Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-05-2019, 04:58 AM
tomfrey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wont fire, don't know where to start

Greetings all !

I'm new here and have a 10/22 issue. I have an old (1970's) 10/22 that I took the receiver out of and built a rifle using Kidd parts some years ago, no issues with that gun. This year I bought the Brownells receiver and decided to put my old rifle back together using the Brownells receiver, I used my original bolt and trigger assembly, I did have an issue getting the bolt into the aftermarket receiver (read about others here that had the same issue, put the gun together,took it to the range today, pulled the trigger and got a click instead of a bang, did it twice, no firing pin mark on the rim, took the gun home, pulled apart another 10/22 to look at the firing pin (thinking that I broke mine) but all looks ok, I took the pin off of the bolt and it looks ok and moves freely when installed, I removed the barrel so that I could see the bolt face when I pulled the trigger and it all looked fine, i'm thinking just get a new firing pin to plat it safe, any thoughts ?

thx,

Tom
Old 12-05-2019, 10:56 AM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Head space?
Old 12-05-2019, 11:38 AM
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Head space?
if he had no issues when the rifle was put together before (the 70's rifle), why would it be headspace now

the only difference now is the Brownells receiver...which may be out of spec

use the process of elimination and start swapping parts around (start with KIDD bolt in Brownells receiver), and see if it makes any difference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2019, 12:12 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like the bolt is not closing all the way . First drop a round into the chamber to see if it goes all the way in. Then make sure the bolt is making contact with the end of the barrel when it is in the receiver.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:04 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Barrel fully seated?

Check inside the Rec. - top where the optic base screws MAY protrude and hinder the bolt.

Last edited by Chaser; 12-05-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:13 PM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree that it sounds as if the bolt is not fully going into battery, and since you reinstalled the barrel in the receiver, I would rule out a problem there.

In addition to making sure that it is fully seated, as has already been suggested, make certain that it is correctly indexed. If the extractor slot in the barrel is not precisely aligned, the extractor may hang up in the slot preventing the bolt from completely closing.

After a thorough visual exam, put the bolt in the inverted receiver without the recoil spring/charging handle assembly. Make sure that the bolt slides all the way forward smoothly to contact the barrel without any resistance.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:48 PM
tomfrey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep the barrel was fully seated, I agree with the only thing different is the new receiver (I'm not too happy with the fit and feel), I will check the extractor.
Thx for the help
Old 12-05-2019, 06:09 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfrey View Post
Yep the barrel was fully seated, I agree with the only thing different is the new receiver (I'm not too happy with the fit and feel), I will check the extractor.
Thx for the help
Yupp.. the extractor needs to be centered in the slot... I have seen Gents be off by 1/8" and doink.. breaks the extractor.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:39 PM
Flint_Fredrstone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Check this out. I remember having a bolt shotgun once, made by savage I think, only bolt shotgun I ever saw.. anyways I remember one time i removed the bolt,, fiddled with it... then put it back in and had a "no fire" issue along with no marks on case of shotshell.. not even a scratch..... I removed the bolt again, and i remember turning something like a collar or bolt face, or something.. but whatever it was it worked fine afterward... sry this isn't too much info... but I think you stated that you removed the bolt..... what happened was when the piece was rotated 180 degrees, it would throw the bolt way off center... might pertain to your ruger.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:44 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint_Fredrstone View Post
Check this out. I remember having a bolt shotgun once, made by savage I think, only bolt shotgun I ever saw.. anyways I remember one time i removed the bolt,, fiddled with it... then put it back in and had a "no fire" issue along with no marks on case of shotshell.. not even a scratch..... I removed the bolt again, and i remember turning something like a collar or bolt face, or something.. but whatever it was it worked fine afterward... sry this isn't too much info... but I think you stated that you removed the bolt..... what happened was when the piece was rotated 180 degrees, it would throw the bolt way off center... might pertain to your ruger.
Nope... not even possible.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:21 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Unfortunately a 10/22 is not a bolt action. So as Chaser says "not even possible". 🙂
Old 12-06-2019, 06:34 PM
tomfrey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all of the answers, I reassembled the barrel/receiver, since this Brownells receiver has a built in rail, protruding screws were not an issue. The barrel is indexed with the extractor indexed, the bolt moves freely without the charging handle, a round does fit into the chamber and it all looks good when I ease the bolt closed, I did order a new Kidd firing pin, it will be here soon. What I don't like is that the bolt does not operate smoothly with the charging handle installed, i'm thinking its the receiver. When I get into the mood I will put my old bolt in a different 10/22 to verify.
thx,
Tom
Old 12-07-2019, 09:16 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Scotch Brite the inside of the receiver. That bolt should move freely. I had a similar problem with a Kingston Armory Receiver and a JWH bolt. Put a oem bolt in and it ran fine. Put the JWH bolt into a Ruger Receiver and it ran fine. But not together. In a few years ill try it again. Hopefully the oem bolt will smooth out the KA receiver.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:49 PM
Maricopa Smitty
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
You state that the barrel seats OK in the receiver, but I think there's a chance the receiving bore in the new receiver may be deeper than the reduced-diameter section of the barrel. (the part that engages the receiver). If you have a dial caliper, measure the depth of the barrel bore in the receiver, and the corresponding length of the barrel "spud". I don't know what those dimensions should be, but clearly if the receiver is too deep, you'll have a headspace problem. I would also check the length of the receiver extension into which the barrel clamping screws are threaded - same problem if that sticks too far out from the receiver.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:27 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
if the front face of the bolt is touching the rear face of the barrel, there is no headspace problem..headspace in a 10/22 is controlled by the depth of the pocket in the face of the bolt

so a barrel seating to deep into the receiver may cause feeding problems, but that can't cause headspace problems