Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Remembering Cletus Hungwell (Rusty)

105K views 270 replies 166 participants last post by  MG-70 
#1 ·
Anybody talked to Cletus?

I have PM'd him a couple of times in the last week and gotten no reply. Is he doing OK?

#247 ·
I was shocked to see this post, I havent been by in a while.
I was reading through and noticed a lot of posts about how Cletus will be missed... and he will. Now Im not an old man but neither am I young, but a bit of old wisdom struck me as I was reading. Cletus may not be with us any longer, but there are a lot of people who didnt know him, that have never heard the name. People that are not members here and yet someday they will make their way here and join and Cletus will still be here teaching and sharing. That is the measure of a great man. I didnt know you that well Cletus but your honorable, and a good man. That is rare these days. See you later.

#248 ·
Danimal308, I'm sorry you stumbled into bad news...but truly, I like it when the threads of our friends get bumped back up. Remembering things they've said or done makes me smile.
It didn't at first. But now it's like a hug instead of a slap. I can't explain it better than that, but thanks for posting in the thread even though it grieved you.

#251 ·
I will make a point of checking out Cletus' posts... think I came across one or two during my few months of lurking here. They were informative, and based on comments posted here... he sounds like an incredible source of info.

May Heaven smile upon you every day!

Love and Peace to you, Cletus! :)

Lux eterna...!

#252 ·
Heat Bluing...ala Cletus...he was after me for a few weeks to get this done...by the time I got around to pulling off his idea he was in the hospital...I still feel bad he did not get to see it.:( I miss ya Cletus.

#255 ·
saw post

i think he got to see the post but could not reply. not sure things sort of ran together befor he went on to help get things ready for us to follow. he was a real friend and my only rimfire guru. we had lots of great times together, hunting,shooting, knife making, on and on. still pick up the telephone to call befor rembering. :( we knew each other for 33 years and mam o man did the time fly!!!!!!! thank you all for kind words about my friend. his mom and dad printed off every responce from everybody and still read them from time to time, thanks again. D O M I T !

#258 ·
DOMIT, I am sure that Rusty left a real-world legacy that most RFCers know nothing about. I hope that all his family left behind also know that he left an on-line legacy that they may know nothing about.

I thank you for giving them that access and hope that you continue to remind all of them what a gift he was to so many people that they don't even know. He is still helping people. What an incredible gift! Having lost friends and family myself, I know how great it is to hear that a loved one affected people positively beyond our own knowledge. And Rusty sure did that.

Look forward to meeting him one day.
RIP my friend

#264 ·
honor

in honor of him i took out his go to gun the leaver gun that he fit so miny different barrels to and made red mist out of some critters infesting my pond out back of my house. he liked helping me witrh this duty. he was one of the men that helped make this country safe . thanks my friend!!!!! D O M I T !

#267 ·
trip story

once apon a time rusty and i went to a officer safety seminar and after he was in a hotel restruant. well these 2 young women took an interest in him and long story short he was the star in his own rodeo!hehe! said the little one had ankles as big as his arm? never got him to explane that but he sure blushed a lot. just saying he never said anything just got red if he heard a pig squell!!!!

#268 · (Edited)
I may have posted this way way back...just want the new guys that click on this to understand whatta great innovator he was..he sadly never got to see this which was his idea..he PM'd me the idea and over a two month period got anxious to get me to do this..I was soooooo bizy I never did till after his passing...I still feel horrible about it and get a tear in my eye and a huge lump in my throat everytime I look at the gun this bolt is in..his Idea to "Heat Blue" this...came out straw yellow/gold...beautiful :bthumb: I loved Cletus..truly loved the guy.

If Rusty can get innerweb thingie in Heaven (and he is there) I hope he reads this...love ya Buddy.

#269 ·
Remembering Cletus in 2013.

Just this past weekend I went to my local range. Some guy was checking out my 10/22 build and noticed it didn't have a trigger return plunger. Made me think of Rusty.

Original, creative, innovative - above all a giver; a sharer of ideas, help and encouragement....and of course, maybe best of all, his humor!

Peace to all,
D.

#270 ·
I feel compelled to add my .22 cents.
I never knew Cletus nor had any interaction with him, but his legacy lives on through us.
Ive been a long time lurker of the RFC forum and have taken away lots of great information over the years. Cletus's name was a reoccuring feature on many of the most useful (to me) posts. Long after his passing, he continues to educate diyers and avid enthusiasts alike.
I truly appreciate his informative nature and seemingly endless need to share his wealth of knowledge with the members of this forum.
Though I never knew you, I consider you to be a friend.
May you continue to rest in peace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.