Brimstone - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-14-2019, 04:00 PM
barefoot
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Brimstone

I had my triggers done by Brimstone over a decade ago. Recently on my full stock I had the gun going full auto at random times. It seams something wore down after 20.000 rounds. I contacted them to purchase a new sear, they insisted I ship it to them. Two weeks later all is well. After all this time it is covered by warranty. It shoots great and feels better than ever.
This is a great company with good prices and great service. they do more than triggers, give them a try.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:24 PM
Gork22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good to know about there warranty. Sent in a trigger group on the 5th. Got email two days ago it's been shipped and I'll have it back this friday.great turn around time. Can't wait to try it out. Glad they took care of you.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:33 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (126)
David and his crew are great to deal with, and you found out that they stand behind their work 100%.
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2019, 04:47 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great People, they do a great job and stand by their work!
Old 11-15-2019, 08:56 AM
FiremanBob
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It would very interesting to read the diagnosis on why it went bad, no matter how many rounds it took.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:58 PM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanBob View Post
It would very interesting to read the diagnosis on why it went bad, no matter how many rounds it took.
I doubt it was anything they did. I've had triggers go full auto on me right out of the box. Parts on any trigger are going to wear after 20,000 rounds. It's nice to see that they still stand behind work they did after 10 years and that many rounds.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:11 PM
KB22RF

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Add me to the list of happy brimstone trigger customers. They do a great job. I had their least expensive job and my trigger came back with a nice crisp 2lb pull.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had two Ruger 10/22 polymer trigger groups reworked by Brimstone and I am happy with both. The least expensive Tier 3 trigger job yielded a 2 lb 1 ounce trigger that was a great improvement over the stock trigger.

The Tier 2 trigger job yielded a 2 lb 2 ounce trigger that was even nicer, nicer enough in fact that I would suggest that anyone considering the Tier 3 trigger job spring for another $40 and go with the Tier 2.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:35 PM
Empe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Mine went full auto after only a couple of thousand rounds . I sent it back and it was returned in a couple weeks . it's been fine since .
Old 11-15-2019, 07:44 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (126)
One issue that should be mentioned is the use of oil for lubrication. It's fine if you like breaking your rifle down after every shoot and cleaning the oily powder residue out of the action.
If the crud builds up in the hammer notch you will have issues.
I switched to One Shot spray cleaner and dry lube long ago and am happy with the results.
I just deep cleaned a 10/22 that had not been fully dis-assembled in several years, and the trigger group was still very clean, no buildup anywhere.
It's had several thousand rounds with only an occasional bore snaking sprayed with One Shot.
I do take care to give the rifle a good spray of One Shot at the range before starting a shooting session.
I failed to do that last time at the range with this rifle because someone else put it into service and I forgot about it. At the 200 or so mark it had an Out of Battery Discharge that ruined the magazine.
Luckily it was in my hands when it happened.
That is why I broke it down for cleaning and inspection. Other than the mag eating it there were no issues.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:02 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm aboard this dry lube train as well. I've read on forums of people using motor oil to clean guns, and then watching several others back them up on that. Seriously? That just attracts dust and gunk to it. Maybe that works for somebody, but I'm not trying it.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:10 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have (4) firearms with Brimstone Tier 2 trigger jobs so I am pleased to hear they stand behind their work. Also, good input on the One-Shot lube suggestion as those actions do seem to buildup powder residue rather quickly so we will give that a try.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:34 AM
Racer X

TPC Rating: 
96% (25)
This is one possible explanation for a high mileage trigger assembly doubling or going full auto.

Machined trigger components are usually surface hardened. If you remove metal too deep, you get into the soft stuff, which will wear more quickly. One way around this is to case harden the part after the work is done.

The newer parts on many firearms are Metal Injection Molded (MIM). They don't look as sexy or pretty, but their molecular structure is completely different, but they are the same hardness all the way through. So you take off a few thou, and it is still just as hard. Take off 250 though, still as hard. Cut it in hazlf, the center is just as hard. Not sure if Ruger has gone to MIM parts in 10/22 trigger assemblies, or in the Mark pistols, but it is great at least for sear and other wear components that need close tolerances.

I took out a stock machined sear in a Mark III pistol, and it had worn so much that I was surprised it would still hold the hammer back. Glad I never dropped it loaded and "cocked".

S&W went to MIM components because they could be made to closer tolerances, they wore FAR longer, and were cheaper. I have an early 6906 with machined trigger components, and a 5906 full size later production with MIM parts. The hammer looks kinda dorky compared to machined and flash chromed version, but the whole trigger feel is so much better than the 6906.

It is VERY common for Bubba to do a "trigger job" on a mil-spec AR trigger group and have it wear quickly and go full auto as they aren't hardened very deeply, as a rule. Better groups have wire EDM cut tool steel parts.

Last edited by Racer X; 11-16-2019 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:23 PM
barefoot
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Guilty

I am guilty of the not cleaning and lube problem. I have just switched to dry lube.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:02 PM
ricky9x22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
I am guilty of the not cleaning and lube problem. I have just switched to dry lube.
And I bet once you get use to using the dry lube, you will never go back to the old way!
Rick