Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Receiver for a new build

12K views 58 replies 26 participants last post by  M2HB 
#1 ·
This is my first post on RFC after reading through many helpful posts I still can't decide which receiver to use to build a need 10/22.

I have read through several posts where some people say it doesn't matter what receiver you get as the receiver has nothing to do with repeatable accuracy others say it does. Would also like it to be somewhat reliable with the parts I will be using.

The new build will be mainly used for target shooting maybe entering slowly into matches. I have a Feddersen .920 barrel, JWH bolt and will probably be sending out a trigger group to Brimstone.

My three choices for receivers are a CST Centrix, Ruger OEM or Brownells railed.

Thanks in advance.

#47 ·
I've been tinkering with a Brownells TD receiver. Fitting the bolt wasn't a big deal, but still shouldn't have been an issue in the first place. It fit into a PMACA chassis fine with a stock trigger, but not a Timney. Yet the receiver and Timney trigger fit perfect in a Hogue stock, and the Brownells receiver with stock trigger dropped right into the PMACA chassis.

I'll reserve judgment until I have assembled it and broken it in.

#48 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions. I ended up using a Ruger OEM receiver. Shoots better than I ever will.

Ruger OEM receiver
Feddersen 16.5 inch bull barrel
Ruger BX trigger
JWH Bolt w/Volquartsen firing pin
Boyds At-ONE Thumbhole stock

The Feddersen barrel was lightly loose in the Ruger receiver. I placed a .001 piece of steel shimming material in between the barrel and the takedown screw shelf. May replace the OEM receiver for CST CentriX receiver in the future.

I also had to replace the JWH firing pin that came with the bolt as it was hitting the barrel. Had zero response from JWH for a replacement firing pin. I just ended up switching it out for a Volquartsen firing pin.

Using a Diamondback HD 4-16x42 scope.

Will update this thread with pictures of the targets when I am able to go out and actually put this 10/22 through its paces.

Thank you all again for the suggestions.

#50 ·
Exactly. The only reason the SS receivers exist is because they know people will shell out the extra $ for them. Practically speaking there is absolutely no advantage to using one on a .22 rifle. They don't even look different. If someone wants one then by all means use one. Most of the stuff we buy around here is all out of want anyhow.

#59 ·
They seem to be well made. I bought 5 of them and before I checked them out of the transferring dealer, friends of mine wanted some. So, I ordered 5 more. I had most of them nitride treated.

They seem to be as well made as MOA receivers. The Kingston receivers look just like Ruger receivers, except made out of cast steel.

I wish I knew who made them. I'm keeping mine for custom builds for future grandchildren.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.