Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:07 AM
kenv1950
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
North Carolina ??????

Please, absolutely no political replies !!! Just want to explain why I want to leave. My family has been in this dairy farm area of the Catskill mountains since circa 1797 , I also grew up on a farm. The town I live in has a population of 750 . Yes its in Upstate NY. I'm 250 mi. above NYC , I've never been to NYC and have no desire to. Because of the Watershed Act by NYC we lost 600 farms the first few yrs. NYC has bought all the land around me and I'll be arrested if I go out with my metal detector and 200yrds. below me is a civil war training camp. NYC lowered their crime rate by sending their bad people to these small towns and welfare is so easy to get. Now these small towns are riddled with drugs , sex offenders and Zombie looking people . At one time we had two LEO's now we have a full Sheriffs dept. plus Village police. So its time to make a plan, i'm thinking a couple yrs. , still taking care of my 94 yro. mother , she wants to pass here.

I can't live where its flat , don't like it , I feel safer in the mountains or foothills. Can't afford to buy another place without selling this place. At the moment I've got a bad case of cabin fever. I've outlived all my lifetime friends , lost the last one last week, so theres nothing left here for me.

I'm thinking western North Carolina ????

Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam
Old 03-05-2019, 09:11 AM
72coupe
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have no suggestions for you Ken but good luck.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:35 AM
Rhody
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It will be hard to find anywhere that doesn't have government encroachment at some level, however there are many places with less than others. There was a thread here not too long ago discussing the best places to live in the USA. I think Kentucky was pretty high on the list.

Like you, I don't like flat land. I've been here in New England my entire life. I really like the change if seasons, and I have to be near the ocean. As of now, I plan on staying here with maybe a winter place down south.

I think that as long as you stay away from the heavily populated areas (big towns, cities, etc.) most New England states would suit you. If you are tired of being cold in the winter, well, head south young man!

I have often thought of moving to either the Carolinas or Florida some day, but my roots are here. New England is and always will be home.

Good luck with wherever your journey takes you!

R
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2019, 10:20 AM
Alter Rostig

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Come on down!

Thereare a number of smaller towns in the mountains of NC which would probably appeal to you, depending on what your requirements are. Some are fairly close to Asheville, the largest city in the mountains, which may or may not appeal to you, but others are more distant. It would certainly be best to arrange some time to explore the area.
At one point my wife and I were going to move to the West Jefferson area to be closer to our nephew, but he has relocated closer to us due to employment change, so I guess we’ll stay in the area. We’ll likely still visit and daytrip in the mountains, though.
Jack
Old 03-05-2019, 10:28 AM
kenv1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Due to a severe case of LYME that got into my muscles I can't take the cold any longer
Old 03-05-2019, 10:33 AM
kenv1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Need a starting point to investigate . I don't mind neighbors but I rather not be able to see them, I like my seclusion and I don't like anything near an ocean, need to be at least 5+ miles from a town and 30-45 min. to a hospital . Maybe this summer we'll take a ride .

Last edited by kenv1950; 03-05-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:52 AM
MoMan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ken, I am also an EX-NYer. We decided on Western Kentucky, it's probably too flat for you, but the state itself is very 2A friendly. Kentucky also has a 2 term limit on our governor. We still get the 4 seasons, but the winters are mild compared to where we were between Lake Erie, and Lake Ontario. Our annual snow total probably averages less than 10" for the entire season.
My advice to you is to do exactly what you are doing; take a trip to where you are thinking about relocating to, drive around morning/noon/evening/night, and weekend to get a feel of the area. Make a plan, like you are, then follow it through.

Good luck in where ever you end up.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:59 AM
kenv1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks...… sure would like to sell my tractor with the 4ft. snow blower on it , I lost so much weight I can't compress the safety switch in the seat when its 10-15 below
Old 03-05-2019, 11:12 AM
Ferox34
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
As others have said....

….western NC or SC or North Georgia, the area around Clemson U. and Asheville.

GA does not tax Social Security benefits or the first $130.000.00 of annual retirement withdrawals....so essentially no state income tax. GA is very gun friendly, I can shoot my 22 in the backyard. I am in a small subdivision with a good natural backstop beyond my lot.

