Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Barrel Clamp screw?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  REdwin89 
#1 ·
New to me Rem 597. Just getting into field stripping/cleaning. Front (shorter) take down screw almost completely stripped. Want to order another but only found "Rear Take down" screw at Midway but not "Front Take down" screw. Is that also called the" Barrel Clamp" screw or is that something else?

Hand me down rifle but think I'd like to fix her up. :)

#3 ·
btw-the little hex bolt/screw that holds the barrel clamp, that holds the barrel and receiver together, shouldn't be tightened more than 30 inch pounds. If you break the aluminum 'ears' on the receiver you'll need a new receiver as its serial marked and the 'ears' unfixable. If the barrel doesn't wobble it should be good.

#7 ·
Waiting for VQ hammer and some new springs and stock screws to come in so polished the guide rails and bolt rails and bottom and worked on the barrel clamp screw. Man was it tightened down. Cleaned it up along with the crud around the clamp. Lightly tightened it down with a little blue locktight. This rifle was purchased in 2008 and was never cleaned so I wanted to clean up whatever I could. Now waiting on those parts!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.