Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Receiver Drilling Jig - Brownell's

135K views 588 replies 181 participants last post by  IrishLad01 
#1 ·
Okay ladies and gentlemen:

I was so moved by the premise of this pay it forward, that I wanted to do something a little different.

I want to add something perpetual - "living" if you will. As soon as someone chimes in that they want it, I will purchase and donate the Brownell's Receiver Drilling Jig.
Accurately Locates The Barrel Cleaning Hole On 10/22 Receivers - Permits barrel cleaning from the rear without removing the barrel; eliminates accuracy-destroying cleaning rod wear caused by cleaning from the muzzle. Locates the correct spot at the rear of 10/22 receivers for drilling a small hole to allow the cleaning rod to pass through. (Picture and ad copy from Brownell's)

I will pay for the part and for the initial round of shipping, with the following provisos:
1) That each person agrees to keep it only long enough to accomplish the task at hand - I would think a week to ten days should be sufficient.
2) That each user, immediately upon completing the drilling of their own receiver(s), put it back on Pay It Forward and pay for the shipping to the next recipient.
3) That the first user start a thread and all subsequent users post, maybe even with photos and comments to allow all to see just how far this thing might go.

I personally think this will be a really neat journey around the membership with an item that can be very helpful to those of us who do not have access to some of the high-tech tools that many here do.

There it is - Speak up......

John

See less See more
#567 ·
I hope all is well with John but it seems like this great service is going by the wayside. I was fortunate to get a jig on two different occasions. The first time I had my young son do the work and it started him on a tinkering / gunsmithing / knife making track that has brought him great joy!

Hard to ask for more for only the cost of postage to forward the kit to the next guy!

Anyway … if and when you see this John, thanks for the incredible run managing a really great service. You are appreciated and I hope you and yours are well!

#581 ·
How about an 80% jig?

I'd love to find a loaner (buy/sell it for "a dollar and other financial considerations")

Looking at an 80% 10/22 is intriguing build but after having to buy a jig too, it just doesn't make financial sense. Heck, I can buy a whole rifle from Ruger for as little as $3XX.00 (three hundred something):confused:

#584 ·
I doubt it. The originator, jcrowleyiv spent quite a bit of money and time on this, but it died out a few years ago. John Crowley started by buying 2 jigs and sending them out into the RFC world. Over the following few years, those original two plus at least half a dozen replacement jigs that John provided travelled the lower 48 and drilled countless receivers. Unfortunately, all of the original jigs disappeared, people received them & failed to send them on. AFAIK, nobody but John bought replacement jigs & he eventually surrendered to the disappointment of dishonest people who either dropped off of RFC without forwarding the units or outright kept them.

John did an awesome thing here, he deserves our thanks.

DrGunner

#585 · (Edited)
Does anybody have a CAD model for the jig? It seems easy enough to 3D print. You would not even need a drill bushing unless you have a couple receivers.
Heck, I could do the modeling if someone has dimensions handy. Next time I have a 10/22 apart I might get the calipers out

Here is a less expensive alternative

Another idea is use a suppressor alignment check rod pushed to the back of the receiver & locate the barrel axis w/ a magnet

#589 ·
Does anybody have a CAD model for the jig? It seems easy enough to 3D print. You would not even need a drill bushing unless you have a couple receivers.
Heck, I could do the modeling if someone has dimensions handy. Next time I have a 10/22 apart I might get the calipers out

Here is a less expensive alternative

Another idea is use a suppressor alignment check rod pushed to the back of the receiver & locate the barrel axis w/ a magnet
I have the Gunsmither one. It works great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.