Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Why

10K views 68 replies 48 participants last post by  Nick7274 
#1 ·
Why does Ruger continue to produce 10-22 rifles with such POS trigger. Why do they think we enjoy swapping it out and forking over more over our money to fix something they make wrong. :mad:

#36 ·
I like my 10/22. I may could have bought a Bergara for what I paid for the Lipseys French Walnut sporter at my LGS. I was $500 out the door. I bought it because I thought the stock and easy mods were worth it. It shoots 1/2"-5/8" with mini-mags at 50 yards consistently and the only thing I have done to it is put a BX trigger in it.

That said, I won't buy a Walmart grade $200 10/22... I'd just buy a receiver and build before I did that.

#38 ·
I think the more interesting/important/germane question is: Why do people ever buy a 10-22 in the first place? IMO, I consider them a lousy choice as a rimfire rifle for either a kid or an adult. They encourage the 'spray and pray' shooting technique and if you value accuracy first and foremost, then one ends up paying a crazy amount of money to get them to shoot as accurately as most $400 bolt actions.

#44 · (Edited)
+1 on the Marlin 60.

I have two 10/22s, nicely modded, and am quite happy with the accuracy of both. But if someone wanted a good utilitarian 22 to just shoot right out of the box with no modding, or only mod the trigger, I think the Marlin 60 is the very best bang-for-buck. The accuracy is good enough, similar to an unmodded 10/22 sporter barrel, and the tube magazine means forgetting about buying or losing mags. Tech Sights are available for both guns, for those who want to go with long-radius peeps.

#40 ·
Marlin model 60 on the whole, some say Savage Model 64 but I've no experience with it, the 10/22 is much more Mod friendly and can be turned into a better rifle than the other two but out of the box they're better in my experience.

#41 ·
While both those models out of the box seem pretty comparable to an OEM 10/22 I can't see anything that really stands out that would make them better other than just a matter of preference. I guess my point is that for the little bit of $ that they charge for these rifles people shouldn't be expecting top of the line, or even middle of the line quality. As I mentioned before 95% of the 10/22 owners out there who aren't members here are more than happy with their OEM 10/22's (bad trigger and all). When Ruger has had such success with the 10/22 I really don't see where there incentive would be on using a better trigger. For most of us that do mod our 10/22's it wouldn't make much difference even if they did install the BX in all their 10/22's. We would still buy Kidd triggers or send them to places like Brimstone and CPC.

#45 · (Edited)
Why does Ruger charge more for a 10/22 than Marlin does for their more accurarate and reliable Model 60??? Simple answer... BECAUSE THEY CAN. People are willing to spend more for the Ruger because they are popular, cool and are easily modified.

Yes. To get a 10/22 run run with a Marlin 60, you'll spend twice what the 60 costs. That being said, logic isn't what drives sales. If it were, everyone would be driving a 4 cyl Toyota Camry... and I wouldn't have a half dozen 10/22's in my safe. lol

The tube mag on the Marlin is very nice. No bashing your fingers stuffing rounds in the Ruger mag... just peacefully dropping them in place. More fit in at a time to boot! But, detachable mags seems to be more 'cool' for some reason. But, if you want that... The Marlin 795 is basically a 60 with a box mag. Oh yea, if memory serves, I believe the bolt also locks back after the last round on the Marlin.

But, purchases of toys are rarely 'logic' driven. :)

#47 ·
I hear ya! My wife and daughter both drive 2005 and 2007 4 cyl Honda Accords. I drive 'beaters' as daily rides. Currently, I'm sporting my wife's old Kia Rio! It's an economy car in every sense of the word! lol That being said, it's in the interest of having more money to spend on toys and hobbies. It's amazing how much people waste on new cars, when a cheap econobox that rolls on $40 tires and sips regular fuel costs pennies on the dollar in car payments, insurance and maintenance!

