Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:46 PM
bangbang
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

do what you can when you can and hope for the best.

just hope you can live out your life as you want before the same ol stuff happens again.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:52 PM
kenv1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangbang View Post
do what you can when you can and hope for the best.

just hope you can live out your life as you want before the same ol stuff happens again.
Thats the only thing I want
Old 03-06-2019, 06:29 PM

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I know what your talking about Ken. I've been on the road since "82" all through the country side and small towns from Canada to PA in the central area N/S of Syracuse. The change is terrible. Sorry you have to leave your family's area but I get it. Best of luck.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:37 PM
Ferox34
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Georgia taxes

I mentioned GA income tax in my previous post.

Property taxes in GA are pretty good too. I bought this "new", built in 2007, 1650 sq ft ranch house/3 car garage in 2012 at the "bottom" of the market, as a foreclosure, for $90k. My property taxes are about $450/year. Seniors are exempt from school taxes. Sales tax is 7%. Auto tags are $20/year.

I don't know about NC or SC tax wise, but have heard rural Alabama is even cheaper than GA. Stay away from the big cities, but close enough for that emergency hospital trip.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:33 AM
kenv1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox34 View Post
I mentioned GA income tax in my previous post.

Property taxes in GA are pretty good too. I bought this "new", built in 2007, 1650 sq ft ranch house/3 car garage in 2012 at the "bottom" of the market, as a foreclosure, for $90k. My property taxes are about $450/year. Seniors are exempt from school taxes. Sales tax is 7%. Auto tags are $20/year.

I don't know about NC or SC tax wise, but have heard rural Alabama is even cheaper than GA. Stay away from the big cities, but close enough for that emergency hospital trip.
Anymore its getting real hard to find a place in the boonies that has healthcare .
NYC has destroyed my area with transplants bringing their city ways and complain about the way we live in the country and try to change it
I don't want to be considered one of those people where ever I end up
Old 03-07-2019, 08:34 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think West Virginia has potential given the OP requirement.

You may not the get warm reception you expect moving into any rural area. You are from NY, talk funny and are different. So; move into the boonies with that expectation and you wont be sorry. There may not be much law enforcement in some of these out back areas, but; you better be prepared to handle problems.

It goes a long way to blend in with normal size house and vehicles that look like what other folks drive. People take there big money from northern property and build a new home down south. That house being a little better than.

Last edited by fourbore; 03-07-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:58 AM
kenv1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
I think West Virginia has potential given the OP requirement.

You may not the get warm reception you expect moving into any rural area. You are from NY, talk funny and are different. So; move into the boonies with that expectation and you wont be sorry. There may not be much law enforcement in some of these out back areas, but; you better be prepared to handle problems.

It goes a long way to blend in with normal size house and vehicles that look like what other folks drive. People take there big money from northern property and build a new home down south. That house being a little better than.
Some just don't get it. Upstate is country people, never been to a city. Vehicles, nothing fancy here. 10yro. Grand Cherokee and a my wifes 2016 Cherokee.
This is my Dad, does he look like he would fit in ?

GGrand dad

grand dad

me
their all dead but me, but this is where I come from.
https://youtu.be/3cQNkIrg-Tk
I don't have a lot but what I have I take care of. 5acres on top of a mountain (back yard)

Last edited by kenv1950; 03-07-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:40 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know exactly where you are coming from. But; there is a certain attitude down south. jeep cherokee is fine. Great photos. I wish I had all neighbors like you,

I visited W Virginia and meet a few real characters. Mostly just normal people. But a few. I got along great, then like yourself, I am not cut from city cloth. I love the country side. And they got hills.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:46 AM
kenv1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
I know exactly where you are coming from. But; there is a certain attitude down south. jeep cherokee is fine. Great photos. I wish I had all neighbors like you,

I visited W Virginia and meet a few real characters. Mostly just normal people. But a few. I got along great, then like yourself, I am not cut from city cloth. I love the country side. And they got hills.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:10 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Catskills are great. I used to fly fish in Roscoe and the Willy. Havenít been in years. Nothing like the Adirondacks though.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:36 PM
DoneDeere

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Me too

KenV, I grew up near Syracuse and loved it. My company moved me out of state for 19 years then back to Syracuse. In the time I was away the area went into the toilet.
My wife and me stayed a few years till we had enough. I moved to Iowa 5 years ago and life is great here. We live on the bank of the Mississippi river so there is a lot of character to the land, like the foothills of the mountains of New York. Plus the state is very 2a friendly with climate like N Y but without all the snow.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:29 AM
kenv1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneDeere View Post
KenV, I grew up near Syracuse and loved it. My company moved me out of state for 19 years then back to Syracuse. In the time I was away the area went into the toilet.
My wife and me stayed a few years till we had enough. I moved to Iowa 5 years ago and life is great here. We live on the bank of the Mississippi river so there is a lot of character to the land, like the foothills of the mountains of New York. Plus the state is very 2a friendly with climate like N Y but without all the snow.
I'm open to all possibilities Was that a typo ? climate like new York, Right now its 6;30 am ---1* just went through -14*
Old 03-08-2019, 06:41 AM
kenv1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneDeere View Post
Binghamton is probably the biggest city near me, about 70mi..
Their news makes me laugh (I don't usually watch new except for the weather.
First segment is always what a great city and what great things their doing, next segment is, city is over run with heroin , bank robbery's,shootings.
That's the biggest city for NYC's dumping ground for undesirables. They bus them in.
I know some State Troopers that fear that city. It used to be a real nice place.
I know where ever I go there will be some drug problems , but their dropping like flies here and its from that heroin/fentanyl/meth.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:57 AM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
But; there is a certain attitude down south..

You mean how all the locals smile and greet you with a friendly word?
Old 03-08-2019, 09:13 AM
kenv1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWolf View Post
You mean how all the locals smile and greet you with a friendly word?
Thats the way it was here until NYC invaded us. Took a couple rides to sturgis and along the way I met a lot of people that assume all of NY is NYC..ain't so