Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Simple BX-25 Feed Issue Fix

118K views 94 replies 55 participants last post by  Mark1964 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just thought I'd try to get this simple and easy fix for the BX-25 magazines out there.

Please note that this only applies to the magazines that suffer the issue - I believe Ruger actually did improve the design after a while since only SOME of the magazines have the issue. If you have no issue...there's no reason to do this.

I've been reading around and it appears I'm not the only one with this issue. The issue is as follows:

Magazine will occasionally cause jams due to the bullets being at too little of an upward angle. This issue is more noticeable when the magazine is filled to capacity.

If you're like me...you want to know "why?" and I think I've figured it out.

While loading and unloading my magazine trying to see if the seemingly BS "oil in the magazine fix" would fix it - I realized what was actually happening. As more and more rounds are loaded, there is more and more lateral pressure being exerted on the follower. One of two things or both is happening...either the rounds are allowed to slip into the space between the follower and the side of the magazine and/or the follower is binding against the inside of the magazine which results in lack of tension. The reason this is happening is because there is an excessive amount of slop in the spindle/spool pieces. The little 'axle' on the follower is about 50% smaller than the inside diameter of the spool the spring is attached to.

Ironically enough, the fix involves using a spent .22 casing. Simply disassemble your BX-25 magazine, trim down your SPENT .22LR casing, slip it into the space pictured below, reassemble, then you're done! Life will be even easier if you have a .22 SHORT used casing laying around, but a .22LR will work, you'll just need to trim it down to make it fit.

It's not rocket science. Just make sure you trim it short enough to allow it to sit flush against the spool. It is IMPORTANT that it is flush against the spring spool, otherwise it will bind when the magazine is reassembled.

I used a set of toenail clippers to trim mine. Also, I'll add that it does help to put a little oil on the casing and in/around the spool to facilitate better function.

Hope this helps somebody out there. :)

-Buck

See less See more
#4 ·
Little update on this project.

I went to the range today and shot an entire box of Federal 36gr HP's - the blue 525rd box - using the repaired magazine. That's 21 mags worth. Not a SINGLE issue other than a singular stovepipe but that's not a mag issue.

I intentionally loaded the magazine haphazardly and quickly, seeing if I could induce the problem - nope. Flawless function.

Enjoy guys! :)

#5 ·
Here's some pics. This is after the 21 mag cycle (FYI the grayish junk on the axle is powder residue):

As you can see, there is some VERY light and superficial wearing on the spool and the face of the follower. Does not appear significant. Also, remember this was after 525rds.

Here's the improved version:

The bottom line is it would behoove one to clean up the edges of the casing before installing...but you don't have to. To put it in perspective, I couldn't even see the wear with my eyes, it wasn't until I looked at the pictures that I saw it.

#7 ·
Here's some pics. This is after the 21 mag cycle (FYI the grayish junk on the axle is powder residue):

Here's the improved version:

The bottom line is it would behoove one to clean up the edges of the casing before installing...but you don't have to. To put it in perspective, I couldn't even see the wear with my eyes, it wasn't until I looked at the pictures that I saw it.
Nice pics - what camera are you using ??? Still looking to compete with this detail photo TIA

That looks like the fiber/trace evidence CSI would find at a CS...

#10 ·
I wouldn't trust that. Consider what would happen if somehow the primer went off. It would blow the side of the magazine out or send the casing flying out somewhere...OR both.

It's not hard to just save a handful of spent casings to use for this. You'll probably need more than one - you know, in case you make a mistake. I cut my first one too short.

#13 ·
Strangely enough...mine didn't rattle at all.

Try it. If it starts locking up, go ahead and try my fix!

You'll know if it's going to jam or not. You can look at the bullet in the lip of the magazine - if it looks flat and not tilted upwards, it will NOT feed. Period. And when they get like that it's nearly impossible to get them out. HIGHLY aggravating.

#22 ·
I just did this fix to my BX-25 to solve some really crazy feed issues. Blew thru 2 mags with narry a hitch. Good enough test for me since it wouldn't feed but 2 or 3 rounds without a malfunction before.

Thanks Buck, figured it was worth a bump back to the top to help others with these issues. :bthumb:

#27 ·
I had posted this fix on a Ruger forum and some people still reported problems after using it.

Strangely it seems some people end up with magazines that have varying amounts of slop in the axle/bushing. Some have some that are so tight you couldn't put the .22 casing in it even if you tried, others have ones that are so sloppy that even the .22 shell won't work.

For the majority, however, it seems like the fix does work. :) Carry on!

#28 · (Edited)
I had posted this fix on a Ruger forum and some people still reported problems after using it.
And I, unfortunately, am one of those folks. I've tried every fix I can find, here, there, and everywhere.

I can get the magazines to work briefly, but, then... flat rounds. Tear down, clean like mad, lightly lube w/dry lube, and they'll feed fine for a few days. Strangely, it seems that time is more of an element than rounds fired, as the mags would absolutely not work after a few months sitting idle after being cleaned (not loaded).

The one mod I haven't tried is the replacement spring from Zipguns. Anyone with experience?

#34 ·
Just gave this a shot (pun intended) with a really badly behaving mag. It would slam a bullet nose every few shots when I bought it. The 10/22 being used with it was virtually 100% reliable across multiple ammo types.

I wasn't thrilled about the idea of using a spent casing because it doesn't completely remove the slop. You still have a gap. Ended up turning a part from bearing bronze on a lathe that spins freely with no slop, and also rides against the sides of the mag with about 0.005" of play just for insurance against binding.

Initial hand cycling a mag resulted in no failures and no dented noses. Prior function would jam every 3-5 rounds and dent virtually bullet nose. Fired four mags through it on the range this afternoon. Zero failures, the mag kept up with me unloading as fast as I could pull the trigger (which is light and crisp with very little takeup or after travel). So that's 125 rounds with a 0% fail rate.

No lubricant was added to the spring, unless finger grease counts.

Thanks, Buck22!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.