Check on health care access. We have a hospital in the town where we live, but I wouldn't take my dog there. Its nice and new and shiny....it "looks" good, but the level of service is poor. This becomes VERY important the older we get.

I moved here from Illinois in 1987, have NEVER regretted it. NEVER!!!

Ken/OP....don't wait until summer to come down, April would be ideal. Springtime in the south is spectacular....just think of Augusta National Golf Course during the Masters in April. Summers are hot here, but up at 1000 feet of elevation should be tolerable.

Last edited by Ferox34; 03-05-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:14 AM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
You might think about looking around West Virginia too Ken. Very Pro-2A, reasonable land prices, and relatively low cost of living.

Frank
Old 03-05-2019, 11:30 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Western NC is beautiful. Asheville is a large and growing city -- vibrant, trendy, big enough to have anything you want or need. A few miles outside the city you are in a completely different place -- small towns, very rural. Go west into the mountains or east into the foothills or further east into the Piedmont -- rolling hills and flatland. Go south into north GA and more of the same.... just don't get too close to Atlanta.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:07 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Rostig View Post
Thereare a number of smaller towns in the mountains of NC which would probably appeal to you, depending on what your requirements are. Some are fairly close to Asheville, the largest city in the mountains, which may or may not appeal to you, but others are more distant. It would certainly be best to arrange some time to explore the area.
At one point my wife and I were going to move to the West Jefferson area to be closer to our nephew, but he has relocated closer to us due to employment change, so I guess we’ll stay in the area. We’ll likely still visit and daytrip in the mountains, though.
Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox34 View Post
….western NC or SC or North Georgia, the area around Clemson U. and Asheville.

GA does not tax Social Security benefits or the first $130.000.00 of annual retirement withdrawals....so essentially no state income tax. GA is very gun friendly, I can shoot my 22 in the backyard. I am in a small subdivision with a good natural backstop beyond my lot.

Check on health care access. We have a hospital in the town where we live, but I wouldn't take my dog there. Its nice and new and shiny....it "looks" good, but the level of service is poor. This becomes VERY important the older we get.

I moved here from Illinois in 1987, have NEVER regretted it. NEVER!!!

Ken/OP....don't wait until summer to come down, April would be ideal. Springtime in the south is spectacular....just think of Augusta National Golf Course during the Masters in April. Summers are hot here, but up at 1000 feet of elevation should be tolerable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Western NC is beautiful. Asheville is a large and growing city -- vibrant, trendy, big enough to have anything you want or need. A few miles outside the city you are in a completely different place -- small towns, very rural. Go west into the mountains or east into the foothills or further east into the Piedmont -- rolling hills and flatland. Go south into north GA and more of the same.... just don't get too close to Atlanta.

These three have pretty much nailed it, I'm prejudiced for NC because I'm a Native but have Family in NW Georgia and its nice and maybe a bit warmer without being ridiculous about it.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:12 PM
kenv1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Your all getting me anxious …..
Old 03-05-2019, 01:07 PM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
I've lived in NC since 1987. Have watched the population grow from 6M to 10M. Lot of folks from NJ and NY here. I live in Durham, near where my wife and I work. The thing about Western NC, and NC in general, is that like other places I suppose, partisanship is increasing. Big time.

We are also considering buying a home in the mountains when we retire, just a handful of years from now.

PM me if you have any specific questions.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:19 PM
scottycoyote

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
i live in southwest va, very similar to western nc...its beautiful there (and here). You got places like boone, blowing rock to the north, asheville a little farther south and then you get down into cherokee.

I know what you mean about flatlands....any time i goto the beach it takes me ashile to acclimate

Asheville is a growing city, has some hippy tendencies but a lot of trendy places in a mountain atmosphere.

also you have the southern end of the rocky mountains terminating in north carolina, so lots of little mountain towns around there and just a short ride into tenn for gatlinburg and pigeon forge.

worst thing about western nc is youre just so far from any coast, its going to be an 8 to 10 hour drive to stick your toes in the sand