Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

More, less, or the same? How often do you go shooting?

3K views 47 replies 41 participants last post by  timberbeast 
#1 ·
America needs more of us making more trips to the range (but that’s a post for another day)!

Anyway, are you shooting more, less, or the same? I’m actually making it to the range more times, but shooting less ammunition. Instead of 150-200 rounds of factory 9mm every time, it’s 50, or maybe 70-100 rounds of reloads one trip, and then 60 or 70 rounds of slow fire 22 the next trip.

Hoping that I have more than enough components (another 5000 primers would buy me another year) and plinking 22 to make it to better days.

#2 ·
I've definitely shot far less this year than any other. Even though I belong to a private club where I shoot the state had originally told us we had to close our range. That never actually happened, because they couldn't legally make us, but it definitely slowed shooting down. I still shoot the same amount of rounds on average when I do get out though.

#3 ·
I have not been to the range since the beginning of this current foolishness of the virus scare. First the range was completely closed, thanks to the knee jerk reaction of my wonderful governor [emoji1782][emoji90]Then the twit allows the range to open but with restrictions. Masks and temperature checks and plenty of hand sanitizer. Each shooting bench has to be sanitized after each use. Plastic covers on each shooting bench and separations between benches. So, no shooting for an unknown amount of time for me. [emoji34]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Almost the same.
I’ve been down with severe osteoarthritis in my left knee. My state shut down nonessential travel for some time, been back to “normal” for a while now. I made up for lost time over the last several trips to my favorite outdoor range/club. I pretty much shoot 250-350 centerfire rounds each trip. Lately, I’ve been supplementing that with 200 rd or so, 22 lr.
A few years ago, I shot in several different competitive disciplines. About 12k-15k rd a year. So I acquired a bunch of reloading supplies while doing so, to keep “in the game”. I’m set pretty well with all the stuff I need to keep shooting for years to come. For me, it’s all about mobility now...:gun4:

#7 ·
You shoulda made this thread a "POLL",, I wonder if you can go back and edit it to a poll?

Anyways, My shooting is WAY up this year,,some rimfire, but mostly centerfire pistol.

I do not go to a range, I step out the back door,,

My wife even refinished my shooting bench, I had pressure washed the bench.

I just received 1,500 once fired pistol brass.
I have had the bullets, powder, and primer for several years.
The Dillon 550B is set up,, and ready to go.

So, 45ACP, 9MM, and 357 MAG are gonna be used a LOT around here, between now and the end of the year.

I find the shooting takes my mind off the stuff the news likes to talk about!! :D

#12 ·
Shooting Schedule

The COVID-19 certainly slowed things down for me, but am working at getting my schedule back on track. Here is the current schedule which I have on my calendar . . . but once in a while, I miss a session due to some conflict in schedule.

Planning to add to the schedule - once a week 2-3 rounds of skeet at a local (in town) range beginning mid-September to dust off and sharpen up shotgun skills for upcoming upland game season. I need to shoot up some of that target ammo (12, 20, & 28) that has been setting in the ammo locker for way to long.

Once a week - scheduled at the local indoor range - a 2.5 hour session. Shooting a couple rimfire rifles (bench & off-hand) @ 50 yards, rimfire pistols @ 25 yards, and finishing up with some CCW practice.

Scheduled time once a month (usually a 4-hour session) at the outdoor range an hour away - shooting centerfires 100-600 yards along with some work at a pistol bay with centerfire pistols.

The challenge is adhering to the schedule along with cooperating weather conditions. :) :D :bthumb:

#14 ·
Slowed my roll on 9mm and 223, I'd stopped reloading those calibers in the last few years.

Upped my 17 hmr consumption as its available to replenish the stash, and have also upped my consumption of higher end 22lr as its replenish able.

Shoot 2 - 3 times a week now, same dollar value but less ammo shot each session. Last few weeks have been busy, at range as much as everyday helping people get in to the sport/hobby. Shooting slows for me this week, spent the last 4 days scouting for a hunt and as hunting season progresses it takes all the time from shooting.

#19 ·
No away matches from March but been getting down the range a couple of times a week. Retirement gives met the time and access to the range gives me the to do.

A new rifle gets the interest up too.

OTHER CLUB MEMBERS WOULDN'T BE DOING AS MUCH AND EXPECT IT TO BE THE CASE GENERALLY.

#22 ·
Maybe a little more shooting ths year. But i had a couple new rimfires and a new skeet gun to play with. Say 2 x a week. There were in my state, very necessary shut downs, that surely
Saved lives, but besides the private range i belong to, I have a farmer friend with 500 acres to safely shoot on. The ammo shotage didn't affect me

#25 ·
Like to go to the range and shoot paper once a week. Have a goal or something new to try or I'll skip the week. Shoot about 50 rounds with rifle and then 50 rounds with pistol to pace the ammo that I have on hand.

At home, I can plink with a Daisy 880 or Gamo Varmint. Do that two or three times a day for short periods which feels pretty good.

#27 ·
About the same for me but shooting a lot less 9mm so my stash lasts longer. I normally shot 150 rounds of 9mm but now I am shooting 25-50 rounds of 9mm each time out with pistols. I am still shooting .22LR at about the same rate...100-150 rounds each time out with pistol or rifle. I have also been working on my clay games with the shotgun. My club is still selling boxes of 12 gauge shells for $8 so no issues shooting trap, skeet or sporting clays.

#28 ·
About the same.

One day per week I shoot sporting clays and one day per week rifle or handgun. One day per month I shoot in a Cowboy Action match. That means 2 pistols, lever gun, & double barrel shotgun. Then it's a day of cleaning & days of reloading. Good thing I'm retired.

#29 ·
Our public range was closed for a while because of the very great health risk of Covid-19 (you know how public outdoor ranges spread the virus like wildfire on the West Coast). I was able to shoot centerfire on private land. While the range was closed. Now it is open again. I go there for centerfire rifle and pistol.

I can shoot rimfire anytime and very often behind my house. Shot a Green Monster this morning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.