Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Did I miss something with gun shows?

1K views 33 replies 27 participants last post by  CajunBass 
#1 ·
Went to a gun show today trying to find a Marlin 795 and other various items, and did I miss something about gun show pricing? EVERYTHING was outrageously overpriced. A used Marlin model 60 with a beat up stock was $179! An XD40 was $569. Prices were about 15-20% above what local gun stores, pawn shops, and large chains were asking for items NEW (I've done my share of driving around lately,). I mean I understand supporting the small American businessman but I must be missing something. I hate to turn my business to a big company like Gander Mountain but I can't justify paying more for a product used when I can get the same product new for less. Gun shows used to be the place for a deal. Oh, and I couldn't find a 795 either lotta AR's AK's, and shotguns. I'm miffed.

#4 ·
The internet has made gunshows somewhat obsolete. I like the SAR show in Phoenix that is held every December. If I go to any gunshow anymore, it is that one. I just don't like fighting the crowds, paying for entry, parking and then having to put up with the outrageous prices.

#7 ·
Haven't really made a good purchase at a gun show for nearly a year!

That was when I was walking by this big long table full of assorted rifles and this Marlin 99 in very very good condition kinda winked at me and said: HEY!! ...you wanna take me home? Do ya???

I think that was about $75 OTD. No complaints from me!! The dang thing will shoot the spots off playing cards! :D

To be honest, I haven't any idea if that was a good price for something made back in '59 or so, but I don't really care! They don't make 'em like that anymore, and it IS a good shooter!

Since that, I sure have noticed that most of the stuff for sale is grossly overpriced.... as mentioned above, used guns for the price of new! For some time now, my gun show purchases have been more "odds & ends" and not necessarily firearms.

:harry:

#8 ·
I agree! There is a gun show this weekend and I am not going to go. Don't get me wrong, I always enjoy surrounding myself with firearms and fellow enthusiasts', but the prices are nuts. Yes on occasion you can find a good deal or that difficult to find item but have not had much luck.

#9 ·
Gun shows in the Baltimore/Washington region have had their prices get just ridiculous. And, they have become dominated with the tactical rifle vendors. When you find a rimfire sporting rifle, they want prices so crazy you have to laugh in their face. Pennsylvania still has some decent shows, but I generally go to the shows to socialize and look at stuff in person. Getting a good deal has been hit or miss for me for the last couple of years. Honestly, I have better luck on deals and potential fixer uppers at my local pawn shops.

#10 ·
pawn shops

I live in the Dallas/ Fort Worth area and it was fun to take a Saturday and go pawn shopping, but now only 1 in 10 carry guns and the prices are a joke. The other day I went by one that I have bought guns for years and they change owners or managers and the guns are so over priced. They had a Remington 870 newer model for 450.00 bucks and a model 60 that was not old and it was going for 250 bucks. I wanted to tell them were to go with the prices but it was not worth the effort.

#14 ·
He said friday night after every one is set up the dealers all get to shop before the show opens so if there is any real good deals they are gone before the public even gets in
That has always been true with gun shows. Deals are relative. I seek a fair price. You do need to be able to recognize a deal or a fair price rather than being closed minded and thinking everything is over priced.

There often is a good deal or three at a gunshow. You just have to spend the time. There are two schools of thought; one is to be there when the doors open and the other is to go on Sunday and do your real shopping when dealers are seeing what is not likely to sell and maybe they want to deal a bit.

#17 ·
I made it out to the gunshow at the George Brown Convention Center in Houston today. Saw several Marlin 795's.

I picked up a 795 SS for $75.00. It needs a good cleaning. Is missing the front sight and rear sight blade and elevator. What appears to be a silver scope was at one time black and the previous owner took a wire brush to it.

Nothing really special, just another shooter.

http://http://i975.photobucket.com/...bucket.com/albums/ae236/toold128/DSCN0189.jpg

#18 ·
I have seen good deals at gunshows before. The problem is that the deals are few and far between and not as common as they used to be. The internet gives you a lot more opportunity for what you are looking for. The problem with the internet is that usually you will pay full price for something. Every once in a while a good deal comes along. Not too long ago, a fellow RFC member posted a notice that there was a Browning Medalist on gunbroker with a "Buy it Now" price of $600. I thought about it for 10 minutes before I pulled the trigger. The description just wasn't very good, but I figured that for $600 I couldn't go wrong. When I pulled the trigger on it, it had been listed for about 30 minutes. When it arrived, it appeared to be in about 99.5% condition. It is actually like new, and it may be new. There are good deals to be had in both places, but I'm using the internet much more than the gunshows.

#19 ·
Gun shows are a hit and miss situation. Still find deals. Great social event for me. Hate to hear people not attending. Enough people quit going and they will go away. WE DO NOT want them to go away! The anti gunners would love to ban gun shows. I go to support the hobby and because, while there is a lot of over priced merchandise, deals are still there if you are persistant. The hunt is part of the fun.

#20 ·
It's not always about the price

I almost always find something I need or want whenever I go to a Gun Show. I'll admit it is mostly a social thing for me and it's relatively inexpensive entertainment time to spend with friends. Yes, sometimes things are cheaper on the internet but at least at the Gun Show you get to touch it, feel it and look at it really close and sometimes that can make a difference on making a decision on a purchase.

