Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:17 PM
Tg11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger or brownells

I just recently purchased a fedderson 16.25” barrel and can’t fully decide on the action I’m wanting to use.

Thinking on the Ruger oem or the brownells brn receiver most likely gonna pair it with the Ruger trigger system

This is more so a budget build except for the barrel and stock I put a little money in those

Any help would be appreciated
Old 01-27-2020, 08:15 PM
JDouglas

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
I would steer clear of the Brownells receivers. My first one had rough feeling dark grey finish and it wouldn’t work with a Kidd bolt. My replacement has smoother and darker finish and it works with a Kidd bolt after I modified the bolt a bit so it would’t hit the end of the charging handle assembly. The spot that catches the charging handle rod is weird on the BRN receiver and it puts the end of the rod a little further from the wall of the receiver causing the Kidd bolt to catch a little. I would use a Ruger receiver before the BRN.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:19 PM
Empe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I have no experience with the Brownells receiver but I do have my Feddersen 16.25 " fluted bull barrel mounted in a Ruger OEM receiver . Good fit ...no problems & great accuracy .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2020, 06:37 AM
Tg11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empe View Post
I have no experience with the Brownells receiver but I do have my Feddersen 16.25 " fluted bull barrel mounted in a Ruger OEM receiver . Good fit ...no problems & great accuracy .
That’s what I’ve decided to go with. Found me a deal on s&p
Old 01-28-2020, 04:48 PM
Tg11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Do you have the gunsmither block or did you thread your receiver and barrel??
Old 01-28-2020, 05:02 PM
Empe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
Do you have the gunsmither block or did you thread your receiver and barrel??
Neither ...I used the Ruger OEM block . The barrel was basically a slip fit . I used some anti seize paste and the barrel went in to place with a little twisting with out the use of a mallet . The stock Ruger block has held everything in place with no problems and with out the barrel droop I have read about others having.
I purchased my OEM receiver from S & P as well .It was sold & priced as blemished but I didn't really see anything wrong with it.
I have been very pleased with the level of accuracy as well as the reliability of my Feddersen barrel.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:11 PM
Empe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
You mentioned in your 1st post about using the Ruger trigger set up . Do yourself a favor and spend a little extra on a decent trigger that will help you get the most out of your Feddersen barrel. For about $100 you can get a Kidd drop in trigger kit that uses your OEM trigger housing. It takes less than 30 mins of your time & will yield an excellent trigger pull of around 2lbs. I don't think you'll realize the full accuracy potential of the barrel with out a decent trigger .
Old 01-28-2020, 05:22 PM
Tg11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
You mentioned in your 1st post about using the Ruger trigger set up . Do yourself a favor and spend a little extra on a decent trigger that will help you get the most out of your Feddersen barrel. For about $100 you can get a Kidd drop in trigger kit that uses your OEM trigger housing. It takes less than 30 mins of your time & will yield an excellent trigger pull of around 2lbs. I don't think you'll realize the full accuracy potential of the barrel with out a decent trigger .
I plan on getting a better trigger just not at this moment. I spent most of my budget on barrel and stock so not left with too much, but I plan on buying a better trigger system later on down the rd
Old 01-28-2020, 05:34 PM
Empe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Yes I am well versed with having to work with in a budget ! You are off to a good start with the barrel at least & working with the OEM trigger assembly will help you appreciate an upgrade when you reach that point. Mine started as a budget build as well . Hope you enjoy your new build .
Oh...and welcome to RFC by the way !
Old 01-28-2020, 05:45 PM
Tg11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Yes I am well versed with having to work with in a budget ! You are off to a good start with the barrel at least & working with the OEM trigger assembly will help you appreciate an upgrade when you reach that point. Mine started as a budget build as well . Hope you enjoy your new build .
Oh...and welcome to RFC by the way !
Thanks man!! I’m super excited we shall see how well it goes
Old 01-28-2020, 06:06 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
for a scratch built budget rifle you can't beat the BX trigger for $50..when they're in stock
Old 02-08-2020, 06:51 AM
Tg11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well finally got the build done

Ended up with these components

Magpul x-22 stock
Ruger oem complete receiver kit
Ruger trigger (will be getting trigger work done to it)
Topped off with a fedderson 16.25” fluted bull barrel
Got a Simmons 4x32 scope on its way which will be the final touches

60280995482__EFB958A8-2D82-4C79-B9ED-5040D4731194.JPG
Old 02-08-2020, 06:54 AM
Tg11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CDE81F22-9428-4BFF-B843-91D9207A8950_1581166403715.jpg (448.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-08-2020, 09:20 AM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some Ruger receivers have a bit of a cant: left or right.

You would not notice them but you would if you use a Titan stock, which has a very wide barrel channel, or a Tony Mele stock, which is a mighty close-tolerance furniture.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:30 PM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad you went with the factory receiver from S&P over the Brownells. I made the mistake of starting a $1,000+ project rifle with a Brownells takedown receiver. For what it's worth, Azimuth Technologies makes them for Brownells. AT receivers are $248, Brownells are under $100. For a reason. Yes, my experience is a sample of one, but it's rubbish. I've spent way too much time polishing the insides, trying to get a factory bolt (forget about my JWH Custom bolt) running smoothly in there.

Moral of the story is if you're buying an aftermarket receiver, don't get a Brownells.