ruger 96 close call - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:58 PM
StrikeHard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ruger 96 close call

Well I took my 96 lever Magnum22 out in 0 F today and after hitting a rabbit plinked at another target with no hit: discovered timely that the bullet had lodged into the barrel. Id been out hoping to hit a coyote earlier but realized that cold weather does affect: at least for me: what can happen. Thankfully I didn't try to ram another cartridge in it.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:43 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Good reminder to check and double check that you are safe to fire. And thanks for sharing that story! I don't think we hear stuff like that often enough.

Safe shooting! And good on ya!
Old 01-31-2020, 09:55 PM
davidpam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
STRIKEHARD.... Since I started hunting most on 7decades ago, the "Olderguys" always set their rimfires in th garage/breezeway nite b4, so the 22bbl wouldnt sweat, freeze, lock up, and I hv xperienced... a 24" bbl full of subzero frost n ice can stop a shot in its tracks. ... it happens in rimfires!! Even retiring in Tucson, th Mtns @ 10k ft have Canadian weather... the new "DryLubes", and graphite type sprays help a lot th nite b4!...Of course it only happens when the nicest pelts are encountered! Hah!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2021, 05:20 PM
rowseywile

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Per the thread title, my dad has a Ruger Model 96/44, chambered in 44 magnum that he recently purchased. However, with a full magazine (3 rounds in magazine, one in chamber), upon firing the recoil causes the magazine to drop..

Kodi nox

Last edited by rowseywile; 01-13-2021 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:37 PM
comfisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikeHard View Post
Well I took my 96 lever Magnum22 out in 0 F today and after hitting a rabbit plinked at another target with no hit: discovered timely that the bullet had lodged into the barrel. Id been out hoping to hit a coyote earlier but realized that cold weather does affect: at least for me: what can happen. Thankfully I didn't try to ram another cartridge in it.
What ammo?

Have for the last 4 years wintered in an area where 20 is a positively warm hunting day. Last week did 2x hunts and target days plus or minus a degree around 0. Lots of hunting down to the - teens, so far none of my ammo has stuck in the barrel. A week ago I did at least a hundred rounds from all 5x different rimfire cartridges, warmest day was 2. This week its in the 20s.... heat wave, positively balmy.

Squib rounds happen, and they are a bummer. Freeze thaw cycles can obviously effect this but my guess is it was an ammo defect much more than a temp issue.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:26 AM
OldSwede

TPC Rating: 
100% (100)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpam View Post
STRIKEHARD.... Since I started hunting most on 7decades ago, the "Olderguys" always set their rimfires in th garage/breezeway nite b4, so the 22bbl wouldnt sweat, freeze, lock up, and I hv xperienced... a 24" bbl full of subzero frost n ice can stop a shot in its tracks. ... it happens in rimfires!! Even retiring in Tucson, th Mtns @ 10k ft have Canadian weather... the new "DryLubes", and graphite type sprays help a lot th nite b4!...Of course it only happens when the nicest pelts are encountered! Hah!!
Great first post, guy. Welcome to RFC. Anyone as old as you (not that much more so than me) has got a wealth of knowledge to share. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2021, 06:30 PM
Kleiss1

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Why would the temperature cause the bullet to stick in the cold barrel? I grew up in northern Michigan and have never heard of anything like that.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:39 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Kleiss

I'm guessing condensation cycles kill the powder charge and turn it in to a squib.

The colder temperatures change ignition reactions but not that much, barrel dimensional changes won't be enough to cause the issue until temps below what human life can sustain.