Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Simple BX-25 Feed Issue Fix

118K views 94 replies 55 participants last post by  Mark1964 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just thought I'd try to get this simple and easy fix for the BX-25 magazines out there.

Please note that this only applies to the magazines that suffer the issue - I believe Ruger actually did improve the design after a while since only SOME of the magazines have the issue. If you have no issue...there's no reason to do this.

I've been reading around and it appears I'm not the only one with this issue. The issue is as follows:

Magazine will occasionally cause jams due to the bullets being at too little of an upward angle. This issue is more noticeable when the magazine is filled to capacity.

If you're like me...you want to know "why?" and I think I've figured it out.

While loading and unloading my magazine trying to see if the seemingly BS "oil in the magazine fix" would fix it - I realized what was actually happening. As more and more rounds are loaded, there is more and more lateral pressure being exerted on the follower. One of two things or both is happening...either the rounds are allowed to slip into the space between the follower and the side of the magazine and/or the follower is binding against the inside of the magazine which results in lack of tension. The reason this is happening is because there is an excessive amount of slop in the spindle/spool pieces. The little 'axle' on the follower is about 50% smaller than the inside diameter of the spool the spring is attached to.

Ironically enough, the fix involves using a spent .22 casing. Simply disassemble your BX-25 magazine, trim down your SPENT .22LR casing, slip it into the space pictured below, reassemble, then you're done! Life will be even easier if you have a .22 SHORT used casing laying around, but a .22LR will work, you'll just need to trim it down to make it fit.

It's not rocket science. Just make sure you trim it short enough to allow it to sit flush against the spool. It is IMPORTANT that it is flush against the spring spool, otherwise it will bind when the magazine is reassembled.

I used a set of toenail clippers to trim mine. Also, I'll add that it does help to put a little oil on the casing and in/around the spool to facilitate better function.

Hope this helps somebody out there. :)

-Buck

See less See more
#77 ·
I have 4 BX-25's I've purchased within the last 2 months...and three of them are jam-o-matics. 1 of them has been fine. The rifle fires the BX-1's without issue.

Just bushed the 3 problem children using trimmed spent casings. Can't for the life of me understand why this would work, but I'm gonna give it a try. Thanks OP, for the idea. Hope it works!

#81 · (Edited)
Bullets not feeding right

For some reason the rounds get caught while the bolt is coming forward. I opened up the mag and looked at how much space was between the spring loop and follower and it looks like one of the newer ones because there was barely any space and not enough space for a spent case to fit. If I help the bolt forward it'll load but the next round gets scraped.

It gets caught in this position. Stock 10-round mags loads just fine.

Edit:
I just noticed that a round will chamber if I put a bit of pressure on the mag pushing it forward (making the rear of the mag dip lower than the front). Wonder if it's the mag latch, I replaced the stock with a Kidd latch with stiffer spring. I'll try replacing with a softer spring and if that doesn't help, I'll try the stock latch.

#84 ·
I bought a BX 25 the other day and went in to put in the short shell casing and it will not fit. They have done a change on the wheel that contains the spring. I seems to be about as tight as with the short mod. It ran pretty well I ran 100 rounds through it and had 3 failure to feeds using bulk pack Winchester 555 hollow points and the bullet point jammed against barrel opening. The Win hollow points are about the flattest ammo I have I think most others would work better. The hollow point bottom third stopped the feeding.

#86 ·
Decided to do the spent case mod to all four of my BX-25's.
Had an old box of CB Shorts so hand loaded four cartridges, and fired them.

Turns out only the BX-25 I purchased 10yrs or so ago would accept the spent case.
Ruger has tightened up the clearance between the post on the follower, and the hole in the spring's plastic piece.

On a clear one I purchased recently, the follower bound so bad you could barely load cartridges, so while apart I gave them all a tune up.
Polished the follower on all sides using 400/600 paper, and also did all the rails the follower runs on.
Gave the followers and all the rails a buff with some boat wax, and now they ride much smoother.

Just came in from firing a full mag with all four mags, and had no issues with any.

#93 ·
Hey guys, I just thought I'd try to get this simple and easy fix for the BX-25 magazines out there.

Please note that this only applies to the magazines that suffer the issue - I believe Ruger actually did improve the design after a while since only SOME of the magazines have the issue. If you have no issue...there's no reason to do this.

I've been reading around and it appears I'm not the only one with this issue. The issue is as follows:

Magazine will occasionally cause jams due to the bullets being at too little of an upward angle. This issue is more noticeable when the magazine is filled to capacity.

While loading and unloading my magazine trying to see if the seemingly BS "oil in the magazine fix" would fix it - I realized what was actually happening. As more and more rounds are loaded, there is more and more lateral pressure being exerted on the follower. One of two things or both is happening...either the rounds are allowed to slip into the space between the follower and the side of the magazine and/or the follower is binding against the inside of the magazine which results in lack of tension. The reason this is happening is because there is an excessive amount of slop in the spindle/spool pieces. The little 'axle' on the follower is about 50% smaller than the inside diameter of the spool the spring is attached to.

Ironically enough, the fix involves using a spent .22 casing. Simply disassemble your BX-25 magazine, trim down your SPENT .22LR casing, slip it into the space pictured below, reassemble, then you're done! Life will be even easier if you have a .22 SHORT used casing laying around, but a .22LR will work, you'll just need to trim it down to make it fit.

It's not rocket science. Just make sure you trim it short enough to allow it to sit flush against the spool. It is IMPORTANT that it is flush against the spring spool, otherwise it will bind when the magazine is reassembled.

I used a set of toenail clippers to trim mine. Also, I'll add that it does help to put a little oil on the casing and in/around the spool to facilitate better function.

-Buck
I did this as my first attempt at correcting my poorly built magazines. I refuse toJB Weld and sand down as a fix. Nothing has worked. Ruger should offer to make these work. This has been my first disappointment with Ruger, and I own over 1/2 dozen of their firearms. Ruger SHOULD BE ASHAMED for allowing terrible magazines to be sold.

#94 ·

-Buck
Good write-up! I haven't had the problem; is it likely to happen when the magazine is used more? I saw one fellow somewhere post another "fixit" for the BX 25. Taking apart, smoothing one half of the mag body, lubing with Frog Lube, etc.etc. My thought: if it doesn't need it, why do it? :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.