Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Why

10K views 68 replies 48 participants last post by  Nick7274 
#1 ·
Why does Ruger continue to produce 10-22 rifles with such POS trigger. Why do they think we enjoy swapping it out and forking over more over our money to fix something they make wrong. :mad:

#5 ·
That is probably a lot towards their reasoning.

As far as the BX trigger goes, Ruger makes a lot of extra money selling better triggers. Most people don't see the need for a better trigger. Plenty of more serious shooters want the better trigger so they will pay for it.

Ruger makes more money either way.

#4 · (Edited)
Which leads to the further question, why after developing the BX-Trigger didn't they make standard OEM on every new 10/22 and Charger? Doubtful it costs one dime more to produce. It's just a better design. Of course they're selling lots of those triggers separately, and there will continue to be plenty of existing 10/22 owners who will want a BX to retro-fit. But you really gotta' feel like a sucker if you buy a brand new 10/22 and immediately rush to buy a BX-Trigger for it. Not a good look for Ruger, if you ask me.

#7 ·
Free brimstone trigger job . Now quit yer whining:Do it it works, its not hard.

I agree , put the bx on every 1022. But then they would all be $50 more. And then they couldnt price compete with Marlin, and the other low cost 22 semi autos. All of which have less than stellar triggers.

The one thing that does make the 1022 better than the rest is that you can buy better every thing for them. Except the 10 round magazines, you cant beat their 10 round magazines.

#10 · (Edited)
I agree , put the bx on every 1022. But then they would all be $50 more. And then they couldnt price compete with Marlin, and the other low cost 22 semi autos. All of which have less than stellar triggers.
That's not how it works. They wouldn't be adding a BX at retail. They'd be factory installing BX's instead of standard TG's. And arguably, the BX costs Ruger little, if any, more to produce. Which means adding little, if any, to the cost of producing the rifle.

Maybe the hammer takes a few seconds more to machine. Otherwise making the components isn't substantially different, just slightly different geometry. So, pennies more? Maybe. But then 'economy of scale' applies if/when they sell more guns, which could very well make it not only a wash on production cost, but a boost to their bottom line.

And what would they be losing? Merely a percentage of aftermarket sales of BX-Triggers, but only those that would have been bought for new rifles. The market for upgrading "pre-BX" guns would still exist.

What it comes down to is, as a company do you strive to make your products better while still keeping your cost down? Or do you allow yourself to continue to believe that inferior but "good enough" is okay? Just look at all the 10/22 clones and near-clones cropping up, including several romancing the entry-level markets. If I were running Ruger I'd be doing everything I could to make our product the one to want.

#8 · (Edited)
Thinking back to my first 10/22 40 years ago, I never noticed how bad the trigger was. $10 for a brick of ammo at the local discount store and the day was made.

Fast forward to recent times. Are you a more sophisticated shooter who wants a better trigger? Buy the aftermarket trigger, modify the gun and Ruger can make extra coin and make the case in court that you are liable?:bthumb:

#15 ·
The majority wins. Most of the 10-22 buyers accept the standard trigger. We here are in the minority that want something better. They know where to make the extra dollars. They could easily make a better trigger for pennies more but why when they can make more for selling a complete drop in trigger group to the few that want one.

#16 ·
The question really isn’t specific to the 1022. Most of the 22’s on this forum have some “trick” for improving the trigger. Why do they sell replacement triggers for literally everything from ar’s to glocks to mausers to Mosins to sks’?
Seriously, not everyone needs a better trigger, and especially in third world nation armies, a stiffer trigger can save lives of recruits. When you are a good enough shot to appreciate that better trigger, you can upgrade, and no innocent bystanders, friends, or neighbors got hurt in your getting to that point.

#19 ·
The majority of buyers don't know the difference, and don't care. A factory Ruger trigger will smooth out somewhat with use, and for the average, undiscerning buyer, it's "good enough" that it goes bang.

You have above average taste and ability to change the functionality of your 10-22s, which is a good thing. I do not expect Ruger to improve their stock triggers- their idea of an upgrade is a BX trigger, which in my experience is not "better" enough to justify the cost.

All 7 of the 10-22s in my safe have Kidd triggers, so I'm more of a snob than you, lol. In fact, the only Ruger parts I use are magazines, and even my preferred mags are the now discontinued Tactical Innovations TI25s.

DrGunner

#20 ·
One of my co-workers bought a 10/22 for plinking with his son. He was very happy with it and kept telling me what a great trigger it had. He asked me to help coach his son a bit, so we went to the range the next weekend.

Yup, it had the standard 10/22 trigger! It was about average for a factory 10/22 trigger.

That is exactly why Ruger keeps putting that trigger in the 10/22. Most plinkers don't know any better and don't care. It goes pew-pew every time they pull the trigger and they can hit tin cans at 5 yards so they're happy!

I was nice to my co-worker and didn't bring any of my 10/22's with Kidd triggers to the range.

Nolan

#21 ·
Yep! In a way, a heavy trigger on a stock 10-22 isn't such a bad thing. Many 10-22s are purchased as starter guns for kids. I can tell you from personal experience, you want at least a 2lb trigger pull when teaching newbies and youngsters to shoot- especially boys.
After they've learned the ropes with safety, then they can step to something lighter and learn what a "nice" trigger feels like.

