Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Remembering Cletus Hungwell (Rusty)

105K views 270 replies 166 participants last post by  MG-70 
#1 ·
Anybody talked to Cletus?

I have PM'd him a couple of times in the last week and gotten no reply. Is he doing OK?

#58 ·
Cletus is also a custom knifemaker. He shared his real name with me once so I could search for his knives on-line as he had retired.

Godspeed Cletus. Prayers for you and yours.

#59 · (Edited)
Domit, I am going to post a couple of threads in other forums linking to here just to make sure everyone hears about it.

Cletus' real name is Robert A. Von Boeckman Jr. or Rusty as he called himself. He is a musician. An artist. A machinist. A holster maker. A knife maker. A gun plumber. A Hunter. A Father and family man. He is one of the true nice guys here that would never consider anything other than sharing anything he had learned or figured out with everyone here.

He would no more keep an idea secret or think about making money off of it as he would harming his family. He has a great sense of humor and a great sense of right and wrong. Cletus and I shared many PM's, emails and phone calls. Though we never met I told him often that I thought of him as a friend. That was his doing...he was ever approachable.

He shared with me earlier this year that he was in a bad way and unless there was some miracle he didn't expect to live through the end of the year. Apparently his time has come and I am heartbroken. Knowing he is going to a better place only helps a little... grief is such a personal and selfish thing. Why would we want him to stay here when he can be at the feet of his Savior?

I have sent a card, letter and a picture of myself to Rusty so that before he goes he will be able to face to the name. Something comforting in that. I hope that everyone who knew him and even those that didn't will take a few minutes to do the same within the next day. After that he may not be able to smile at them any longer.

Keep him and his family and close friends in your prayers. I will miss him deeply and he will be spoken of with kindness, wit and reverence here at RFC for ever more. 'Cause the first SOB that bad mouths him is gonna answer to me.

Mark Potter
Tomball, TX

#68 ·
Domit, I am going to post a couple of threads in other forums linking to here just to make sure everyone hears about it.

Cletus' real name is Rusty Voeckman. He is a musician. An artist. A machinist. A holster maker. A knife maker. A gun plumber. A Hunter. A Father and family man. He is one of the true nice guys here that would never consider anything other than sharing anything he had learned or figured out with everyone here.

He would no more keep an idea secret or think about making money off of it as he would harming his family. He has a great sense of humor and a great sense of right and wrong. Cletus and I shared many PM's, emails and phone calls. Though we never met I told him often that I thought of him as a friend. That was his doing...he was ever approachable.

He shared with me earlier this year that he was in a bad way and unless there was some miracle he didn't expect to live through the end of the year. Apparently his time has come and I am heartbroken. Knowing he is going to a better place only helps a little... grief is such a personal and selfish thing. Why would we want him to stay here when he can be at the feet of his Savior?

I have sent a card, letter and a picture of myself to Rusty so that before he goes he will be able to face to the name. Something comforting in that. I hope that everyone who knew him and even those that didn't will take a few minutes to do the same within the next day. After that he may not be able to smile at them any longer.

Keep him and his family and close friends in your prayers. I will miss him deeply and he will be spoken of with kindness, wit and reverence here at RFC for ever more. 'Cause the first SOB that bad mouths him is gonna answer to me.

Mark Potter
Tomball, TX
Markbo...check your PM box.

#60 ·
Cletus Hungwell is terminally ill

I know this is not the right forum, but I am placing this post just to link you to another in the Open Rimfire forum. Cletus will be with us only a few more days. Read the other thread and make your offerings to one of the best danged RFC.com members there has ever been.

Mark P.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245384

#61 ·

This might have been the right forum, but I am placing this post just to link you to another in the Open Rimfire forum so that every person that visits RFC.com may see it. Cletus will be with us only a few more days. Read the other thread and make your offerings to one of the best danged RFC.com members there has ever been.

Mark P.

#62 ·

This might have been the right forum, but I am placing this post just to link you to another in the Open Rimfire forum so that every person that visits RFC.com may see it. Cletus will be with us only a few more days. Read the other thread and make your offerings to one of the best danged RFC.com members there has ever been.

Mark P.

#66 ·
A fine gentleman

I am not amazed at the out pouring of"Best wishes" and "Our prayers are with you" because knowing him or speaking with him, you find out he is a straight shooter and a fine gentleman. His knowledge, expertise and friendlyness will be sorely missed. He made my journey on these threads a little more sure footed and pleasant by his kind words. We all lose a part of our humanity when kind souls depart from us. His family has my prayers. When you get to where we all wish to be, make sure the range will be open. I would be proud to sit at the shooting bench next to you. David

#72 ·
No wrong forum.........

Markbo, there is NO WRONG forum to inform those of us who didn't know of his grave illness. Those that did know, did not disclose it as it wasn't their call to make and did so out of respect for the mans privacy. He always had kind words for me and I often dipped my bucket into his well of knowledge. He will be remembered most kindly. I know I will remember him so.......

David

#75 ·
I have not had any interaction with Cletus, but I have gain knowledge from his boutiful wealth. Thanks for such selfless sharing. Cletus, you and family are in my prayers......and for the rest of us, instead of being sad at our loss of Cletus, rejoyce in all his accomplishments, all he has done and what he has brought to RFC and the rest of people touched by his life.

#76 ·
Holy crap! I was floored when I read this. Cletus has been on RFC a long time (if not from the beginning) and has helped countless folks here on RFC. As someone pointed out, he was an institution.

My prayers go out to him and his family. He's one of those guys you would think he'd be around giving great advice forever. And in a way, RFC has immortalized him here with his posts and 'stickies' telling us all how to fix our .22 rim-fires.

Thank you, Cletus and may God bless.

#78 ·
Sorry to hear this about Cletus. He and I were pm'ing back and forth just a few weeks ago about 10/22's and he revealed that he has cancer and the treatments and pain killers were making it hard for him to concentrate. He went on about deer hunting in the Texas hill country and it turned out he and I know some of the same folks in a tiny town there, small world. Brought a lot of pleasure to my life in as far as I have known him. We are praying for you Cletus/Robert.

#81 · (Edited)
My prayers are with Rusty and his family. He is the one that got me thinking about my first mod and his explanations, blurry pictures and all, are some of the best out there.

Rusty - Thank you for all of your posts, your fantastic attitude and your willingness to help everyone. You demonstrated everything good about RFC and you will be missed. An attitude that I am sure cared over into every aspect of your life.

Jamie

P.S. Ask Jesus what He shoots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.