My money gets saved for dirt bikes, guns and this mustang... which was my first car (as a $1,300 beater) back in 1983. :) It's still a street car, but is a little faster than it use to be back then! Nitrous, 4-speed, slicks... 9.87 @ 136 Best of all, my 14 year old loves to dig in and help! New 363 about to replace the old 306, so we'll see what that is worth. ;)

A man has to have his toys!!!

#50 ·
Why does Ruger continue to produce 10-22 rifles with such POS trigger. Why do they think we enjoy swapping it out and forking over more over our money to fix something they make wrong.
Hey, what do you want for $200 bucks?
Exactly....... Like I said I've bought guns that cost several times the amount of a standard 10/22 that had worse triggers OTB. As far as the Marlin being better I do believe that is just a matter of preference. I think the 10/22 magazine is one of its strengths not weaknesses.

#51 ·
First and foremost... Ruger is a BUSINESS!

No sales... no repeat sales... no accessory sales... no part sales... they will soon be in “the red” & go out of business (like H-D m/c manufacturing is headed).

Whether they sell T-shirts, stickers, posters & signs, handgun or rifle magazines, or firearms themselves Ruger has to have a vision on the future and manufacture their products for customers who will buy them.

So the BX trigger targets discriminating rifle shooters while the vast majority of 10/22 carbine owners don’t mind a 10 pound trigger nor do they know what a great “target trigger” even feels like.

If the BX trigger was not a profitable product it would quickly be in the same trash dumpster as 8-track tapes! 😳

#53 ·
So, what is so bad about the stock trigger assy?? How is the performance of the stock trigger assy different from other 22's in the same market??

My current 10/22 is at least 45 years old, if not 50 and I have shot enough bricks through it to build a good sized shed. No maintenance other than infrequent cleanings . . . Never gave a single thought about the operation of my rifle as being a POS. However, I am only a typical weekend plinker and have found very little interest at shooting for any sort of accuracy.

I did just a couple of weeks ago install the BX trigger in my full rebuild project and it is indeed a decided improvement to the stock trigger assembly. I will probably rebuild my stock trigger assy with improved parts and lighter pull and swap it into my Charger.

I guess I just always assumed that upgrades were my responsibility.

#56 ·
I don't get why people don't seem to understand this concept. A Kidd single stage trigger unit cost almost $100 more than a whole 10/22 rifle. Even if you just wanted to send your OEM trigger to Brimstone for a tier 2 your looking at almost $100 w/shipping both ways. That's more than half the price of the OEM rifle. For those people that just want something a little bit better I don't think $50 is asking too much for a BX trigger given that it's a full trigger group and you can sell your old trigger group pretty easily for around $35. That's $15 for the BX trigger that some think should be included in every OEM 10/22.

#64 ·
standard trigger is fine, but since a trigger upgrade is easily accomplished on the standard assembly there is no reason to buy a BX assembly aside from convenience IMO...

besides, while i really like the 10/22 family of rifles and pistols, i know the products are not prescision shooters but plinkers (although you can get a lot of reasonable accuracy out of them with a little tweaking and practice)

for me the 10/22 is a great little hobby gun, cheap to acquire, cheap to tinker with, and cheap to shoot - a real bargain nowadays

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

#68 ·
IF Ruger made the 10/22 the way members on this forum would like them to be it would cost at least $400.00 bucks.

MOST people WANT a $199.00 rifle and that is what Ruger provides.

IF Ruger spent 20 minutes smoothing out every trigger the price would go up at least $40.00.

Ruger provides what the public will pay for.:)

At least parts are available for those of us that wish to play around!!

Enjoy..............

#69 ·
IF Ruger made the 10/22 the way members on this forum would like them to be it would cost at least $400.00 bucks.
It just so happens that Ruger does make this rifle you speak of. It's called the 10/22 Performance Center. While it has a lot of the upgrades that people may want for the 10/22 IMO it still doesn't do anything for those of us that want full blown customs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.