Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:35 PM
goodjavstexas

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Heavy taper barrel for 10/22: Hunter/STD class

I bought this Green Mountain 17” Heavy taper barrel today. Will this be legal for Hunter class with the tapered barrel?

I’m looking to get in to the sport and would like to build a rifle that makes weight for Rimfire Sporter CMP (7.5 lb’s) and meets all the rules for Hunter Class. If my math is right on the other components it should make CMP weight no problem. It’s just the legality of having a tapered barrel be Hunter Class legal is the question

I’m good if it doesn’t make Hunter class and it’s only Standard class legal because I’m only doing Silhouette and Rimfire Sporter to get better at XTC/Service Rifle competition. But man it sure would be nice for it to be legal for both classes. I’m definitely going to jump in to this competition/money pit eventually and build a dedicated gun, but right now all my resources are in shooting Service Rifle.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/901701-...taper-sporter/

DESCRIPTION
.22LR, 1:16 Twist, 17", 416SS, 2.15lbs. Heavy Tapered Barrel for the 10/22. Barrel tapers from .920" at approximately 1.5" from receiver to .760" at the muzzle, it may require some relieving of the factory stock channel for proper fit. Button Rifled, Stress Relieved, Air Gauged, with a Bentz chamber.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:21 PM
joemo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I'm not an expert but it looks like your ok, as long as it is not a thumbhole stock and the trigger pull is above two pounds it should meet hunting rifle guidelines. (CMP trigger weights might be higher than two pounds, but I'm not sure)
Old 12-05-2019, 11:24 PM
JDMANN

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CMP trigger minimum is 3.0#. Tapered barrels are allowed in Hunter Class. Bull barrels are not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2019, 10:48 AM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am considering buying that barrel. I would sure like to hear what you think of it after you get to shoot it a bit.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:43 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pblanc View Post
I am considering buying that barrel. I would sure like to hear what you think of it after you get to shoot it a bit.
Lots of info on RFC about the GMHT barrels. Almost everyone I've heard from have been very happy with them and find them to be quite accurate. Possibly the best barrel GM makes.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:31 AM
goodjavstexas

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the clarification guys. I blinged our and got one of them fancy 1 stage Kidd triggers, it will easily adjust to the 2 and 3 pound weight limit of the two disciplines.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:51 AM
Thomasconnor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (77)
Custom Option...

Regarding a heavy taper barrel, I wanted something out of the ordinary and deep polished blue. Given what my build was going to cost, I didn't care for the 3/4" slip fit between barrel and receiver or a matte blue barrel. Not that there's anything wrong with the slip fit, I wanted something different; not for everyone.

To make it even easier, I had a few barrels, among them Anschutz 1712 barrels that I had $100 each into.

Randy at CPC cut (seven ounces off), fitted and threaded the barrel to a 10/22 receiver. Actually he's done two for me. Randy's charge was about $150 each. Total cost was about $250 for a custom chambered and threaded (to the receiver) Anschutz barrel. I think the trigger cost more. Shoots great and wasn't much more (about $100 net?) than a slip fit GM setup.

The point is to remind folks that Randy makes custom options available. I have a matte Cooper 57M barrel and a gloss 1416 HB AV Suppressor threaded barrel I was going to have Randy mount but never got around to them...Tom

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=913746

1712 BARRELS: