Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:49 PM
22c

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Grey Optics Ready Carbine

I just bought one of the new optics ready grey synthetic stocked 10/22, Can I open the barrell channel up to fit a WP 920 diameter barrell in it? If so what's the best way to do it. I would like to use the stock due to its light weight. Thanks
Old 12-07-2019, 11:47 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
WELCOME to RFC!

I have never tried on any of the plastic's... what I think you will run into is open/hollow spaces.. can you try it? Sure.. but it may go directly into the garbage can... shop around and find you a nice stock in the price range you can afford... the Hogue over-molds are approx. $75.. https://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Rubber-...5780385&sr=8-2

or find a Wood Carbine stock cheap and that for sure you can open up..

Now.. if you are a gambler and ya wanna be our RFC Guinea Pig and give it a go I say forge ahead.. 60 Grit Garnet Paper on a 7/8" wood dowel.. I use 100 gr. with wood but the wood is soft..1 wrap then secure it at the top with staples and lock your Tupperware stock in a padded vise and get after it.. good luck.. my guess is approx. 45 minutes of sanding... maybe more.

your arm will look like Popeye's when done... been there many times with WOOD and I think that plastic is gunna be tuff... IF ya get it to where you are dropping that 920 in with very little pressure/free float ya may wanna finish with 200 grit. My guess is there will be a skeleton in that channel.. which may not be a big deal.. some of the aftermarkets are just that way.

One word of caution/a thousand words or more actually... https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1177689

Last edited by Chaser; 12-08-2019 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Welcome added
Old 12-08-2019, 12:19 AM
22c

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Chaser, I have a GM 920 barrell in a Hogue stock, that is my target rifle, this new rifle is gonna be a steel challenge rifle so I am going lite if I screw it up I will probably go with a axiom stock. This forum has already cost me money, whistle pig barrell and trigger going to brimstone. I have a volquartsen scorpion so I am building a rifle to go with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2019, 09:09 AM
Hotdoginabiscuit

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22c View Post
if I screw it up I will probably go with a axiom stock.
Axiom is a great lightweight stock. I had one with a WP barrel. I loved it.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:36 AM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you do go ahead, please post your experiences as I am thinking of relieving the one I have to accept a heavy taper barrel, which would obviously require less work.

When I relieved the bottom cut out on mine so that I could insert and remove the barreled action without wrecking the trigger group, it took a moderate amount of work with a "illegitimate son" file to remove roughly .2" thickness of material, so I expect that relieving the entire barrel channel to .920" would be a job.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:51 PM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I just bought one of the new optics ready grey synthetic stocked 10/22, Can I open the barrell channel up to fit a WP 920 diameter barrell in it? If so what's the best way to do it. I would like to use the stock due to its light weight. Thanks
Rather than sand it, Buds Gun Shp has a Magnum Research Glacier plastic stock, identical to a Barracuda, for $38 + shipping----that is if you are right-handed, of course.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:55 PM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Glacier Ridge stock is actually ambidextrous and not for orthodox users only ..
Old 12-08-2019, 07:41 PM
22c

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks I will look at the glacier stock also, I am gonna try to open up the factory stock cause now it has become a challenge, my friend makes kydex holsters and is a wizard with a dremell tool and I will have him supervise. I will go ahead and order another stock just in case, if it works out I will have another stock to build rifle around😁
Old 12-08-2019, 10:15 PM
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
if you want to play around with the plastic Carbine stocks S&P has them pretty cheap at the moment...only $25 for any of the three colors they come in

...I'm thinking about picking up another for a 19" Green Mountain Heavy Taper

Last edited by crackedcornish; 12-08-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:48 PM
rascally

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
If you keep this stock, while you open the barrel channel you may also want to open the opening for the trigger group. Work through this thread...

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1177689
Old 12-09-2019, 10:03 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by rascally View Post
If you keep this stock, while you open the barrel channel you may also want to open the opening for the trigger group. Work through this thread...

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1177689
Uuuh.. ya that was the word of caution in post #2

Last edited by Chaser; 12-09-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:04 AM
22c

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I ordered the Axiom stock yesterday, so no pressure if I mess up the factory stock . I have not removed the action yet, after looking at it I am going to have issues removing it as posted in another post.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:10 AM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If the clearance in the stock for the safety appears tight, the first time you remove the barreled action, try insofar as possible to push it straight up out of the stock.

You may be able to accomplish this by pushing straight up on the trigger guard while simultaneously applying some pressure upward on the barrel just in front of the fore-end of the stock. That way even if the safety gets pinched on the way out, it may not get rotated.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:38 PM
22c

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
An update the action came right out no drama, such as safety turning. After doing some figuring and looking, I don't think the stock could be channeled out to accept the 920 barrell, to thin at the barrel end of the stock, and I did not want to cut the stock back. So in the Axiom stock with the WP barrel and I love it. I have not weighed it yet but it is light , sending off the b.x. trigger to brimstone and when it returns a build complete. Oh I didn't mention, I bought a tac sol x ring, now to plan the next build.Thanks for the guidance and suggestions.
Old 12-26-2019, 11:09 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
An update the action came right out no drama, such as safety turning. After doing some figuring and looking, I don't think the stock could be channeled out to accept the 920 barrell, to thin at the barrel end of the stock, and I did not want to cut the stock back. So in the Axiom stock with the WP barrel and I love it. I have not weighed it yet but it is light , sending off the b.x. trigger to brimstone and when it returns a build complete. Oh I didn't mention, I bought a tac sol x ring, now to plan the next build.Thanks for the guidance and suggestions.
The force is strong in this one