Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-08-2019, 04:46 PM
CodeMonkey
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I'd like to pick up a rimfire semiauto for practice, plinking, and potentially complete in our local club's NLR22 matches. I regularly shoot ARs and long range centerfiire rifles and also do most of my own gunsmithing so I'm very familiar with firearms in general.

I've looked around locally and the only models I've found are the cheap 10/22 varieties, the TCR22, and a Savage A22 BTV with a thumbhole laminate stock. I've owned a couple of 80's era 10/22s in the past, and I don't remember either one being particularly good or bad. I own a couple of Savage centerfires, but I don't my have any experience with T/C. The Ruger precision rimfire is also available and bears consideration, but it's a bolt action and not quite what I have in mind.

The TCR22 is interesting for the integral rail and the last round hold-open, but I've read that their out of the box accuracy isn't much better than most 10/22s. I also read that their triggers aren't any better than the 10/22, and going to a 10/22 aftermarket trigger you lose the last round hold-open.

The A22 is interesting for the nice Boyd's stock, and the fluted varmint weight barrel. My Savage 12FV is bedded in a Boyd's stock and it is a tack driver. The A22 also has the accutrigger which I'm sure is better than either the Ruger or T/C.

So I've got a choice to make. The Rugers are cheaper, but I'm sure they're also "cheaper" out of the box. The T/C and the Savage are the same price, have more desirable features out of the box, but both represent some unknowns. I'm not really looking for a project gun, at least not right away, so the idea of buying a cheap rifle and rebuiling it doesn't really appeal to me right now. I'd like something that the kids can plink with, but could also be used to make a decent showing in an NRL22 match.

I really want to stay local instead of ordering something, so these are pretty much what I have available. Any help with my choice is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:22 PM
Hotdoginabiscuit

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Check the Savage sub forum out. Lots of people happy with their A22s. Will your local shops not order something for you?
Old 12-08-2019, 05:31 PM
CodeMonkey
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unfortunately the only "real" gun store we had locally closed about a year ago (not for lack of business, the owner decided to pursue other interests), so I'm basically referring to Academy, Walmart, and Atwood's stores. I've got a few FFL's around that will do transfers but I'd rather be able to put hands on it before I commit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2019, 06:02 PM
JHB51
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What class are you interested in base or open. That is the first decision.
Base class Tikka and CZ are the top runners. Savage bolt guns are next down the list as far as semiauto the top end 10-22s with trigger work aren't to bad in local matches.
A good shooter can go a long way with a decent rifle as long as the scope and ammo are up to it.
NRL22 is a lot of fun I shoot open class and my set up will consistently group 1/2" at 50 yds. When I do my part if I miss a shot it is my own fault.
Shoot a match with what you have and see how you like it. You may find it an enjoyable challenge or a frustrating endeavor.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:22 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Brimstone can do an economical trigger job and keep your last shot hold open on the T/CR22.

Check with your local Academy on their refund policy. If you order on their website and ship to store, will the store cancel and refund the order if you donít accept possession after handling it?
Old 12-08-2019, 06:26 PM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My TC/R is very accurate. I love it. Its hands down a better optioned rifle than the 10/22
Old 12-08-2019, 07:52 PM
CodeMonkey
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd definitely be shooting base class for the time being. I really like the TCR22 for the kids. The size and weight are easy for them to deal with. I wonder though if the Savage might not be the more accurate, if their bolt guns are doing well. Surely they use the same barrels, I know they use the same mags, so it seems like the only difference would be the bolt and possibly the chamber (maybe more generous for better feeding). On the other hand, I guess the T/C would be easier to mod down the road if I got more serious about NRL22 though. Decisions, decisions...

I guess I'll make another round of the stores and put hands on them all again and see what feels the best, and then maybe go flip a coin. Thanks all for the input. I'm thankful for a community with all this experience to ask.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:12 AM
CodeMonkey
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just to close the loop here, I was unexpectedly down in the city yesterday and after the business was done, decided to swing by Cabela's to put hands some rifles again since I could side-by-side them all in one place.

TL/DR; I walked out with a Tikka T1x MTR.

I had them pull a 10/22 sporter, a TCR22, and an A22 (not the thumbhole) so I could compare them all in one place. I had pretty much settled on the TCR22 at that point. As the guy was putting them back I noticed the Tikkas on the rack, and remembering what JHB51 said about Tikkas in base class I asked to see one. It was pretty much a done deal after that. There's something about the feel of the Tikka that is the opposite of "cheap". Even the factory synthetic stock actually feels solid, instead of being a cheap piece of tupperware designed to keep the cost down. It was about $100 more for the Tikka, but it just felt like the Tikka was on a whole other level in terms of fit and finish and overall quality.

I think in the future, if I find myself wanting a plinker or something lighter and handier (maybe for some future grandkids or something) I'll go with the TCR22. But for the immediate future I'll have to see how well I can get this Tikka to shoot.

Thanks everyone for all the help!
Old 12-10-2019, 10:02 AM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hmmm, the Tika looks very nice and I'm sure it is a level above Ruger and Savage entry level rifles but I thought you wanted a semi-auto. You said you considered the Ruger Precision Rimfire but dismissed it because it is a bolt gun.

I have a lightly modified 10/22 that I use for Steel Challenge matches. It is a very nice gun but quilt-edge accuracy isn't needed for this use.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:09 AM
JHB51

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good choice that Tika will make the 10-22 look like a shot gun. Now to find a scope that focuses down to 25 yards and the ammo it likes.