Stock 10-22 accuracy - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:49 AM
bucko
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroopyBassets75 View Post
All good points, but also something to consider for squirrel rifles is weight. The lightness of a carbine is great for some, but bad for others. My hands are very shaky, so a heavier barrel is beneficial in keeping me steady in the field for better shots. I don't hunt anymore but if I were to, the heavier the better and often an aftermarket barrel is the cheapest and most effective way to add weight for stability for offhand shots IMO. Just something to chew on.
I have both. An ultra light and a heavier with a 16.5 stainless fluted. It has taken me sometime to get used to the ultra lite but I am better with it now. I still miss my heavier one but enjoy the lightness of the other. Now I have finally gone to suppressed and I am learning to hunt with sv or ss exclusively and now I miss my hv. Go figure! I am never happy!
Old 11-28-2019, 10:05 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
"As far as getting another 22, I doubt anyone here will try to talk you out of that. Before going too far down that road, do more reading on RFC to get some idea of what interests you, and at least set a preliminary budget. Some of your fellow RFC members will try to talk you past that limit. Fair warning"

This^^^ There is a lot of benchrest mentality around here! Nothing wrong with it other than very few of us need it including me. I am a perfect example of going too far. I built a squirrel gun that will shoot low fours with CCI SV off of a bench at 50 with a good shooter behind it. I've got close to a grand in it. Problem is in the field shooting offhand I'll do good if I can hold an inch at 35 yards.
#1. Yeah, it's like bringing a bunch of enablers to an intervention.....

#2. But at least you know that the gun has been taken out of the equation, and you can just concentrate on your personal accuracy.

Guilty as charged, your honor, on that benchrest mentality.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:22 AM
navybowhunter
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1 to 3 Minute of angle at 50 yards is my experience with a stock 10/22 carbine.

With reputable/decent ammo.

I have a stock pencil barrel I retained that shoots MOA with CCI SV.

Lot of this depends on the trigger squeezer, and the condition of the stock trigger.

This is my experience using a sling shooting in the prone position.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2019, 08:37 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My first 1022, a tupperware carbine,from Buds, circa 2012, was very accurate. At 50 yards with a Tasco 3x9 scope i could shoot the zip ties off rge target stand! Its the luck of the draw, if you get a good barrel, you get a good shooter. That gun became the base for my first target build , and the good barrel languished in the storage closet until recently, when it was resurrected with a few spare parts and a KA receiver that would only work with a stock bolt .
Old 11-29-2019, 08:58 AM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
My first 1022, a tupperware carbine,from Buds, circa 2012, was very accurate. At 50 yards with a Tasco 3x9 scope i could shoot the zip ties off rge target stand! Its the luck of the draw, if you get a good barrel, you get a good shooter. That gun became the base for my first target build , and the good barrel languished in the storage closet until recently, when it was resurrected with a few spare parts and a KA receiver that would only work with a stock bolt .
My own 18.5" barrel tupperware carbine from about the same time was a mediocre shooter. Recently I bought a new take-off 16" barrel to test, and it easily outshot the original barrel. So off it goes to Randy to make it moar betterer. The longer one had no constriction near the muzzle, the short one does. Looking forward to see how this will shoot after its trip east!
Old 11-29-2019, 10:52 AM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I own three Ruger 10/22 carbine models with stock tapered barrels. I would say that if you have a stock carbine that shoots better than 1" groups at 50 yards, you are lucky.

In their book "Customize the Ruger 10/22, 2nd Edition" James and Kathleen House present accuracy data for various stock versions of the Ruger 10/22. These results are given as the extreme spread of five shot groups shot from a bench with sandbag support using a 3-12X AO scope. Five separate 5 shot groups were shot. They tested the carbine with 16 different types of 22lr ammunition.

Five shot group sizes varied from 0.53" to 3.00". Overall average of the five shot groups for all ammo types was 1.31". Not unexpectedly, best average group sizes were obtained with Wolf Match Target (0.95") and SK Standard Plus (0.78") but CCI Standard Velocity also did very well at 0.88".

The average five shot group sizes for the other 13 ammunition varieties varied from 1.09" (Lapua Super Club) to 2.41" (CCI Quick Shok).

Last edited by pblanc; 11-29-2019 at 12:21 PM.