Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-04-2020, 02:42 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Seriously? Afield With A FWB 65

I have always greatly admired the FWB 300S rifles, truly coveting them as a kid growing up only a few miles away from Beeman's in Northern California, but I could afford only a Sheridan 5mm Blue Streak, and even that consumed many months of paper route money. I probably killed 1000s of birds with that Sheridan, and, honestly, it was probably the better choice for my young needs. Still, the Madison Avenue hype in the Beeman’s catalogues would make any kid drool, and those images are still indelibly imprinted in my mind. I had also owned many hand airguns but could never shoot the springers very accurately; I did okay with the CO2 and pneumatic Crosman and Benjamins of the day, but they were no Feinwerkbau!!!

Recently, during the Christmas break, I spent a very good time with the grand kids shooting berries off a tree at about 50' using a recently acquired 300S Junior. Doing so rekindled my love of the FWB airguns and got me Jonesing for the miniature version of the 300S, the FWB 65 handgun. I had nearly purchased one years ago, but the electronic trigger turned me off (no pun) -- I guess it was actually an FWB 90. Then, seeing a very clean and recently re-sealed one in the TP here was almost too much to resist. The seller and I did the usual negotiation tango, and a like-new 65 was mine.

I initially had visions of mounting a 4X Leupold handgun scope and shooting it side-by-side with the grand kids’ 300S Jr., sniping the aforementioned red berries and hunting Necco Wafers and Teddy Bear Grams () hanging from strings and placed at random locations around the yard. Before it had arrived, I had hoped the flat top of the frame/receiver was dovetailed, but, alas, the many images of the 65 made it clear that the ones with scopes had been drilled and tapped, usually at Beeman’s. Well, I wasn’t going to do that…dang it! I thought I might just dovetail the top but did not. I also found this mount and almost bought it:
FWB-65R001.jpg

I toyed with just whipping up a similar but more aesthetically pleasing mount in the garage but decided against that too; the scope mounted on the barrel would just look too clunky. In desperate rationalization mode, I reasoned that, even with my extremely poor eyesight, and aided with the very precise FWB open sights, I might be able to get by without a scope within the 50’ or so effective range of the 65. (As an aside, I had also been carrying a rebarreled M63 on my daily bike rides in the Oklahoma woods, but anything quiet enough to shoot there was not accurate enough, and, though legal to carry, discharging it was probably not.)

So, how would the precision, Olympic-grade 65 do when carried in a backpack and unlimbered in the field? It was certainly quiet enough, and the truly match-grade trigger and recoilless design would certainly make it shootable at small targets. But, would the 7 gr. pellet at 450 to 500 FPS have sufficient zip in the field? I had fired the 65 indoors into a pellet trap, and it seemed to have not quite the zip of the 300S, but it sounded close. I had a canvas backpack just large enough and innocent-looking enough, so I ventured afield for the first time with the FWB 65.

I had ridden my usual 45 minutes and ended the ride at a small pond containing an inordinate number of turtles. Taking aim at a floating twig about 50 feet away, the pellet hit its mark, and the twig jumped out of the water…Feinwerkbau shivers started running up and down my spine. Even floating debris out to about 75’ was easy prey. Much past that, though, and the drop was very pronounced, making hits beyond 75’ very dependent upon my ability to judge the range accurately:
FWB2.jpg
FWB1.jpg
FWB.jpg

So, I have what might be the perfect field plinker for my rides. It’s quiet, accurate, and perfectly legal where I ride. Though never designed for such use, I think my re-purposing of this Feinwerkbau 65 is highly effective.

What do you think?

TBR

Last edited by TEDDY BEAR RAT; 02-04-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:56 PM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I’ve got one too. Deadly on pine cones and grasshoppers
Old 02-04-2020, 03:20 PM
johnrr65

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
I have always greatly admired the FWB 300S rifles, truly coveting them as a kid growing up only a few miles away from Beeman's in Northern California, but I could afford only a Sheridan 5mm Blue Streak, and even that consumed many months of paper route money. I probably killed 1000s of birds with that Sheridan, and, honestly, it was probably the better choice for my young needs. Still, the Madison Avenue hype in the Beeman’s catalogues would make any kid drool, and those images are still indelibly imprinted in my mind. I had also owned many hand airguns but could never shoot the springers very accurately; I did okay with the CO2 and pneumatic Crosman and Benjamins of the day, but they were no Feinwerkbau!!!

