your generosity is really appreciated. I can't wait to meet you in person and send some rounds downrange:bthumb:

3. Kraaash (Michigan)
5. masonred (se texas 77657)
6. Dr Heckel (Cave Creek AZ 85331)

#19 ·
OK.
In between helping out in the kitchen, frying a turkey, eating myself stupid, taking a nap, and helping clean up I got my second rifle done. I made pictures but they will have to wait. Home internet & TV has been out all evening. I'll post up a report when my internet is back up.

I will have it in the mail tomorrow to Kjhilsinger

#20 ·
Here is the jig.

I tried the jig on my 1969 model first. Everything went smoothly. No pictures on that one.

Then on to my new 2012 10/22 FS "Tactical".

I'm not going into the teardown of the rifle. That is covered in other threads here and on Youtube but it does need to come all the way down including removing the bolt. No need to remove the barrel. I did not have to remove my scope but anyone with a scope with an eyepiece larger than a 3X9X40 Nikon will probably have to remove their scope to provide enough clearance for the drilling jig.

Put some kind of tape on the right side of the receiver to protect the finish. I had some painters tape on hand. Use the screws that come with the jig to poke through the tape at the trigger assembly pin holes.

Note that the jig comes with a hollow spacer tube.

The spacer goes inside the receiver aligned with the front trigger assembly pin holes to prevent bending the receiver. The jig installs on the right side of the receiver. Install both screws with the fiber washers protecting the finish. The screws are allen head but they are a very close fit and do not need tightened past a firm finger tight. If the screws are snug the jig will not wiggle.

I had an old woodworkers vise with soft pine wood jaws to clamp the receiver and not damage the finish. If you do not have a vise I suggest getting a helper that can hold the receiver firmly on a table or workbench while drilling.

Put a piece of tape over the chamber face to prevent drilling chips from getting into the barrel.

Before drilling put some kind of lubricant on the drill bit. The jig instructions recommend a couple of different lubricants but I have found that a little bit of Dawn in some water (spray bottle in the pic) works well for drilling aluminum. It works much better than any kind of oil.

The instructions call for a "F" letter size drill bit. That is machinist/gunsmith type stuff and Lowes/Depot do not carry letter bits. An F bit is .257" and a 1/4" bit is .250". A difference of .007" can be a lot in many cases but for a cleaning rod hole it doesn't matter. Nothing anywhere near .250" is going to go into your bore.
The instructions warn against allowing the drill bit to go more than 1" into the receiver. If one has a long bit you could really screw up the chamber face. Most of the drilling chips stay outside the receiver but a few made it down to the chamber face.

The instructions call for a reamer to deburr the hole. There was not much burr around the hole inside or out but I just took a larger drill bit in my fingers and with very light pressure turned the bit a couple of turns to remove the sharp edge. Make sure you get all the chips out of the receiver before reassembly. Heck, now you don't have any excuse not to do a thorough cleaning before you put the rifle back together.

Sorry about the quality of this picture but now you should have a 1/4" hole perfectly aligned with the bore for cleaning. If it bothers you a piece of tape over the hole would keep debris out but the hole is below the stock and not much is likely to get in unless you are in a really dusty environment.

I want to add a little to jcrowleyiv's great contribution. I will throw in a quality 1/4" drill bit and a larger drill bit to deburr the hole just in case someone doesn't have the bits. If I can find an extra allen wrench laying around I will throw that in the package as well.

The package will be on the road tomorrow to the next on the list.

Package contents:
drilling jig
2 screws with fiber washers
hollow sleeve
2 drill bits
Original instruction sheet

#21 ·
:bthumb::bthumb:!!GREAT POST!!:bthumb::bthumb:

JohnAl - This should be a sticky!!!!! Very nice job of documenting and sharing.

:bthumb::bthumb::bthumb: On the gesture of sending along a drill bit and de-burring bit. RCBS makes a really good de-burring tool that is knurled for ease of grip.

Really top-notch job - This post should be incredibly helpful for those who follow you on the list.

Thank you for sharing -

John

#25 ·
Please add me also!

1. JohnAl (Alabama) Arrived 11/19/2012 - 2 rifles done - shipped 11/23/12
3. Kraaash (Michigan)
7. nheiny13 (Clovis, CA)
8. kampfire (Dinwiddie, VA)

#26 ·
Please add me too

Please add me to the list.Please add me also!

3. Kraaash (Michigan)
7. nheiny13 (Clovis, CA)
9. alliegator (Tehachapi, Ca. 93561)

Thank you,

alliegator

#27 ·
I am new here, but I plan on being here for a long time. The 10 22 is my new addiction. I like the pay it forward thing. Please add me to the list.

3. Kraaash (Michigan)
7. nheiny13 (Clovis, CA)
10. thefixer (Tahoe City, Ca. 96145)

Thanks Kevin

#28 ·
I'd love to get added to this list

3. Kraaash (Michigan)
7. nheiny13 (Clovis, CA)
11. Goats99 (Durham, CT 06422

Thanks, goats

#30 · (Edited by Moderator)
I thought it might be interesting to see the mileage of this item's journey.
Mileage shown is cumulative.

Originated at Brownell's - Montezuma, Iowa (0 miles)
1. JohnAl (Alabama) Arrived 11/19/2012 - 2 rifles done - shipped 11/23/12 (967 miles)
2. Kjhilsinger (Maricopa, AZ) Arrived 11/26/2012 - 5 rifles done - shipped (2687 miles)
3. Kraaash (Michigan)
7. nheiny13 (Clovis, CA)

#34 ·
Please allow me to add myself

May I please be a part of this.

2. Kjhilsinger (Maricopa, AZ) received?
3. Kraaash (Michigan)
7. nheiny13 (Clovis, CA)
12. drewzter (Jacksonville, FL 32258)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.