Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

BROWNELL RECEIVER

44K views 160 replies 57 participants last post by  outdoorbum 
#1 ·
Just ordered a Brownell's railed receiver. The one without a rail was backordered. They said they were expecting those April 1st! Didn't happen so I thought I better get one while they at least had the railed version. Tech support guaranteed me that it was 0 moa. That was about all the info he had, no specific measurements on any thing else and who makes it is the BIG secret. I guess we will see. Anybody got one yet or any additional info?

#8 ·
I picked mine up today. The receiver has the ar15 style finish on it. The machining of the receiver is nice and smooth throughout. I dropped in an oem ruger bolt inside with a kidd handle and rod, that combo dropped right in with no problem. I then tried the same kidd handle and rod with a jwh bolt it will take alittle fitting to get it to drop in because of the tight tolerances no big deal. I tried both bolts in the receiver without the rod and they both slide nicely back and forth with little effort. I cant wait to put it all together just waiting to decide what barrel to install.

Jake

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I was not aware of Brownells offering a 10/22 receiver. Looking forward to learning more as my experience is limited to Ruger, Tactical Solutions, and Volquartsen receivers. My current preference is the Volquartsen receiver due to the integral rail, so I am intrigued by the Brownells receiver with that feature.

#10 ·
Got my receiver today. It looks great, finish looks great. Tried a ruger barrel and it slid in easy. Had a little movement to it after it was in but not bad. Tried a KIDD and didn't get it all the way in by hand. Very tight . I will get some measurements later. So far so good!

#11 ·
Got mine too

Checked my receiver on Friday

Looks good at a careful glance, but it will be another week from now before I get to build on it
(Kalifornia thing....)

Will be the basis of a real cool Budget Ultimate build

$100 receiver
$60 BX trigger
$44 JWH bolt
Nice price GM barrel

:bthumb:

#14 ·
Installed bolt with rod,spring and charging handle. There is a small fitment issue to get the bolt in with the complete unit. It wasn't a big deal and it finally went with no problem. I used a ruger bolt until I decide on a bolt. I am very glad to report that even with a ruger bolt and rod and spring, it is very smooth. No need to smooth out anything, the inside of the receiver is as smooth as it can be.

#24 ·
I'm thinking of buying one now as well. I got a bx trigger for under $50 on sale and I don't have a 10/22 to put it in. I'm trying to decide between the brownells and the kidd receiver.
I had to send my Brownell's receiver back, Out of spec. There is no comparison to the Kidd receiver. Not even close.

#36 ·
Just today I bought two of the Pic Railed models. Those were not on sale unfortunately, regular price of $89 but I thought that was fair. Only wish the pic rails were angled-20 MOA or so. BUT, for the money, good enough.

I have seen a few Ruger receivers over the years with stripped scope mount threads- the Pic Rail solves that problem permanently. I will use these on a couple of "sporter" rifles I have and sell off the original receivers at the local gunshow- I bet I get $75 or so out of them, which means I have less than $20 in the upgrade- well worth it.

#39 · (Edited)
Bought the railed version. I expected it to be a type II anodizing, which it isn't. Not a deal breaker though. Put a green mountain barrel in it, it needed some whacks with the mallet to seat the last 1/4 inch. The barrel inlet is tight, but had no isses aside from that.

I'll put up a picture once I mount the scope, but minus scope and rings I'm into it $370 with all new parts.

-----

Updated review 7/11/18

I bought one of these thinking it would be a nice bargain. The cleaning hole is nice as is the integration of the rail, however these features don't outweigh the downsides...

Upon transfer, the first thing I noticed was the finish of the receiver. Not smooth matte black type II anodizing as advertised, nope. What you get is a rough, a very rough, nearly phosphate like grey finish. In attempting to oil it, the rag breaks down and covers the rough finish in a covering of fibers and leaves me frustrated.

Installed parts went together smoothly, aside from the last 1/4" of the barrel that had to be whacked repeatedly with a mallet to seat fully.

Beware that the supplied Vblock and bolts may cause damage to the barrel depending on manufacturer. With a new green mtn sporter profile barrel, the bolt heads scratched and marred the barrel as they screwed in. The bolt heads have vertical grooves, unlike the smooth Ruger OEM bolts. These grooves scratch and mar the barrel as you tighten them down.

Overall I think the BRN22 receiver has promise, but it's poorly executed at the current time. I would NOT recommend this receiver. Buyer beware.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.