Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:25 PM
bangbang
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
I did some shopping to find an instructor that spent more time on the legal aspects than other instructors. It's not a wham bam thank you ma'am type of class.
Thats good. Since many dont cover that and many students dont think or care about it. Until its too late.

also, dont be afraid to ask questions. Some people are so fearful about asking questions to officials. Even a cop on the beat.

At my LGS many LEOs come in and will chat with the owners/employees. If i happen to be there or happen to come in when they are there i will listen. Sometimes listening is way better than asking. And i act like im doing my own thing and so they feel free to talk.

Same at gun shows. If a Law Enforcement Agacy is there to drum up some recruits, i will stop by and chat. IF everyone is avoiding them like the Plague you maybe able to have a long chat with them.

Quote:
I've been on this big round ball for 63 years and have always managed to use my noggin to keep me out of trouble. Things are changing rapidly and the have-nots may be coming after the haves for their "fair" share.
thats true, but it will depend on where you are on the pecking order and where you live. Most places have a "high end" area and so forth and it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know were those are. Locals usually do and so there is usually no secret to that.

im not worried about that and what happens since if they wanted to find those places, i sure dont live there and there are way more rich places to loot before they get to me.

You can go over all of the various scenarios if you want and do the "what ifs". It may chew up some time if you have alot on your hands.

Quote:
I understand there are insurance policies for this situation. That's something else I need to study up on.
yes there are. I haven't looked into this aspect myself. but as you may know, insurance is a funny critter. They love to take your money and promise the moon, but when it comes to payout. It maybe like hens teeth.

good luck
Old 07-05-2020, 09:57 PM
waltermoe
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I guess I don't understand why you would not want to use the reloads that you made for personal protection. I have been reloading now for almost fifty year, and I trust my reloads more than factory made ammo, I know that each round I reloaded has been personally inspected and has been tested in the pistol I carry. As far as some lawyer trying to say I used some killer bullet to shoot the person that was attacking me; I think that would have been the hole purpose of shooting the person that attacked me in the first place. Now as to what caliber pistol to use for personal defense, I believe that the colt 45acp is a real gun, real men carry real guns, the rest are for woman and children.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:20 PM
wolfzinAZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Reloading Info

I don't understand any of your comments. I've been handloading for 30 years with a Dillon 550b, one step and decade newer technology than the square deal. I also have huge hands and I've successfully loaded everything from .22 shorts to 300 Win Mag, never had problems with the size of the brass, bullet or primer.

On a good day a Dillon Square deal will top out at 200 rds per hour even with a dillon employee (s) help you. Start cheap with a Lee Precision handloader, for $80.00 get a set of Lee die for $35.00, get a couple of hundred used 9mm brass for $50.00 and a couple of hundred Winchester SP primers for $10.00. Buy some 124 gr. Lead bullets from Missouri Bullet for $35.00,do your research on what kind of powder that makes the most rounds per pound with adequate and safe power for under $30.00 per lb.(i get 1500 rounds per lb of Accurate powder (email me for a load RECOMMENDATION!!)) then start loading 9mm rounds, one at a time. You can get up to 100 rounds per 90 minutes. Cost is minimal, you learn the basics, you see if you can load rounds safely.

Then if you want to do a lot of rounds get a Lee 4 place turrent reloader for $135, with the complete kit, including auto-priming. You can do 200 rounds per hour, safely. THEN, if you want to spend $800 and do 250 rounds of pistol rounds per hour get a Dillon 550C. Dillon is a wonderful company and their guarantees are the best, but you pay for the quality!!

It's a very involved process, but i love sitting in front of TV and decapping brass and capping with new primers. I leave the TV and go to my reloading room, away from distractions to finish "cooking" the rounds. Safety, safety, and more safety!!

And my lawyer and my insurance company tell me that it is OK to use reloads for defense. Who can pay >$30.00 per twenty premium rounds when you have to practice every single week??

wolfzinAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmk View Post
Unless you have relatively small hands,, the first time reloader will enjoy reloading something like a 44 MAG WAY more than a 380.

I do reload 10MM on occasion, but, that is as small as I go,, I do have relatively LARGE hands (I enjoy wearing 3X gloves, I can squeeze into 2X,,sometimes,,)

I would HATE to learn reloading on a 380,,
that would be like learning to drive using a gokart on a 70MPH Interstate.

Reloading is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby. Do not make it difficult.

Auto-loader pistols are finicky, and therefore difficult
Small primers are difficult
Small cartridges are powder sensitive, and therefore difficult
Compared to the 44 Mag, the 380 mini cartridges are difficult to handle

Now,,if you do not have ammo,, reload the 380 and 9mm,, but, understand,, it is not then a "fun hobby" activity,,

PS. : if you are gonna reload the 9mm,, order a Dillon Square Deal press,,
After an hour of tinkering, the Square Deal can reload 500 rounds per hour,, easily,,
If your spouse, or friend is helping, it can reload 900 rounds an hour, I have done it many times, with 44 Mag ammo.

