Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

CST Action

7K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Goo 
#1 ·
#3 ·
You don't have to buy the CST receiver for the bolt lock. It'll work in most factory spec 10/22 receivers cause it goes in the trigger group. I think you can even send them your regular bolt and they'll machine the notch on it so you don't have to buy a CST bolt.

#5 ·
I built a rifle using the CST receiver. Like it very much. I bought the whole action from CST, receiver, bolt, trigger group. Runs like clockwork. Yes, expensive, but no more than a Kidd complete action IIRC. Quality is comparable. (I have a Kidd too.) Gives me a 10/22 that works the way my other semi's work. The way I expect a semi to work.

#6 ·
Kidd receiver ($175), Single stage trigger ($200), and bolt ($100). That's $475 compared to the $609 for the CST setup with a lesser trigger IMO. But your also getting the last round bolt hold on the CST. So it's not as much of a difference as I originally thought. So I guess it would be more a matter of preference. I've never dealt with CST customer service so I can't comment on that. But I've been very happy with Kidd's CS.

#7 ·
The Kidd parts you are comparing are the cheapest they sell and do not compare to the cheaper CST parts. When you compare the top of the line Kidd parts to the top CST parts, both are pretty close in cost. I just wanted to know if the quality and performance is worth the money. Thanks for the input.

#9 ·
On the Kidd, I got the 2 stage trigger at $300, so hardly any difference compared to CST. Kidd barrel too. I wasn't trying to save money, I put it in a McMillan stock.
With CST, I just ordered on their website with a CC and had my dealer email a FFL. I had it in a week or so. Emails from CST with confirmation and tracking. No issues at all. I just added a barrel and stock and was at the range a couple days later.
Kidd was fine too. No issues.
CST has a neat rear hold down screw arrangement. You can use it or not. I haven't yet. The hold down screw comes up from the bottom just behind the trigger guard. He has a video on how to do it, but I think it can be done without a milling machine as he shows. I plan to try it out when I have time.
Good Luck!

#13 ·
For those not aware, the other neat feature that comes standard on the CST receivers is the rear hold down tang. You can mill your stock and install a pillar to use this hold down or elect to remove it and mount it by only the standard Ruger design front mount screw near barrel. I milled out my Magpul X22 and installed the pillar and it went quite smoothly. I only needed to borrow my brother in laws drill press to make the pillar hole in stock and finished it out on inside with my Dremel tool. I used JB Weld for my bedding agent.
Air gun Trigger Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior

#26 ·
For those not aware, the other neat feature that comes standard on the CST receivers is the rear hold down tang. You can mill your stock and install a pillar to use this hold down or elect to remove it and mount it by only the standard Ruger design front mount screw near barrel. I milled out my Magpul X22 and installed the pillar and it went quite smoothly. I only needed to borrow my brother in laws drill press to make the pillar hole in stock and finished it out on inside with my Dremel tool. I used JB Weld for my bedding agent.
View attachment 204441
huntingskeetman,

I have the same receiver and stock. I am going to attempt the same modification to the stock and have a couple questions.

Did you attempt to remove the grip panel and butt-stock from the stock to provide access while epoxying the pillar in place?

If you did not remove the grip panels/butt-stock a brief description of how you got the epoxy in place would be greatly appreciated.

What did you use to inlet the the area behind the receiver? Any pictures would be greatly appreciated.

How is your pillar holding up since it has been used?

Thank you,

#14 ·
CST used to make a different Bolt Stop

The original CST Bolt Stop was a drop-in unit, which required a little milling on your magazines, but Ruger switched to a MIM-made bolt, and the cuts on the underside were in slightly different places, and you had to send your bolt also to CST.

I have several of the original Bolt Stops, and I am entirely satisfied with them. A rifle with the original Bolt Stop will not function with an unmodified magazine. I just bought a large number of magazines, and sent them all to CST.

The later Bolt Stop works with unmodified magazines.

#19 ·
I really wish rimfires were as consistent as air rifles.

With the current trend of PCP airgun accuracy, our beloved rimfire accuracy has become somewhat laughable.

I am looking at this one hard because I am, first and foremost, an airgunner by heart:

https://www.altaros.cz/en/pcp-rifles/119-altaros-m24.html

I want to go to the range and impress those who are using centerfires :gun4:

This gun will be formally introduced in IWA, Germany 2020.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.