DrG

#22 ·
Ruger doesn't put a "better" trigger in the 10-22 for the same reason they install ill-fitting ugly plywood grips on their single action revolvers, and send them out with thread choke in the barrels and undersized chamber throats. They do it because Joe Sixpack doesn't know or care that things could be better. Joe will continue to purchase their sometimes-functioning guns because all he does is blast at targets 10 yards away anyway. As long as he sees holes close to where he wanted them, he's content.

Ruger figures that anyone sophisticated enough to realize that their 10-22 doesn't have to have a 10-pound, gritty trigger is going to replace it anyway, or at very least do a trigger job (or pay someone else to do it for him). It's the same with their revolvers. They realize that anyone who is knowledgeable enough to realize that grips should actually fit the gun is probably going to replace the factory grips anyway. If they actually realize how a revolver should be manufactured, they'll send it to a gunsmith to have the factory supplied deficiencies corrected (because Ruger sure won't do it).

#23 · (Edited)
I've been shooting for more than 50 years. I have about a dozen 10/22s from every era from the 1970s to current day. I've never replaced the triggers on any of them. Don't own a BX trigger and never had a trigger job done on a 10/22. I am also a rifle instructor and use 10/22s in my classes all with stock triggers.

Call me a luddite, call me unsophisticated but I've never found a 10/22 that I couldn't shoot well even with a stock trigger. Of course if I want precision accuracy I'll use a different rifle than a 10/22. But a 10/22 is what it is and what it is is good enough for 99% of it's owners and that is why Ruger doesn't have the BX trigger on their standard 10/22s.

#25 ·
I've been shooting for more than 50 years. I have about a dozen 10/22s from every era from the 1970s to current day. I've never replaced the triggers on any of them. Don't own a BX trigger and never had a trigger job done on a 10/22. I am also a rifle instructor and use 10/22s in my classes all with stock triggers.

Call me a luddite, call me unsophisticated but I've never found a 10/22 that I couldn't shoot well even with a stock trigger. Of course if I want precision accuracy I'll use a different rifle than a 10/22. But a 10/22 is what it is and what it is is good enough for 99% of it's owners and that is why Ruger doesn't have the BX trigger on their standard 10/22s.
You are correct of course, ya dang Luddite. ;) It's only us effete, elitist forum nutjobs who sneeringly look down our noses at stock triggers. I do some sort of trigger improvement on almost every gun I own, for a smoother and lighter pull. Partly it's curiosity--What can I get this thing to do? And it's also for the nicer experience when pulling, and making holes show up closer together.

Certainly for general plinking and initial marksmanship training, it's good enough.

#26 · (Edited)
I've been shooting Ruger's of all kinds for fifty plus years. It's been my experience that Ruger does a decent job of producing new designs and models and umpteen variations on those models, but it's also been my experience that once a model has been introduced, Ruger tends to be stubborn about avoiding any "upgrade" to those basic actions with what we shooters might view as improvements. I can only speculate as to what goes in behind their corporate doors, but to me the trigger on a 10/22 is just Ruger being Ruger and it's not like they lack for sales.

Moreover, I've been shooting 10/22s almost as long as there have been 10/22s and for most of those years, I just used those stock triggers and did just fine. This, of course, was many, many years before we had any aftermarket options for 10/22s. In those days, no one could have imagined that someday, shooters would be turning 10/22s into race guns. The 10/22 was just a good out of the box value in 22 auto and it still is, crummy trigger and all.

#28 ·
I see people all the time with 100% OEM 10/22's at my LGS or at the range. Usually when I do see someone with one I start talking to them about upgrades that can be made, especially to the trigger. By far the most common answer I get back from them regarding the trigger is that their OEM triggers are completely fine. 95% of the 10/22 owners out there will buy a 10/22, take it out of the box, maybe put some type of optic on it, and shoot it. They are more than happy to be able to hit a tin can @50 yards. Ruger's not going to change anything on one of the best selling firearms of all time. And for those few people outside of the 1% that we represent that want something just a little better, they have different models like the Performance Center 10/22 which comes with the BX trigger at a higher price. Of every single firearm I own (rifles & handguns) I can only think of a couple that don't require either a re-worked or aftermarket trigger to get it to how I want it. The only firearms I own that do have great OEM triggers are Performance Center models from a couple different companies. And I paid a heck of a lot more for most of my firearms than the cost of a new 10/22 carbine.

#30 ·
Why? Because people continue to buy them. It doesn't matter if they are $100 more expensive than a Marlin 60, that is both more accurate and reliable out of the box. As long as people buy their stuff, they will continue to build it as cheaply as humanly possible, and charge the maximum people will pay. Basic business...

#32 ·
You're in Trouble Now!

UH OH! you did it now. You said something bad about the Ruger 10/22. You are in trouble BIG TIME! No matter how poorly they group, no matter how poor the trigger, no matter that a lot of people replace the barrel, receiver and stock, no matter how much is spent in after market parts, you Never, Ever, Ever, EVER say anything about the re-veered, iconic, MOA(+) Ruger 10/22.

We dont tell people that superman is really just Clark Kent without the Glasses
We dont tell people that the King is not wearing clothes
We dont tell Elvis Presely the Cape with Sequins are not not a good look
And WE NEVER EVER EVER EVER say anything bad about the Ruger 10/22.

:eek:

#34 ·
The common lawyer trigger. Thank god they haven't made them like the Ruger American Rimfire or Savage Accu Trigger. Horrible to work on! Ruger wants to stay in business. So most guns are put out with sporting weight triggers that take at least five pounds if not 10 pounds to shoot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.