If you get the Square Deal, you can thank me later!!

Last edited by wolfzinAZ; 07-05-2020 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:51 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
I was thinking of selling all of my presses, which I have 4 of, but thought I better keep one just for 9mm and 380.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:19 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Iíve been reloading for 45 years. I started with an old Lyman press and then went to a RCBS Rock Chucker. I then received one of the first Dillon 550 press. It had many 450 parts and had to be taken back so they could finish it correctly. I have several now, plus a 1050.

9mm is easy to load. I use HP-38 or Winchester 231 powder. The key is to have the components before a shortage.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:21 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
I was thinking of selling all of my presses, which I have 4 of, but thought I better keep one just for 9mm and 380.
fwiw,

you may want to consider what press is more versatile caliber wise and go from there.

Since you already have press, it would suck to go out and buy one sometime in the future if you change your mind.

I bought a used Dillon SDB from a friend that thought he didnt need it anymore.

i like my lee Pro 1000s since i can swap turrets easily. but i still have 4 of them so that i can keep different presses setup for rifle or pistol.

eventually i will sell my presses off, but for now i need to do some reloading.

Last edited by bangbang; 07-06-2020 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:29 PM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermoe View Post
I believe that the colt 45acp is a real gun, real men carry real guns, the rest are for woman and children.
I don't know whether to count myself as a woman or a child...maybe both.

≡✪≡
Old 07-06-2020, 07:00 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA80x80 View Post
I don't know whether to count myself as a woman or a child...maybe both.
You do bear a remarkable resemblance to Shirley Temple...
Old 07-07-2020, 06:03 AM
LuckyGuy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Post Wellllll

Quote:
Just couldn't justify the investment for the amount of handgun ammo I shoot but now the frustrations over shortages change the equation. I'm all set for rifle calibers but no dies, primers, powder or lead for the handguns.

I've heard never use reloads for personal protection due to a lawyer having a field day saying you loaded them hot specifically to kill or maim. (which I thought was the purpose of defending yourself with a firearm)

Are there any pistol reloaders here that will be willing to share thoughts?
If you are 100% sure you do good reloads, then there's nothing wrong with using them for self defense. Just do not tell anybody that you do. There is no way to tell if it is factory or your reloads.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:16 AM
56S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oddly enough while in Rural King I spotted a fresh shipment of Tulammo 9mm. 4 box limit priced at $7.49/50.

I will start gathering components and start reloading the 9x19 as things become available....if they ever do. Ironically the best deals I've found on rifle bullets and powder were after this current panic started.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:41 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangbang View Post
fwiw,

you may want to consider what press is more versatile caliber wise and go from there.

Since you already have press, it would suck to go out and buy one sometime in the future if you change your mind.

I bought a used Dillon SDB from a friend that thought he didnt need it anymore.

i like my lee Pro 1000s since i can swap turrets easily. but i still have 4 of them so that i can keep different presses setup for rifle or pistol.

eventually i will sell my presses off, but for now i need to do some reloading.
My selling them has nothing to do with the lack of interest, but the need off the cash to keep my electric and gas on, and try my best to pay for my internet to keep up with everyone here.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:53 AM
Linejudgemick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurling View Post
Normally coupled with ammo shortages are the inevitable shortages of powder. I used to reload 12 gauge and there's some overlap with pistol powders so I experienced the lack of powder availability in a couple of the past freak outs and self-inflicted shortages.
I like to reload my 12 gauge shells with Unique which is also a common pistol powder. During the last shortage I couldn't find it and it has been hard to find since - and now!!! So, I agree, you better check the availability of powder, primers and the like before you invest a ton into reloading 9mm and 380acp. Then if the current shortages subside it might be a consideration even if inexpensive and available range ammo supplies return.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:33 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
1 lb of W231 and Berry's 124 gr bullets will get me 1,600 rounds of 9mm. I load on a Lee single stage and not going for mass production numbers. I will load 100 to 200 rounds a session may be 2 hours or so. I enjoy the process.

Mals
Old 07-08-2020, 09:51 PM
tfrank
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Been reloading since...