Recently, during the Christmas break, I spent a very good time with the grand kids shooting berries off a tree at about 50' using a recently acquired 300S Junior. Doing so rekindled my love of the FWB airguns and got me Jonesing for the miniature version of the 300S, the FWB 65 handgun. I had nearly purchased one years ago, but the electronic trigger turned me off (no pun) -- I guess it was actually an FWB 90. Then, seeing a very clean and recently re-sealed one in the TP here was almost too much to resist. The seller and I did the usual negotiation tango, and a like-new 65 was mine.

I initially had visions of mounting a 4X Leupold handgun scope and shooting it side-by-side with the grand kids’ 300S Jr., sniping the aforementioned red berries and hunting Necco Wafers and Teddy Bear Grams () hanging from strings and placed at random locations around the yard. Before it had arrived, I had hoped the flat top of the frame/receiver was dovetailed, but, alas, the many images of the 65 made it clear that the ones with scopes had been drilled and tapped, usually at Beeman’s. Well, I wasn’t going to do that…dang it! I thought I might just dovetail the top but did not. I also found this mount and almost bought it:
Attachment 205391

I toyed with just whipping up a similar but more aesthetically pleasing mount in the garage but decided against that too; the scope mounted on the barrel would just look too clunky. In desperate rationalization mode, I reasoned that, even with my extremely poor eyesight, and aided with the very precise FWB open sights, I might be able to get by without a scope within the 50’ or so effective range of the 65. (As an aside, I had also been carrying a rebarreled M63 on my daily bike rides in the Oklahoma woods, but anything quiet enough to shoot there was not accurate enough, and, though legal to carry, discharging it was probably not.)

So, how would the precision, Olympic-grade 65 do when carried in a backpack and unlimbered in the field? It was certainly quiet enough, and the truly match-grade trigger and recoilless design would certainly make it shootable at small targets. But, would the 7 gr. pellet at 450 to 500 FPS have sufficient zip in the field? I had fired the 65 indoors into a pellet trap, and it seemed to have not quite the zip of the 300S, but it sounded close. I had a canvas backpack just large enough and innocent-looking enough, so I ventured afield for the first time with the FWB 65.

I had ridden my usual 45 minutes and ended the ride at a small pond containing an inordinate number of turtles. Taking aim at a floating twig about 50 feet away, the pellet hit its mark, and the twig jumped out of the water…Feinwerkbau shivers started running up and down my spine. Even floating debris out to about 75’ was easy prey. Much past that, though, and the drop was very pronounced, making hits beyond 75’ very dependent upon my ability to judge the range accurately:
Attachment 205393
Attachment 205395
Attachment 205397

So, I have what might be the perfect field plinker for my rides. It’s quiet, accurate, and perfectly legal where I ride. Though never designed for such use, I think my re-purposing of this Feinwerkbau 65 is highly effective.

What do you think?

TBR
+1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2020, 03:55 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Building a custom frame bag with magnet flap, fat bikes and hunting go hand in glove. Will try and post pics when done.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:22 PM
Rimfiregal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Love the fat bike! Up here in the north woods of Wisconsin, fat bikes keep us rolling through our long winters.

Would live to find any FWB, but they are a very rare AG in our area.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:54 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Oh Yeah!
Old 02-04-2020, 04:59 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Yes, I did the frame-mounted case approach years ago when I built my little bicycle rifle:

TBR
Old 02-04-2020, 06:46 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Took My Walther LP3 into the Field - Frequently

Decades ago, I used to own a Walther LP3.
As often as I could, I'd venture outdoors ... the LP3 in-hand.
I've no idea how many grasshoppers, locust, flies, snails and etc. were accounted-for
with this fine single-stroke pneumatic air pistol.

Many, many hours of fun plinking.
Seems to me an FWB65 would serve just as-well.

Walther LP-3 ... Prank ... Unfamiliar Shooter
Old 03-03-2020, 03:23 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
More Great Fun

After breaking my left leg (yes, I was riding a bike, but my normal hard ride was over, and I was doing lazy circles around the parking lot waiting for my wife to pick me up, when a car pulled out in front of me. I locked up the brakes and fell on my left leg, breaking my fibula), it had been awhile since I had ventured into the woods on a fat bike. I was still riding every day, even with a broken leg wearing "The Boot," but on a road bike. It has healed to the point I can do the MTB thing again, so I visited the pond last Saturday. I took an apple with me, threw it out about 20 yards, and proceeded to make chunks fly out of the visible top 1/3, probably shooting 150 pellets. I had a ball, and couldn't really stop. It was essentially silent, except for the sound of the pellet hitting the apple, but a curious MTB rider managed to sneak up on me before I could conceal my activity. He said nothing, but looked very intrigued:
AAAA apple.jpg

Good times

TBR
Old 03-03-2020, 07:00 PM
Rimfiregal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad to hear that you've healed up and are able to ride, again. It's the pits not being able to ride.