If it is just a price thing then a Gun Show may not be the place to go however just setting and looking on the Internet is not as entertaining to ME as getting out and seeing what's out there. And as said earlier if we don't support these things they WILL go away and I don't think that is a good thing for our Sport or the Country. SO go to a Gun Show and support our Country, economy and Sport and have a good time, it's not that hard to have a good time at a Gun Show unless you're just an antisocial grump-butt….

There is a Gun Show here is Phoenix the weekend of July 10th & 11th and I can't wait to meet a few of my friends and have a great time weather I buy anything or not.

#21 ·
I generally go when a show comes into town. Sometimes the prices of powder and primers are well below what the few stores that carry those items here are charging. Some dealers will deal on prices and others I think don't care about selling and simply want to display their items since the asking prices are out of sight.

#22 ·
35 or more years ago, I was shopping for rifle at a gun store in Stockton, CA. The object of my attention was wearing a tag that was marked UP for a coming gun show. The owner of the shop said he has to mark things up above his ordinary prices to cover the cost of moving things to the show, attending the show, etc.

#23 ·
Couple of things here. I suspect people remember gun shows when there were a lot more FFL's. There used to be a lot of small dealers who operated out of their kitchen, had little overhead, and were willing/able to take a lower markup and still make a profit.

The second one is more an observation. I used to work a lot of boat/tackle shows. We never offered any real "deals." Why should we? You just PAID to get into the show. You WANT to buy something. It's a sellers market. We didn't raise prices, but we sure didn't cut them.

I enjoy gun shows. For eight bucks or so I can walk around all afternoon, look at guns, talk about guns, buy a hot dog and a Coke, and maybe, just maybe, buy something gun related. But I don't go looking for it.

#24 ·
rrand32118 said:
Did I miss something with gun shows?
Went to a gun show today trying to find a Marlin 795 and other various items, and did I miss something about gun show pricing? EVERYTHING was outrageously overpriced. A used Marlin model 60 with a beat up stock was $179! An XD40 was $569. Prices were about 15-20% above what local gun stores, pawn shops, and large chains were asking for items NEW (I've done my share of driving around lately,). I mean I understand supporting the small American businessman but I must be missing something. I hate to turn my business to a big company like Gander Mountain but I can't justify paying more for a product used when I can get the same product new for less. Gun shows used to be the place for a deal. Oh, and I couldn't find a 795 either lotta AR's AK's, and shotguns. I'm miffed.
I feel your pain.

The last gun show that I attended was the same way. I left there empty-handed. Waste of time. Unlike the reply above, I don't think that it was better than being at home, "sittin in living room." If I had been at home, I could have been shooting or working on a gun that I already have.

Worst of all, I had to pay to get in the door. It's like, "Come on in and look at all of the guns and stuff that we have here. Our's cost more than anybody else's, and, by the way, we're gonna make you pay - just to look." :rolleyes:

BTW, CajunBass, I can go to the local "mom and pop" gun shop, "look at guns, talk about guns," and drink coffee - - - all for FREE! For my "eight bucks" I can get another box of CCI MiniMags. :D

#34 ·
BTW, CajunBass, I can go to the local "mom and pop" gun shop, "look at guns, talk about guns," and drink coffee - - - all for FREE! For my "eight bucks" I can get another box of CCI MiniMags. :D
I do that too. :D Gun shows are just an opportunity to see DIFFERENT guns, and talk to different people about guns.

Since my wife likes to go to gun shows with me, I look at them as a "cheap date." ;) :bthumb:

#26 ·
Gun shows are really great places to window shop, and find an occaisonal non-mainstream item. Poplular firearms are rarely a bargin at gunshows.

I go to look, talk with folks, and keep my eyes open. As a rule, gun show prices are high, but the rule always has exceptions.

A guy on the CZ forum found 2 magazines for a BRNO 611 that regularly sell on GunBroker for $90-125 and he got them both for $20. He just happened to see them and know their value better than the magazine seller.

Carry ins are a good line, too, as drunken_monkey97 states. Walk in sellers usually will give you a better deal, as a dealer will only buy well under what the gun can be sold for -- which is understandable, he's in it to make money.

Gun shows are fun, I go never expecting to get a deal, I just look carefully, talk to everybody, and see what's what.

#27 ·
I rarely go to (big) shows looking for guns. I go to find old, unappreciated gun-related stuff (scopes, parts, sights, reloading stuff, etc.) that I couldn't find anywhere else, and I get most of it at prices that would have the majority of eBay entrepeneurs hopping mad!
I have never really been into " the latest and greatest" fad in guns, and in the last few years I have moved more and more to older guns and scopes, etc. that just have more appeal to me. I guess that comes with getting older and more nostalgic.
In my economically depressed area of the country and state, it's not hard to find/make decent deals. I like the smaller gunshows for gun trading, because the prices tend to be better and there aren't so many choices to confuse me :).
In short, I'm drawn to gunshows like a moth to a flame; I wish there were more around here, especially in the spring and summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.