Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Receiver for a new build

12K views 58 replies 26 participants last post by  M2HB 
#1 ·
This is my first post on RFC after reading through many helpful posts I still can't decide which receiver to use to build a need 10/22.

I have read through several posts where some people say it doesn't matter what receiver you get as the receiver has nothing to do with repeatable accuracy others say it does. Would also like it to be somewhat reliable with the parts I will be using.

The new build will be mainly used for target shooting maybe entering slowly into matches. I have a Feddersen .920 barrel, JWH bolt and will probably be sending out a trigger group to Brimstone.

My three choices for receivers are a CST Centrix, Ruger OEM or Brownells railed.

Thanks in advance.

#13 · (Edited)
+1

The integrated Pic. rail adds strength to the receiver, this model provides more scope mounting options with the extended rail and I doubt you'll wear it out in spite of the fact that it is made from the inferior 6061 aluminum.;)

If I were building, getting this to my house--after FFL transfer and background check fees-- for ~$200 is about as good as it's going to get IMO. I personally would go for the black though.

#10 ·
Their prices are decent.

If I was building another custom 10/22, I would buy a receiver that was in the same league as the parts I intend to use.

The only way I would use a stock receiver is if I already had one and I didn't have the funds for a better one. Remember, the receiver is the foundation of your build.

#11 ·
Prefer the Tactical Innovations stainless steel 22S receiver to anything else!
That's mainly because most aluminum receivers are made from 6061 instead of the much superior 7075 as they should be!

If I had to choose 2nd, it would be the CST with the auto bolt hold-open feature.
Actually the CST bolt is the one I choose to go with the TI 22S receiver.

Third would have to be the Tactical Solutions VR receiver with double recoil springs!

#14 ·
I was leaning a little more toward the CST just in case I wanted to add the bolt hold open feature at a later time.

It seems no one went for the Brownells receiver.

There is another recent thread where the reviews are favorable, it seems Brownells and their supplier have finally figured it out and put out a decent receiver.

#16 ·
We're talking about a 10/22. Any receiver you choose will be plenty strong enough to handle whatever you do to it. I personally prefer a CNC'd receiver due to the consistency. Other than that IMO it's just a matter of preference. If I was starting a new build TI and Kidd would be at the top of my list.

#18 ·
Brownells or KIDD

If I wanted to create a budget build, maybe to use up parts that I have around, I would go with the Brownells for $100 or so

I have never had a problem with them
Both of my builds using that receiver run fine
They both Shoot well

Otherwise it's KIDD for a few bucks more
$175
:bthumb:

#19 ·
I have a Kidd receiver, several Ruger receivers, and a few Brownells railed receivers. I like the Kidd the best but at 3 times the cost I can’t justify it unless I am adding his rear tang or if I was building a complete Kidd rifle. My only dislike on the Brownells receiver is the finish is very rough like a cheap AR15 lower. Dust and dry hands easily leave marks. They can be wiped away but it’s annoying. You also have to be careful about what lubricants you use because something like a Aerosol Dry Lube will dry white in rough finish and can be a pain to remove. I have had about a dozen Ruger receivers and have worked on several friends Rugers. Some have tight barrel fit and some don’t. Some cant the barrel a bit. Others had scope rail holes that were easily stripped even with a inch lb torque wrench. The few I have have no flaws but it’s a gamble especially if you are buying a used one. I have been thinking of tumbling a Brownells receiver in steel pins and water to see if I can remove the finish for a stainless look.

#20 ·
I have 12 1022s , 11 oem receivers, not one with a problem. I have a Kingston Armory receiver, thats to darn tight to run a JHW bolt, it will run an oem bolt. The Rugers run JWH bolts just fine, take gm and Shilen and ksa and oem barrels just fine. Me if i buy another receiver, doubtful, its gonna be an oem one. I have better things to spend the money on, like barrels and triggers and stocks and bolts .

#31 ·
I wont tell you which one to buy or even recommend one. But I will tell you this... I have built 14 or 16 10-22s (I forget exactly) and I dont stop until it can shoot sub 1/2" groups @ 50yds with plinking/bulk ammo. Every single one. Most of those will shoot 1/4" groups with $5 sub sonic ammo - not $15-$20 match ammo - many built on Ruger receivers. :D

#35 ·
I just completed a build using the Kidd receiver with the rear tang. As far as I know Kidd is the only manufacturer offering this option. I must admit that I am an "old school" guy and feel real uncomfortable about only having one action screw hold everything together (teeter/totter effect), even on a build that is properly glassed-in. If the sighting system were mounted to the barrel it might be aptly argued that having the back end of the receiver not tied down might be viable.

#37 ·
Like many have suggested, I built my precision 10/22 based on my original 10/22 for donor parts. The only part I used from the donor was the receiver. to build my Frankenstein 10/22 the only parts I really spent any real big cash was the TacSol heavy barrel and Vortex PTS glass. Trigger group, bolt and chassis are a mix of Valquarsen, TandemKross and Archangel. First 100 yd competition after break in produced 100x7, .25MOA.

#41 ·
This is my first post on RFC after reading through many helpful posts I still can't decide which receiver to use to build a need 10/22.

I have read through several posts where some people say it doesn't matter what receiver you get as the receiver has nothing to do with repeatable accuracy others say it does. Would also like it to be somewhat reliable with the parts I will be using.

The new build will be mainly used for target shooting maybe entering slowly into matches. I have a Feddersen .920 barrel, JWH bolt and will probably be sending out a trigger group to Brimstone.

My three choices for receivers are a CST Centrix, Ruger OEM or Brownells railed.

Thanks in advance.
Don't get me wrong 7075 does not cost much more and the rise in machine speed offsets the material cost.The colors are not easily at anodize which is the main problem.6061-T6 is plenty strong and I challenge anyone on this forum to know the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#45 ·
When Joe Chacon asked me what receiver I wanted for my build, I told him I wanted stainless steel because it was there and knew I couldn't get 7075.

My TI 22S stainless steel receiver is heavy but I like it a lot and have no complaints.
If TI ever makes one with a rear tang, I would buy them exclusively!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.