Been reloading since 1968. Started with a .22-250 and a .243 and have been adding calibers ever since, but not too many. I have been using an old Lyman "Comet" single stage press since 1968. A bit slow but reliable. Rifle rounds usually have the powder charges weighted individually and down to 1/10 of a grain. Pistol rounds I do in blocks of 50 and every case is visually inspected for the correct powder volume. Pistol ammo I reload for are .380, .38 Special, .40 S&W, .44 magnum and .45 ACP, and all I do is adjust the powder measure to throw the charge weight I want and the charges are weighed and just dumped back into the powder hopper until it throws the charge weight that I want. After the powder measure is throwing the charge weight that I want I will charge a 50 round reloading block and every case is inspected. EVERY case. Looking for a missed charge or a double charge. Nice thing about these calibers is a double charge will overflow the case so it would be very obvious as would a missed charge. And yes I have deliberately double charged every one of these calibers so I could see what a double charge looks like. And in every case the double charge resulted in an overflowing case. I also pick 10 cases to weigh the powder charge from the 50 that I just charged. Quality control and all that stuff, you know!!!
No one has mentioned this but it is VERY IMPORTANT to have ONLY ONE powder out at a time. Powders have different burn rates and if you mistakenly put a fast burning powder like Unique in a magnum rifle case, well hopefully no one will have been injured or worse, but you will most likely have destroyed your rifle. A friend of mine mistakenly dumped some fast burning pistol powder back into the wrong container. When he fired his rifle the pressure was such that the bolt could not be opened... even with a bit of brute force. Had to unscrew the barrel to get the bolt out. The barrel and receiver checked out ok but my friend decided it was prudent to replace the bolt. And that is why I only have ONE powder, one type of primer, or one type of bullet out when I am reloading.
Depriming and resizing is tedious but this is where I inspect my cases and these operations do not require near as much attention to detail as the priming, powder charging and seating/crimping of the bullet does.
Steps I generally follow...
1. All reloadable brass is put back into its container or it is thrown in one pile, I separate it when I get home.
2. Separate calibers prior to depriming.
3. Deprime the brass, change the reloading die and bell the brass.
4. Polish the brass, sift out the polishing media and admire/inspect the brass. It will either go in a zip lock baggie (or a reloading container) with info regarding where this brass is in the reloading process.
5. Prime the brass. I usually do this by itself as a separate operation.
6. Charge the brass with the type and amount of powder, then seat/crimp the bullet as appropriate.
7. One last inspection before it goes into its container. And affix a label to whatever type of packing you prefer with the detail of the load data for that batch of ammo.
Now if you ask 10 different folks what their procedure is for reloading you are going to get 10 different answers, at least, and it is possible that no one is wrong!!! Some procedures may be faster, some may be safer, the reloading equipment may require a specific sequence of steps and so on, but the one thing that I never want to compromise on is safety.
First order of business is get a good reloading manual. Actually 2 or 3 is not a bad idea, then read and understand the reloading process. I've been reloading for over 50 years and so far, knock on wood, I have never had a problem. I have had some FLAT primers, on 2 or 3 occasions the bolt handle took more force than usual to open the bolt but no brute force was required. I have had to use my inertia bullet puller to pull some rounds apart because... well that tight bolt handle is a perfect example of why you might want to pull your bullets apart. Excessively flat primers would also have me pulling my reloads apart for inspection.
Equipment...
1. A reloading manual.
2. A reloading press, and there are quite a few choices, both new and used.
3. A powder scale.
4. Reloading dies for your caliber.
I would consider the 4 items above as an absolute minimum to get started. Other items you may choose to purchase at a later date
A. A powder trickler. I only use my powder trickler when I am reloading rifle as I want that 1/10 of a grain powder accuracy, but that is my personal preference.
B. An inertia bullet puller of some sort.
C. A second or third reloading manual.
D. The misc tools for case prep. Primer picket cleaners, chamfering tools for the case mouth and possibly for primer mouth, a good dial indicator capable of .001' accuracy for measuring case length, and Maximum Overall Length of the finished cartridge.
E. Case trimming tools. There are several different brands to choose from.
And I am sure that I have missed some stuff but other folks will chime in to give a better picture.
It is a fun hobby and quite safe if reasonable care is exercised. And it will also you a good bit of money also!!!
So are you thinking of casting your own bullets.... Oh never mind, that is a different subject!!!
God Bless, Frank.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:42 AM
56S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been reloading for nearly 40 years now. With the exception of 44 Mag all have been rifle calibers. So far no Oh Crap moments although when throwing charges for my Son's annual Christmas present we did catch a potential problem. He shoots the heck out of his AR so all the less than the best brass get loaded up for him. My wife likes to help so we get two single stage presses set up and load away. She forgot to monitor the powder level in the RCBS thrower and ran out. The extra step of looking down each case mouth while in the tray caught the error. This is one reason I like to pick a powder that fills the case to the bottom of the neck.
When I load for myself each charge is thrown light then trickled to the proper weight. After the powder is funneled into the case the bullet is seated. One round at a time.
I too find it very relaxing and it's helps pass the winter away.

Back on topic. All components that I didn't have are headed this way. While I wait I'll be studying. It's been years since I loaded a pistol round. I'm fortunate enough to have a place to shoot right at home so I can set up the chronograph and test away.

A word of caution for those shooting steel at home. A 45ACP jacket made it 180' perpendicular to the original bullet path and landed on my porch step. I've found a few pieces of copper jacket in my pool which is about 130' away. Yikes!

Last edited by 56S; 07-09-2020 at 05:44 AM.